Ann arbor Railroad

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
matt76
Railroadfan...fan

Ann arbor Railroad

Unread post by matt76 »

just wandering if the Ann Arbor Railroad runs on weekends. This would likely be the only days of the week I could railfan the line . Thanks for any info!!

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Ann arbor Railroad

Unread post by AARR »

They may work the Chrysler loading docks on weekends. Also, they may occasionally run to Osmer for a grain extra.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

Recently, kinda. They did a late night run up on this last Sunday night, it just depends. Normally not during the day, but I have seen it before. Saturday mornings SB are generally as good as it gets as a crew finishes up Friday Nights work. Right now your best bets are weekday mornings for seeing them in daylight outside of Toledo.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

With that said, per the Facebook group, they were seen working Willis Rd (Urania Siding) and through Milan this morning, after working Osmer this morning.

The AA will run where they need to when they need to. RS101 (the run north to Osmer), normally is an overnight though and normally they stay in Toledo during the day.

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

It has apparently been somewhat slow over the road recently, however I would never BET on it. Murphys law, the day you try and go for it the train is already LONG gone. Joining the AA Railroad and successor group on FB is your best bet at a timely heads up.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Does AA still interchange Chrysler traffic with NS at Milan? Prior to the pandemic that was a seven day a week operation. It may have changed since.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

AARR wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:10 pm
Does AA still interchange Chrysler traffic with NS at Milan? Prior to the pandemic that was a seven day a week operation. It may have changed since.
I've been that way several times the last three months, and I've seen NS power at the north end of Ottawa Yard on several occasions. I also see AA working the interchange with CSX, where their two yards are nearby.

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

It has.....since NS went PSR-crazy, that move to Milan went away....back to the "old" way again

arty flowers
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by arty flowers »

Didnt NS have a local meet the AA at Milan and drag the autoracks back to Oakwood Yard.

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

There is no longer a local based in Milan. Pre pandemic/ PSR there was a B70 and a B71 based in Milan. They would somewhat alternate taking cars to Oakwood (including the AA racks) and serving customers. They would also go to Adrian. Towards the tail end B71 was also doing Rawsonville. Now B73 does Rawsonville. It is unclear if NS has anything really going on in Milan. The AA just has stored cars in the Milan yard for the time being, and does not do racks there anymore.

ns8401
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ns8401 »

Ypsi wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:18 pm
There is no longer a local based in Milan. Pre pandemic/ PSR there was a B70 and a B71 based in Milan. They would somewhat alternate taking cars to Oakwood (including the AA racks) and serving customers. They would also go to Adrian. Towards the tail end B71 was also doing Rawsonville. Now B73 does Rawsonville. It is unclear if NS has anything really going on in Milan. The AA just has stored cars in the Milan yard for the time being, and does not do racks there anymore.
Just a few centerbeams and 50’ boxcars at this point, the tank cars stored for Marathon’s Toledo refinery are most of the work there. They ask for specific cars and then they get weeded out of the yard. So the NS local comes in the morning and does their work and switches Georgia Pacific and the former spur to the Ford plant on the way East out of town where they’ve been spotting a cut of 50’ high cubes to the mainline side of County St. I have seen at least one high cube within the fence at the plant being unloaded. Not sure what they actually do there now. As far as I know Adrian is completely dead as far as local business and any interchange with the A&B goes. The elevator at Britton no longer receives any shipments either.
Celebrating Over 3800 Posts in HD
This updated Signature Brought To YOU By The One The Only MQT3001!
NS8401, Online, At Trackside And On Your Side