Plymouth Sub Grand Rapids and other lines

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
MikeB89
Railroadfan...fan

Plymouth Sub Grand Rapids and other lines

Unread post by MikeB89 »

Good evening or morning which ever way you look at it.

I'm kind of curious if someone could guide me to some action. I wanted to know how often CSX sends a train down the Plymouth sub towards Detroit. One of these days I would like to record a train going across the old Chessie Bridge on Patterson Ave. I've never seen a train on those tracks at all. Not just that I would love to see a train go across the Thornapple Bridge. Anyone have a general idea on what times are best to catch some trains on this line. I know CSX is small in Grand Rapids these days.

I know the Grand Elk is on the NS lines going North and South to Kalamazoo and wanted to know what are some good times to get action on this line as well considering I live near that line. It would be only a 5 minute drive to the crossings on 36th and what not. I also know the bridges going across Division and 28th are part of the Grand Elk as well and was curious if I would ever see a train go across those bridges. Its the two bridges painted saying "Welcome to Grand Rapids" and "Thank you for visiting Wyoming".

I know CSX has the short track going North along the Grand Valley Campus near downtown and I believe Grand Rapids & Eastern not to far from GRCC campus.

I think on a Saturday after I get settled into my new apartment I really want to spend a whole day train spotting and just would like to know anywhere I could get some decent action.

If anyone has any good suggestions and time frames I should be out and about that would be highly appreciated.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: Plymouth Sub Grand Rapids and other lines

Unread post by SD80MAC »

G-Root Liska wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:53 am

I'm kind of curious if someone could guide me to some action. I wanted to know how often CSX sends a train down the Plymouth sub towards Detroit. One of these days I would like to record a train going across the old Chessie Bridge on Patterson Ave. I've never seen a train on those tracks at all. Not just that I would love to see a train go across the Thornapple Bridge. Anyone have a general idea on what times are best to catch some trains on this line. I know CSX is small in Grand Rapids these days.

I know the Grand Elk is on the NS lines going North and South to Kalamazoo and wanted to know what are some good times to get action on this line as well considering I live near that line. It would be only a 5 minute drive to the crossings on 36th and what not. I also know the bridges going across Division and 28th are part of the Grand Elk as well and was curious if I would ever see a train go across those bridges. Its the two bridges painted saying "Welcome to Grand Rapids" and "Thank you for visiting Wyoming".

I know CSX has the short track going North along the Grand Valley Campus near downtown and I believe Grand Rapids & Eastern not to far from GRCC campus.

I think on a Saturday after I get settled into my new apartment I really want to spend a whole day train spotting and just would like to know anywhere I could get some decent action.

If anyone has any good suggestions and time frames I should be out and about that would be highly appreciated.
Unfortunately, you probably moved to Grand Rapids during the absolute worst time in history for train action in the area.

The only trains CSX runs east of Grand Rapids currently are local jobs Y106 and D707. Y106 runs east in the morning, then turns around at Elmdale and works customers on its way back to GR. D707 runs from Lansing to GR and back 3 days a week, usually always after dark.

Grand Elk's train from Kalamazoo runs M-F and usually arrives into GR in the late afternoon. They also have a local job in GR that will sometimes head south towards 76th St. in the mornings.

The line that goes north through GVSU is part of the old Baldwin sub. CSX runs a local job up there in the evenings, Sunday through Thursday. Grand Elk will also head up that way to interchange with the Grand Rapids Eastern, usually also at night. Marquette Rail's train from Baldwin will also run through there, usually in the morning.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

MikeB89
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MikeB89 »

SD80MAC wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:49 am
G-Root Liska wrote:

Unfortunately, you probably moved to Grand Rapids during the absolute worst time in history for train action in the area.

The only trains CSX runs east of Grand Rapids currently are local jobs Y106 and D707. Y106 runs east in the morning, then turns around at Elmdale and works customers on its way back to GR. D707 runs from Lansing to GR and back 3 days a week, usually always after dark.

Grand Elk's train from Kalamazoo runs M-F and usually arrives into GR in the late afternoon. They also have a local job in GR that will sometimes head south towards 76th St. in the mornings.

The line that goes north through GVSU is part of the old Baldwin sub. CSX runs a local job up there in the evenings, Sunday through Thursday. Grand Elk will also head up that way to interchange with the Grand Rapids Eastern, usually also at night. Marquette Rail's train from Baldwin will also run through there, usually in the morning.
Thank you so much for the information. Its pretty sad to know that there isn't much activity in GR anymore. Seeing how many cars are in the train yards made me think that wasn't the case. I did catch amtrak tonight again doing is maneuver for parking the train at the station and was pretty impressed. Also heard a decent amount of chatter on the scanner for something happening in the yard but couldn't pinpoint where this train was going. Probably D707 like you mentioned. Hopefully someday this line sees more activity. Guess I just have to keep an eye out for things.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

G-Root Liska wrote:

I know the Grand Elk is on the NS lines going North and South to Kalamazoo and wanted to know what are some good times to get action on this line as well considering I live near that line. It would be only a 5 minute drive to the crossings on 36th and what not.
Since you'll be living so close to the Grand Elk line, please post updates when you hear a horn. :wink:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

SD80MAC wrote:
G-Root Liska wrote:

Look for a train to return to running to Detroit next week.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Sweet!
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

Thanks for the info Typhoon. Hopefully they have called back enough to actually run it and I assume they have...but one never knows!
And no, I ain't coming back either. My dreams at night are still work related but that's it...my DREAMS.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

SD80MAC wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:50 pm
Sweet!
Right?!

C&O Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C&O Dispatcher »

Oh for those days when GR fielded 3 to Detroit, 2 to Flint, 2 to Toledo and 1 to Saginaw via the Elmdale Sub (and vice versa westward) over the Plymouth Sub. Back a ways further, add in 6 passenger trains! Oh, and add in some West Olive coal loads and empties. The CP stuff was mostly after my time. Highball!

Tom49801
Bangor Webcam Master

Unread post by Tom49801 »

Heard a conversation today between Q326-04 & Q327-04 saying beginning this Saturday Sept 5th at 1:00am CSX will start running trains designated as "Yard Trains" and in their words "they'll be calling them Yard Trains but they're going to be doing what Q328 & Q329 used to do". There was no mention as to what the train i.d's are going to be, nor, if that 1:00am train will be the Detroit or Grand Rapids departure.
Last edited by Tom49801 on Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Tom49801 wrote:
Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:41 pm
Heard a conversation today between Q326-04 & Q327-04 saying beginning this Saturday Sept 5th at 1:00am CSX will start running trains designated as "Yard Trains" and in their words "they'll be calling them Yard Trains but they're going to be doing what Q328 & Q329 used to do". There was no mention as to what the train i.d's are going to be.
Grapevine says they’ll be D705/706, East one day west the next, likely working Ensel each way and maybe AnnPere, too.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

MikeB89
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MikeB89 »

J T wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:55 pm
G-Root Liska wrote:

I know the Grand Elk is on the NS lines going North and South to Kalamazoo and wanted to know what are some good times to get action on this line as well considering I live near that line. It would be only a 5 minute drive to the crossings on 36th and what not.
Since you'll be living so close to the Grand Elk line, please post updates when you hear a horn. :wink:
If I do I will be glad to update in the update thread. I don't hear much because I'm pretty busy with school and work. So will try my best.

MikeB89
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MikeB89 »

Typhoon wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:03 pm
SD80MAC wrote:
G-Root Liska wrote:

Look for a train to return to running to Detroit next week.
I will try my best to keep an eye out. Thank You