Saginaw Automotive Plants

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GTWwatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Saginaw Automotive Plants

Unread post by GTWwatcher »

Does Nexteer in Saginaw still use rail? If so, what do they ship/receive? Also, when did the GM plant on Washington Ave stop using rail?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Saginaw Automotive Plants

Unread post by AARR »

Last time I checked Nexteer still has a spur into the plant. I've heard they might still get bar stock in by rail.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

joeyuboats
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by joeyuboats »

Used to go up north every day, and would see Lake States once in a while switching gons in/out of the old Saginaw Steering Plant at Holland Ave.----M46, but this was back about 2 years. The yard there was full of stored tankers. Read somewhere that at the next grade crossing, is where HESR trackage began, on that segment.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

joeyuboats wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:48 pm
Used to go up north every day, and would see Lake States once in a while switching gons in/out of the old Saginaw Steering Plant at Holland Ave.----M46, but this was back about 2 years. The yard there was full of stored tankers. Read somewhere that at the next grade crossing, is where HESR trackage began, on that segment.
In 1979 you had 29 thousand people employed by GM in Saginaw County now maybe 2 thousand at Powertrain the old Grey Iron Foundry it's been awhile since i gotta head count there. That's Towerline Rd where LSRC ownership ends and HESR starts. I remember vividly when the Port Huron Sub was totally intact all the way to Port Huron and road train PH77 would start throttling up at Towerline Rd for the run to PH the last one i chased was in March of 1989 for power was a U18B in the lead second unit was a Seaboard System GP38 and trailing unit was a B&O GP30 they had 95 cars of solid mixed freight.

penn central
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by penn central »

penn central wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:46 pm
joeyuboats wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 12:48 pm
In 1979 you had 29 thousand people employed by GM in Saginaw County now maybe 2 thousand at Powertrain the old Grey Iron Foundry it's been awhile since i gotta head count there. That's Towerline Rd where LSRC ownership ends and HESR starts. I remember vividly when the Port Huron Sub was totally intact all the way to Port Huron and road train PH77 would start throttling up at Towerline Rd for the run to PH the last one i chased was in March of 1989 for power was a U18B in the lead second unit was a Seaboard System GP38 and trailing unit was a B&O GP30 they had 95 cars of solid mixed freight.
I have some good news to report i went by the Nexteer plant yesterday and sure enough there was a gondola in there with bar stock to be unloaded that's the first time i have seen that in a good while.