Partner for Historic Train Depot

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
patriciarayl
Railroadfan...fan

Partner for Historic Train Depot

Unread post by patriciarayl »

Howdy! The Village of Middleville (in Barry County) is looking for proposals from historic train enthusiasts to bring the local train depot back into productive use. The building is in good shape, but has been empty for many years. There are no train tracks any longer, as all in the area have been turned into public trails.

The village is looking for partners to help with sharing the history of the area or rail or something similar. The community is not interested in a shop or other commercial use for fear of diminishing the historic integrity of the depot. Thank you for your consideration.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Partner for Historic Train Depot

Unread post by NS3322 »

patriciarayl wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:42 am
Howdy! The Village of Middleville (in Barry County) is looking for proposals from historic train enthusiasts to bring the local train depot back into productive use. The building is in good shape, but has been empty for many years. There are no train tracks any longer, as all in the area have been turned into public trails.

The village is looking for partners to help with sharing the history of the area or rail or something similar. The community is not interested in a shop or other commercial use for fear of diminishing the historic integrity of the depot. Thank you for your consideration.
Awesome to hear this! I would love to see it become some sort of railroad museum and visitors center for the trail. Willing to assist in any way I can.
Photo of the depot for reference:

patriciarayl
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by patriciarayl »

What organizations are in West Michigan/Mid-Michigan or the State of Michigan that I could talk to in hopes of developing a partnership? Thanks.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

patriciarayl wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:57 am
What organizations are in West Michigan/Mid-Michigan or the State of Michigan that I could talk to in hopes of developing a partnership? Thanks.
Sent you a private message!
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Boxcar54
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Boxcar54 »

Hi I am a lurker here, but this post caught my eye. This reminds me of the old train depot in Dunedin Florida. The old depot is next to a bicycle path (ex Seaboard-Coast/ ex CSX). The depot is a town historical museum. Right next to it is a small coffee shop in an old Boxcar where I sometimes hang out with all the other geezers from MI. I grew up in Plymouth, and left years ago.
EDIT: I tried to add a photo but couldn't.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Your priority to maintain the historic integrity of the building is commendable! Have you reached out to the State Historic Preservation Office yet? They should be able to connect you.

Plannerdad
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Plannerdad »

Check the federal Transportation Alternatives Program (TAP). Rehab costs might be eligible. A public agency will need to apply.

adams_aj
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by adams_aj »

I know it's Virginia but might help to serve as a model for restoration. I've been there and visited it and they did a great job:

https://patch.com/virginia/herndon/reme ... -was-saved

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

patriciarayl wrote:
Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:57 am
Hey patriciarayl, congratulations on the recent listing of the MCRR Middleville Depot in the National Register of Historic Places! A big achievement! Now what's the plan for the depot? :D

MICHIGAN, BARRY COUNTY,
Michigan Central Railroad Middleville Depot,
128 High St.,
Middleville, SG100007564,
LISTED, 3/23/2022
https://www.nps.gov/subjects/nationalre ... -03-25.htm