Crazy Topic - G&W in Michigan

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Crazy Topic - G&W in Michigan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

PatAzo wrote:What Brookfield says about itself. "Brookfield Infrastructure Partners is a leading global infrastructure company that owns and operates high quality, long-life assets... We are focused on assets that generate stable cash flows and require minimal maintenance capital expenditures." .
To me, it sounds as though Brookfield buys something, runs it into the ground with no reinvestment and then sells out.

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

Standard Railfan wrote:
PatAzo wrote:What Brookfield says about itself. "Brookfield Infrastructure Partners is a leading global infrastructure company that owns and operates high quality, long-life assets... We are focused on assets that generate stable cash flows and require minimal maintenance capital expenditures." .
To me, it sounds as though Brookfield buys something, runs it into the ground with no reinvestment and then sells out.
Where did you read that? Sounds more like a “standard railfan” line of thinking.

The first sentence is key as it infers that they only buy quality assets that are in fine shape, as much of G&W’s assets are currently. The G&W’s cash flow is stable and doesn’t wax and wane dramatically or seasonally. And right after purchase they didn’t have any imminent major capital investments needed.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

LansingRailFan wrote:The first sentence is key as it infers that they only buy quality assets that are in fine shape, as much of G&W’s assets are currently. The G&W’s cash flow is stable and doesn’t wax and wane dramatically or seasonally. And right after purchase they didn’t have any imminent major capital investments needed.
Standard Railfan is taking the pessimistic view of that corporate statement...but there is definite cause to be skeptical of any statement like that. Now there may not be direct evidence in this case, but it is generally not wise to just gobble up that sort of statement, either
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Between what Brookfield says about itself and what Motely Fool says, I read it as if the property has a steady cash flow and doesn't need big influxes of capital they hold onto them. For a short line if you need millions for track work or a bridge replacement in hopes that this year sees a better harvest you might get sold off. If GLC made an attractive offer the property might get sold. If it meets their financial metrics they hold onto it.

Back to the OP I suppose it depends on performance and the potential sale price. Brookfield is a capital manager and money talks.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

I know this will never happen (for many reasons), but why not have CPMY take over the GRE? The GRE would make for a much more scenic run (especially from Ada to Lowell) and give them 3 more customers.

At the very least, if an operator like WMI takes over, CPMY should look into having occasional excursions over the GRE.

kd_1014
Mike

Unread post by kd_1014 »

NS3322 wrote:I know this will never happen (for many reasons), but why not have CPMY take over the GRE? The GRE would make for a much more scenic run (especially from Ada to Lowell) and give them 3 more customers.

At the very least, if an operator like WMI takes over, CPMY should look into having occasional excursions over the GRE.
While I think that is an amazing idea, I don't think CPMY has the funds to purchase the line from Walker to Lowell. They might be able to lease it or have "trackage rights" from whoever the new owners might be. I think the town of Ada is a great place to have a excursion train run through with the line going right through downtown. It has always given me vibes of a town in the Cuyahoga Valley NP in Ohio where their tourist trains run.

Edit: My bad, didn't see the first few words in that post :lol: ! But it is a great idea nonetheless

Schteinkuh
Railcam Terrorizer

Unread post by Schteinkuh »

NS3322 wrote:I know this will never happen (for many reasons), but why not have CPMY take over the GRE?
Big bridge very bad NIGHTMARE NIGHTMARE NIGHTMARE
According to all known laws of aviation, there is no way a bee should be able to fly. Its wings are too small to get its fat little body off the ground. The bee, of course, flies anyway because bees don't care what humans think is impossible.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

SD80MAC wrote:Thankfully, the GRE isn’t in nearly as bad of shape as the WMI, yet....
Bring the GT high hoods to the GRE! Foam neck deep for miles around! :lol: :lol: :lol:
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

kd_1014
Mike

Unread post by kd_1014 »

MQT1223 wrote:
SD80MAC wrote:Thankfully, the GRE isn’t in nearly as bad of shape as the WMI, yet....
Bring the GT high hoods to the GRE! Foam neck deep for miles around! :lol: :lol: :lol:
They are leased currently

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

kd_1014 wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:
They are leased currently
I'm aware, but I'm sure they can be swapped if need be.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

The strategy where a railroad requires “minimal maintenance capital” is called “deferred maintenance”.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Ben Higdon wrote:The strategy where a railroad requires “minimal maintenance capital” is called “deferred maintenance”.
So basically G&W becomes the new PC and Rock Island in terms of track?

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

The Marquette has been laying ballast and tamping so it would appear maintenance isn't being deferred.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

PatAzo wrote:The Marquette has been laying ballast and tamping so it would appear maintenance isn't being deferred.
Only because at this point the have to, most of the RR is 10 mph!
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Here's my $0.03. These corporate holding companies have more layers of upper management than necessary. Lots of former Class 1 guys. If they were very good at what they did........ Lots of good old boys............ Maybe steering business to friends......... Same thing with big engineering companies.
All these layers cost money and gets sucked from the roads. As for deferred maintence, where else can you easily reduce expenditures? Need people to run trains, need loco's to run trains, so what can you skimp on? Track maintenance until you get to 10 mph. Marketing - have one person handle 5 RR's. The person is so busy handling existing customer issues, they can't look for new business. New business generates new revenue - novel thought. Look at GDLK, Lake States, WMRR, 2 people are pretty much responsible for all the new business.
If we every have another meet up or even another on line thing, I can expound further :) Some things don't need to be on the net.
Waiting for the Meijer shopper to show up with groceries, then out for measuring a caboose, checking on the handicap car wiring job, lots of yard work and the best part for today, turning on the power for the lighting on the Whites Bridge. Todd Strain, Strain Electric, and Cat at Consumers in Greenville both got the power installed and energized in spite of the virus restrictions / shut down stuff.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

You said it well, RDD. Compared to the other short lines in MI G&W's railroads don't seem to be picking up as much new business and may even be losing traffic.
Raildudes dad wrote:Here's my $0.03. These corporate holding companies have more layers of upper management than necessary. Lots of former Class 1 guys. If they were very good at what they did........ Lots of good old boys............ Maybe steering business to friends......... Same thing with big engineering companies.
All these layers cost money and gets sucked from the roads. As for deferred maintence, where else can you easily reduce expenditures? Need people to run trains, need loco's to run trains, so what can you skimp on? Track maintenance until you get to 10 mph. Marketing - have one person handle 5 RR's. The person is so busy handling existing customer issues, they can't look for new business. New business generates new revenue - novel thought. Look at GDLK, Lake States, WMRR, 2 people are pretty much responsible for all the new business.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

AARR wrote:You said it well, RDD. Compared to the other short lines in MI G&W's railroads don't seem to be picking up as much new business and may even be losing traffic.
A topic for off line sometime

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Tying back to the OP if G&W would divest some of its Michigan assets. In general private equity posts better returns the public corporations. They hold higher profit expectations and are less tolerant of poor performance. As Raildues Dad points out there is now an additional layer of management. For G&W then their new owners want steady profit, G&W has to kick additional money up the chain to help pay for Brookfield's overhead and they have to cover their cost of capital.

On the MQT I'd noticed speeds around Newaygo were down. If it's a slow down across the railroad due to track condition then the deferred maintenance was occurring prior to Brookfield sale (not that it won't continue). If it was G&W syphoning cash off the MQT or poor financial performance I can't say.

Growth MQT has a limitations. There are not a lot of potential customers along the line. What potential growth there is limited by CSX being their only Class One connection. If the customer doesn't fit CSX forget about it.

Assuming G&W was going to sell some assets who would they sell them to? Watco owns a piece of the GLC and bid on the MQT before it was sold to G&W.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

MQT is limited to interchanging directly only with CSX, but lots of MQT traffic goes via the Grand Elk as well, via the GDLK transfer jobs.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

GLC 392
TSBY/GLC KID

Unread post by GLC 392 »

That’s mostly due to the Sanity Killer, know best as the Sperry and Geometry trucks and the “defects” they find.

PatAzo wrote:Tying back to the OP if G&W would divest some of its Michigan assets. In general private equity posts better returns the public corporations. They hold higher profit expectations and are less tolerant of poor performance. As Raildues Dad points out there is now an additional layer of management. For G&W then their new owners want steady profit, G&W has to kick additional money up the chain to help pay for Brookfield's overhead and they have to cover their cost of capital.

On the MQT I'd noticed speeds around Newaygo were down. If it's a slow down across the railroad due to track condition then the deferred maintenance was occurring prior to Brookfield sale (not that it won't continue). If it was G&W syphoning cash off the MQT or poor financial performance I can't say.

Growth MQT has a limitations. There are not a lot of potential customers along the line. What potential growth there is limited by CSX being their only Class One connection. If the customer doesn't fit CSX forget about it.

Assuming G&W was going to sell some assets who would they sell them to? Watco owns a piece of the GLC and bid on the MQT before it was sold to G&W.