Upper Peninsula Railroading

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Upper Peninsula Railroading

Unread post by CSXBOY »

In a month or so, I will be heading back to upper Michigan (mostly Marquette) to visit some friends that live up there. I know this has been discussed years ago in a different thread, but I wanna know how accurate it is in 2023. I also have not been up to the U.P in about three years. Can someone give me some advice about railroading up there? I know it is extremely sparse due to the geography. I know the deal about the LS&I and the greens, they will bring them out whenever they really have to. But what about the CN in Marquette? Can someone explain their operations if they can? Also what is this new Foxy railroad near Newberry MI? when kind of operations do they run? Also are the road trains that go to and from Sault Ste Marie are those times accurate in 2023? Much help would be appreciated. I am also driving solo up to Marquette so I got a bit of time to explore some stuff up there.

Thanks

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Re: Upper Peninsula Railroading

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

CSXBOY wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 3:37 pm
In a month or so, I will be heading back to upper Michigan (mostly Marquette) to visit some friends that live up there. I know this has been discussed years ago in a different thread, but I wanna know how accurate it is in 2023. I also have not been up to the U.P in about three years. Can someone give me some advice about railroading up there? I know it is extremely sparse due to the geography. I know the deal about the LS&I and the greens, they will bring them out whenever they really have to. But what about the CN in Marquette? Can someone explain their operations if they can? Also what is this new Foxy railroad near Newberry MI? when kind of operations do they run? Also are the road trains that go to and from Sault Ste Marie are those times accurate in 2023? Much help would be appreciated. I am also driving solo up to Marquette so I got a bit of time to explore some stuff up there.

Thanks
FOXY is not in the U.P., that would be the Grand Elk.

CN traffic is not very prevalent but there is at least one local that runs towards L’Anse and I think another that interchanges with the LS&I. The L’Anse local ties up in Baraga for the night, last I knew.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

AFAIK, the greens are done. LS&I just recently received 3 more AC4400s from CEFX to replace them.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Last I heard WATCO operates the Newberry Sub as follows:
- Day 1 Newberry to Trout Lake Turn
- Day 2 Newberry to Munising
- Day 3 Munising to Newberry
Days 4-6 Repeat this a second time

However, I don’t know what day is considered Day 1 and I’ve heard there might be a day off between the 1st and 2nd cycle.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

NSSD70ACe wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 7:34 am
CSXBOY wrote:

Thanks
FOXY is not in the U.P., that would be the Grand Elk.

CN traffic is not very prevalent but there is at least one local that runs towards L’Anse and I think another that interchanges with the LS&I. The L’Anse local ties up in Baraga for the night, last I knew.
CN filed a discontinuance of rail service between L'Anse and Baraga in late 2019. Previously, the line was out of service as operations changed and the crews no longer needed to overnight in Baraga.
AARR wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 9:33 am
Last I heard WATCO operates the Newberry Sub as follows:
- Day 1 Newberry to Trout Lake Turn
- Day 2 Newberry to Munising
- Day 3 Munising to Newberry
Days 4-6 Repeat this a second time

However, I don’t know what day is considered Day 1 and I’ve heard there might be a day off between the 1st and 2nd cycle.
I believe that is how CN was scheduling it prior to the Watco takeover as well. I've gotten lucky with finding them leaving Trout Lake late morning and arriving in Newberry in the early afternoon. They do work weekends with that schedule depending on when the off-days are! It is really cool to see trains use the spur to LP in Newberry as it parallels Parmalee Street, which honestly counts as unofficial street running.

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

Thank you all for the information!

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

I caught Grand Elk at the M-28 crossing north of Trout Lake headed back to Newberry this afternoon.

They may be running the same rotation as CN. Tuesday Thursday Saturday to Trout Lake and Monday Wednesday Friday to Munising.

i995impalass
Yooper Foamer

Unread post by i995impalass »

CSXBOY wrote:

Thanks
LS&I runs as the boat traffic dictates. Full shipping season is here. Crew start times are 7-3-11 out of MQT and Eagle Mills. 7 out of EM, you can typically catch the Weigher daily headed to the mine. Delivers loads to Partridge in the afternoon and back to EM. Tilden job when on (any of the start times) empties out (or lite engine), two pulls in per shift. Hill can run any shift, two trips on the hill per tour. Dock can run any shift, typically 5 shoves. Jobs can be combined (Dock/hill, Yard/Hill) and traverse the railroad as needed. Greens are being phased out. Only 3073 and 3009 are running. 3011/3000/3074 are on the dead line awaiting scrap. 1008/1009/1013 are on property and getting the bugs worked out, which 1013 will soon be going back to CITX, cuz its problems. No clue on replacement, but will be a AC4400. 3 Tilden if ran, will typically have freight with them for a switch at the mine and also delivers the released freight to CN at Queens for 551 to pick up.

CN runs out of Ishpeming and Gladstone. Nothing in Marquette city proper. Gladstone has 549 that runs to Sawyer/Partridge during the day. 551 is the old 745, that runs afternoons to Eagle Mills, delivers the vans and freight. 539 is the Ishpeming job to Partridge, 540 is the Ishpeming job to L'Anse. Ishpeming crew works towards L'Anse Monday, switches, attempts to return to Ishpeming or Nestoria area. Tuesday, they will recrew and head to Ishpeming/ Partridge meet with 549 crew, return towards Ishpeming and repeat.

Trout Lake is serviced by Watco as of January 2022 and my upstanding is the schedule is still similar to how it was with CN.. I don't follow that side if the UP, could have changed.

Mineral Ranges is out of Ishpeming and runs as needed to Humbolt, mainly Monday-Wed-Friday and services the Pluto sub as needed (at least twice a week).

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

So according to the CN train symbols wiki, CN L551 seems to on duty in Gladstone at around 1500. Is this CN train symbols wiki accurate? I know in the past it wasn't as accurate. I would love to do that chase from Gladstone on my way to Marquette. It looks to be a fun chase as M-35 seems to follow the CN main north. Also what times does the CN road trains to and from Sault Ste Marie usually get to Gladstone? I remember reading they used to switch the yard and maybe crew change there. I could be wrong.

CSXBOY
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by CSXBOY »

Sorry for the late update. I've had an insanely busy summer with so many things. I had a blast on this trip. I didn't do many train related things in Marquette but I shot a couple LS&I trains and it was a good time. Maybe I'll get back up there again one of these days. Thanks for all of the help!

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Anyone have any type of timing or schedule for the Port Inland Railroad or the mining railroad at Cedarville?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

MQT1223 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:32 pm
Anyone have any type of timing or schedule for the Port Inland Railroad or the mining railroad at Cedarville?
I believe both are now mostly inaccessible to the public, unless you trespass. I think the Cedarville operation does cross at least 2-3 public roads via bridges. Timing or schedule varies.

The only public crossing on the Port Inland Railroad (Batty Doe Lake Road) was supposedly removed 1-2 years ago after they expanded the quarry.
Last edited by NS3322 on Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

NS3322 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:39 pm
MQT1223 wrote:
I believe both are now inaccessible to the public, unless you trespass. Timing or schedule varies.

The only crossing on the Port Inland Railroad (Batty Doe Lake Road) was supposedly removed 1-2 years ago after they expanded the quarry.
Cedarville I was pretty sure was off limits, but I wasn't sure. I thought there were two areas of the Port Inland Railroad that were public, so I guess unless someone can absolutely confirm I will find out when I go up that way this weekend. Me and a friend are hoping for some fantastic fall colors while we are up there.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

MQT1223 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:42 pm
NS3322 wrote:
Tue Oct 03, 2023 6:39 pm
MQT1223 wrote:
I believe both are now inaccessible to the public, unless you trespass. Timing or schedule varies.

The only crossing on the Port Inland Railroad (Batty Doe Lake Road) was supposedly removed 1-2 years ago after they expanded the quarry.
Cedarville I was pretty sure was off limits, but I wasn't sure. I thought there were two areas of the Port Inland Railroad that were public, so I guess unless someone can absolutely confirm I will find out when I go up that way this weekend. Me and a friend are hoping for some fantastic fall colors while we are up there.
I don’t know if any public access to the Cedarville mine.

It is possible to drive to the lime kiln and stone plant at Port Inland where you can see the cars pushed through the unloader. I don’t know of any other public access to the Gulliver site. Trains move as they are loaded, no set schedule.

Colors will probably be past peak in the UP. I drove through this past weekend and looked to be peak inland with some green left along the lake shores.

Tom Train
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tom Train »

Themain road south out of Gulliver ends at the plant on Lake Michigan

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

A publicly funded organization has been created to protect the White Pine subdivision in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula.

https://www.uppermichiganssource.com/2 ... ommission/

ATTM4150
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ATTM4150 »

Standard Railfan wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:33 pm
A publicly funded organization has been created to protect the White Pine subdivision in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula.

Isn't white pine copper refinery still receiving rail service in white pine?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

It’s been closed for some time. There has been talks of reopening it but nothing has come from those rumors.
ATTM4150 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:33 am
Standard Railfan wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 12:33 pm

Isn't white pine copper refinery still receiving rail service in white pine?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

Yesterday while driving the roads in da U.P., swung thru Newberry to check out the status of the new enginehouse. Looked finished structurally, there was a ballast regulator sitting outside of it. The new WSOR engine was sitting next to the station with the black engine right next to it with someone doing some work on it. Later, caught up with the train westbound almost to Shingleton with the red FURX unit pulling an empty bulkhead flat head out with 5 boxcars behind it.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Buster Manning wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2023 11:48 am
The new WSOR engine was sitting next to the station with the black engine right next to it with someone doing some work on it.
I believe the ex-NS FURX units Watco was leasing went off lease at the start of October. Did you note the WSOR locomotive number?