CN Holly Sub Improvements for Amtrak

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

CN Holly Sub Improvements for Amtrak

Unread post by David Collins »

It appears CN has done some serious work to the Holly Subdivision for Amtrak. Seems as if Amtrak is allowed 70 if not more... Seems to be more 352 that's taking advantage as he passes Opdyke RD or Bloomfield Hills (MP 22.1) at 8:00-8:20. It appears that M1 between MP 16 (troy) and MP 22.1 (Bloomfield Hills) has been worked on... Because I have NEVER seen Amtrak thru Opdyke at this speed... Anyone know what took so long??
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Re: CN Holly Sub Improvements for Amtrak

Unread post by DaveO »

I don't have recent info but the passenger speed in years past was 60.
The removal 10 years ago or so of Yellow Cab would really be the only thing to improve average speed.
It's straight rail now from MAL to Moterm.

That excludes slow orders and there may have been some in the area which have recently been removed.
I think somebody on here might know something about the speeds in the area :wink:

Beyond that, I doubt going down hill from Pontiac at 70 to make a station stop at Troy would be the greatest of ideas.
Going the other way, I'm not sure Amtrak has the horses to do that. :D

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

The track likely has been Class 4 all along, good for 79 MPH passenger, even if for operational reasons passenger speeds were kept lower. On the Flint Sub, Amtrak is mostly held to 65 MPH even though the track is Class 4.

David Collins
Youtube Railfan Guru

Unread post by David Collins »

DaveO wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:45 am
I don't have recent info but the passenger speed in years past was 60.
The removal 10 years ago or so of Yellow Cab would really be the only thing to improve average speed.
It's straight rail now from MAL to Moterm.

That excludes slow orders and there may have been some in the area which have recently been removed.
I think somebody on here might know something about the speeds in the area :wink:

Beyond that, I doubt going down hill from Pontiac at 70 to make a station stop at Troy would be the greatest of ideas.
Well I mean they've got chargers that can do 0-40 in like 30 seconds in terms of horses XD
Ferris State University’s Train Guy

Youtube: Michigan Railfan Films

Flickr: David R. Collins

SC: daveeed1k

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

CN fixed up some slow orders in the Opdyke area, hence why you are seeing the higher speeds over Opdyke Rd. (but it ain't 70 either)
Don't know why going 70 down to Troy would be a big deal....psgr equipment has twice to three times the braking effort as freight....and that hill isn't that big going the other way either...usually only need half throttle to maintain speed