Grayling and Gaylord

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Grayling and Gaylord

Unread post by chapmaja »

So with the discussion of the energy place going in up in Gaylord, it got me wondering, what is the current customer list on the Bay City to Gaylord line?

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Grayling and Gaylord

Unread post by NS3322 »

chapmaja wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:40 pm
So with the discussion of the energy place going in up in Gaylord, it got me wondering, what is the current customer list on the Bay City to Gaylord line?
See this listing (I just recently organized them by subdivision). It should be fairly accurate.
http://railroadfan.com/wiki/index.php/L ... _Customers

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

NS3322 wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:08 pm
chapmaja wrote:
See this listing (I just recently organized them by subdivision). It should be fairly accurate.
Thanks for taking the time to organize them.

GTWwatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWwatcher »

NS3322 wrote:
chapmaja wrote:
This is kind of off topic, but do you have any info about the transload in Wixom? I've never heard of it.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

GTWwatcher wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:23 pm
NS3322 wrote:
chapmaja wrote:
This is kind of off topic, but do you have any info about the transload in Wixom? I've never heard of it.
In one of the LSRC groups on Facebook someone mentioned that they wanted to resume transloading at the yard. Apparently CSX was transloading stuff there at one time but shut it down a few years ago.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

You are correct. CSX used to operate a large transload yard in Wixom. It's been closed for some time but all the tracks are still there. When LSRC acquired the track to Plymouth I suspected the would try to reopen it again.
NS3322 wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:01 pm
In one of the LSRC groups on Facebook someone mentioned that they wanted to resume transloading at the yard. Apparently CSX was transloading stuff there at one time but shut it down a few years ago.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

I decided to look at Google Maps of Wixom. In the image they have, which I am unsure of the date, shows the transload area as non-operational.

In the yard, who LSRC locomotives are at the south end, on the far westernmost track just north of Beck Rd. I think they are SD40-2's, but I am not certain of that (something just doesn't look right for that to be correct).

The track next to the engines has a mix of open hoppers and tank cars (plus 1 boxcar).

There is nothing on either main track through the yard.

On the tracks to the old Wixom plant property. The main running track is clear. There are a couple funny looking pieces of equipment on the siding to the Wixom pole yard.

The two southernmost yard tracks going back to the north of the "main" to the old plant site have covered hoppers stored on them. The northernmost track is clear except for 6 cars (two larger covered hoppers and 4 smaller 3 hatch (the same type stored on the other two tracks).

I don't know how the tracks in the yard are numbers, so my numbering is starting at 1 (the lead track that runs the length of the yard and where the locomotives are) and going sequentially up as the tracks go west).

Tracks 1,2,3, and 6 are clear. Tracks 4, 5, 7, and 8 have covered hoppers stored on them, (all of the shorter variety, many older, but a good mix of newer as well).

The farthest west track in the yard is the one that serves as access to a set out track, the transload, and the wye track is clear. The transload is empty on all 9 tracks. Track 9 (northern most) looks to be in pretty bad shape (but it might be distortion from the camera). The wye track is clear as well, as is the track to the north end of the yard that I think was a team track (with the loading ramp).

In the area surrounding area, nothing is at Somnio (and it looks like the tracks are paved over into the property, but they have a small area they could unload a car if needed) along the driveway.

14 covered hoppers at Korex.

In Holly, Delta Tube has 1 car, it appears to be the flat remains of a former autorack car on the far east track.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

chapmaja wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:00 am
I decided to look at Google Maps of Wixom. In the image they have, which I am unsure of the date, shows the transload area as non-operational.
March 14, 2020. The date is shown if you use Google Earth.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

chapmaja wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:00 am
On the tracks to the old Wixom plant property. The main running track is clear. There are a couple funny looking pieces of equipment on the siding to the Wixom pole yard.
Depressed center flatcars. Transformers or something like that on them.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

I was in Wixom today doing some Christmas shopping. Was going to head down towards the yard on the long driveway off Wixom Rd, but as I turned onto the road, in the distance I saw what appeared to be a police car in the distance. I stopped and acted as if I was pulling off to use my phone. Sure enough a Wixom PD vehicle was driving out of the yard. I did not get a chance to see if anything was in the transload area. From what I could see from basically Wixom Rd, there were only a few cars on the sidings going towards Wixom Rd.

When driving towards the south end of the yard, there was a train, minus power, at the south end of the yard, lead by a load scrap gondola. I did not see any power from where I was at either end of the train.