Plymouth is now busy again??

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Plymouth is now busy again??

Unread post by David Collins »

Hey Guys, Been awhile since I've been here, My friend is telling me Plymouth (like Control Point Plymouth, near station 885), is starting to become busy again, 508/509 are now separate from 150/151. Q568 runs as well as a Q214... So that begs the question, Is Plymouth back to it's status as trains galore?
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Plymouth is now busy again??

Unread post by ns8401 »

David Collins wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:21 pm
Hey Guys, Been awhile since I've been here, My friend is telling me Plymouth (like Control Point Plymouth, near station 885), is starting to become busy again, 508/509 are now separate from 150/151. Q568 runs as well as a Q214... So that begs the question, Is Plymouth back to it's status as trains galore?
In spurts it is.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I was there during a busy moment the other day early in the afternoon. Coal train going north, Mixed freight going west on Detroit Line approaching Plymouth (going to turn south toward Toledo I think) and Yard Job working the main Plymouth Yard.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

What seems to be the busy time/day?
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

Racer
Stops in Oncoming Traffic

Unread post by Racer »

Currently through Plymouth:
Scheduled:
D735/D736
Q568/Q567
Q214/Q215
Q508/Q509
D705 or D706 (depending on day)
Q150/Q151
Q132
Locals/switch jobs:
D738
D716
D714
Unit trains/ extras:
Grain trains for Plymouth Sub destinations and LSRC
Coal trains for Essexville (for 3 more years) via LSRC
Coal trains for St. Clair via LSRC
K596/597 steel slab trains for Detroit
Random fertilizer/seasonal LPG/military/empty nitrogen trains to and from LSRC
Potash trains for Webberville.
Q131 if the Lincoln Secondary is occupied.
D708 very seldom if there are hot cars set off west of town.

So there’s about 17-19 trains a day average through Plymouth currently. It’s not bad, but I grew up in the 90s when it was better times.
"...and I was in the front and Matt grabbed and pulled my ears from behind me and made horsey sounds."

msurailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by msurailfan »

Hey all. Glad to see this site still kicking...haven't been on in about 8 years, since I moved out of MI.

Still head back to MI once or twice a year and got thinking about Plymouth rail scene. Good to see there's still some life. But question....saw elsewhere that LSRC has taken over operations north of Plymouth (i.e. Northville, Wixom, etc.)? Is that correct? What is the traffic like up that corridor now?

TIA

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I think LSRC stations a road crew in Wixom, takes their mixed freight to Flint, turns and goes back.

There is a switcher in Flint that works two shifts. The day shift goes to Atwood M, W & F and to Wixom T & Th. On the way back it works into GTW Flint Yard. From there the night crew heads back to LSRC's Flint Yard switching industries and making up the both road freight trains (the one from Wixom and the other from Saginaw).

It's also my understanding the Midland Turn now originates and terminates in Flint instead of Saginaw.

CSX has trackage rights from Wixom to Flint and then on CN from Flint to Port Huron to service their PH&D branch as well as coal trains on said branch.

LSRC operates coal (1-3x per week) to Essexville (Bay City) and grain extras as needed.

Things may have changed recently so hopefully someone else will post updates for you.
msurailfan wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:07 pm
But question....saw elsewhere that LSRC has taken over operations north of Plymouth (i.e. Northville, Wixom, etc.)? Is that correct? What is the traffic like up that corridor now?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

C&O Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C&O Dispatcher »

I think the CSX train to Port Huron originates at McGrew and LSRC handles the PH traffic north from Wixom and vice versa for the CSX PH run.

C&O Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

The busiest that I remember Plymouth was mid 70's to early 80's -- around 30-35 manifest trains per day plus coal, grain and locals. But, I suppose you've heard me say this a million times by now! This was, of course, prior to the CP trains, but by then CSX was running fewer manifests of their own.

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

C&O Dispatcher wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:55 pm
The busiest that I remember Plymouth was mid 70's to early 80's -- around 30-35 manifest trains per day plus coal, grain and locals. But, I suppose you've heard me say this a million times by now! This was, of course, prior to the CP trains, but by then CSX was running fewer manifests of their own.
When exactly did the CP trains actually start running over the PM?

C&O Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

I don't recall exact date, but someone will. I seem to recall the very first ones actually ran Det-Toledo and then over the B&O to Deshler and then west. Not sure when started running via GR.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I have always heard 1986 or so.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

I vividly recall seeing an Engine with "Soo Line" painted on the side of it running through Lake Odessa in early 1987 (winter months) from my 6th grade classroom. It was the first time I had seen that livery on an engine in Lake O. There may have been some running before then but I know they were running in 1987.
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline

msurailfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by msurailfan »

AARR wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:05 pm
I think LSRC stations a road crew in Wixom, takes their mixed freight to Flint, turns and goes back.

There is a switcher in Flint that works two shifts. The day shift goes to Atwood M, W & F and to Wixom T & Th. On the way back it works into GTW Flint Yard. From there the night crew heads back to LSRC's Flint Yard switching industries and making up the both road freight trains (the one from Wixom and the other from Saginaw).

It's also my understanding the Midland Turn now originates and terminates in Flint instead of Saginaw.

CSX has trackage rights from Wixom to Flint and then on CN from Flint to Port Huron to service their PH&D branch as well as coal trains on said branch.

LSRC operates coal (1-3x per week) to Essexville (Bay City) and grain extras as needed.

Things may have changed recently so hopefully someone else will post updates for you.
msurailfan wrote:
But question....saw elsewhere that LSRC has taken over operations north of Plymouth (i.e. Northville, Wixom, etc.)? Is that correct? What is the traffic like up that corridor now?
Appreciate the insight! My folks are still in Northville so I'd be interested in catching an LSRC move at some point next time I head back.

C&O Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

It was either 1987 or 88 that I recall a derailment somewhere on the Plymouth Sub and they detoured an eastbound CP train via Baldwin and Saginaw. I didn't get to participate since it was already off the Ludington Sub into Saginaw and headed south when I went in to work that day. Might have even been 1986.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

AARR wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:05 pm

msurailfan wrote:
AARR- if CSX has a train for PHD biz, do they take it themselves up to Flint or does LSRC drive it for them between Wixom and Flint? I know I’ve asked this in the past but have never seen a clear answer.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

LSRC moves all of the CSX traffic for the PH&D on their own trains between Plymouth and Flint. CSX has their own job that runs out of Port Huron over to Flint and back to interchange.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

geeb557
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by geeb557 »

The Soo/CP trains started running in early August 1985. I saw the first 500 go east by MA Tower in Lansing at 3:45 am on August 8th. Power was 4 Soo SD40-2's: 6621, 6623, 6619 & 6622. The train had 30 loads, 15 empties with Soo wide vision cabooses 93 & 8 on the rear.

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

geeb557 wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:11 am
The Soo/CP trains started running in early August 1985. I saw the first 500 go east by MA Tower in Lansing at 3:45 am on August 8th. Power was 4 Soo SD40-2's: 6621, 6623, 6619 & 6622. The train had 30 loads, 15 empties with Soo wide vision cabooses 93 & 8 on the rear.
Perfect, thanks for answering that one!

GTWwatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWwatcher »

Racer wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:11 pm
Currently through Plymouth:
Scheduled:
D735/D736
Q568/Q567
Q214/Q215
Q508/Q509
D705 or D706 (depending on day)
Q150/Q151
Q132
Locals/switch jobs:
D738
D716
D714
Unit trains/ extras:
Grain trains for Plymouth Sub destinations and LSRC
Coal trains for Essexville (for 3 more years) via LSRC
Coal trains for St. Clair via LSRC
K596/597 steel slab trains for Detroit
Random fertilizer/seasonal LPG/military/empty nitrogen trains to and from LSRC
Potash trains for Webberville.
Q131 if the Lincoln Secondary is occupied.
D708 very seldom if there are hot cars set off west of town.

So there’s about 17-19 trains a day average through Plymouth currently. It’s not bad, but I grew up in the 90s when it was better times.
Holy cow, I've been looking for something like this! Thanks.