CN puts Wisconsin-Michigan-Ontario lines up for sale

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Tom Train
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CN puts Wisconsin-Michigan-Ontario lines up for sale

Unread post by Tom Train »

The CN runs to L'Anse twice per week with at least 10 cars of ties each trip, on average. Koppers is also in L'Anse.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

AARR wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:24 pm
Thank you for bringing that up, Saturnalia.

As of several years ago they were only "allowed" to burn approximately 50,000 tons per year of used railroad ties. However, they have the capacity to burn as much as approximately 180,000 tons per year (similar number to the plants in lower Michigan including Lincoln and McBain).

Would you say that L'Anse is getting about 10 cars a week or higher (1,800 would equal about 36 cars per week)
I'm pretty sure the cars are cubed-out long before they reach maximum weight, so it's much more than 10 cars per week, in fact I'd guess 20 is probably more the ballpark, though they come in batches so it is uneven and hard to nail down a good average. Old ties just don't really weigh anything! Also, some cars are long mill gons, others are older high-side gons, some are standard gons, etc. Kinda whatever company crap CN has laying around!
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

markkeaton
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by markkeaton »

Tom, does Koppers ship outbound? Treated RR ties? Thankx, Mark

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Koppers probably ships untreated railroad ties. They also ship out from Baldwin, MI. Perhaps other locations too.
markkeaton wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:24 pm
Tom, does Koppers ship outbound? Treated RR ties? Thankx, Mark
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...