Brine Mine

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Brine Mine

Unread post by Doktor No »

https://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw-bay- ... ation.html I'm sure it has been posted here before but here is an M-Live update incase you're interested.
Just don't inject it into your self to kill the virus!
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Re: Brine Mine

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

So theres 2 Wilkinson's , Materials and Solutions, both owned by the same company. Solutions has been around a long time selling mineral well brine containing calcium and magnesium chlorides. They have been a small player in the dust layer market and anti/deicing market.
It looks like Materials is going to compete with Oxychem in Ludington although Oxychem may have changed it's focus to the food grade calcium chloride as opposed to winter maintenance products.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Wilkinson's was transloading into tank cars on LIRR. Perhaps a car or two once in a while.

Recently, within the last year, the started loading tank cars on a team track in Millington. Perhaps a few cars every week or two. I don't know if they still use LIRR.

There was a newspaper article saying they will start production in Bay City on LSRC and produce 500,000 tons annually of dry and liquid material. I heard LSRC is already shipping some of their product.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

I was curious if liquid calcium chloride was worth transporting.
Home Depot sells a 275 gallon tote of 35% solution for $1090.99 with free pick-up at the store. I guess that means it's worth it.
Add $55.00 for curbside shipping.
Not sure how much to add for health care costs moving it from the curb. :D

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

I can guarantee you won't pay $3.97 / gal if you buy a tanker truck or rail car load. My employer buys food grade liquid sodium for $0.70 / gallon shipped from Rittman OH.

Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

Raildudes dad wrote:I can guarantee you won't pay $3.97 / gal if you buy a tanker truck or rail car load. My employer buys food grade liquid sodium for $0.70 / gallon shipped from Rittman OH.
Liquid Sodium? That stuff must come in hot! :shock:

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Liquid sodium chloride :) Salt water, food grade

arty flowers
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by arty flowers »

Many of the articles state that the product will be brought in by ship, Lake States has made a few shipments so far, how involved will the railroad be in inbound and outbound shipments.

Jim_c
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Jim_c »

I believe the article said calcium chloride, not sodium chloride.
Trails to Rails. Put the track back.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

Standard Railfan wrote:
Raildudes dad wrote:I can guarantee you won't pay $3.97 / gal if you buy a tanker truck or rail car load. My employer buys food grade liquid sodium for $0.70 / gallon shipped from Rittman OH.
Liquid Sodium? That stuff must come in hot! :shock:
I would say packed in oil. You don't want that stuff coming in contact with water. It will be an explosive situation.

CAT345C
RedNeck Train Chaser

Unread post by CAT345C »

DaveO wrote:I was curious if liquid calcium chloride was worth transporting.
Home Depot sells a 275 gallon tote of 35% solution for $1090.99 with free pick-up at the store. I guess that means it's worth it.
Add $55.00 for curbside shipping.
Not sure how much to add for health care costs moving it from the curb. :D
Oh yea, Oxy in Ludington Ships it out in tank cars. Used to take 22ish a day 5 days a week to load, as well as tanker barges that they used to load. It went all over North America.
Making the railroad all Catywompus since 2008

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66353741@N07/02EZ1e

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

I've been doing the work remote thing, not as efficient, takes longer so I'm busier than ever but I'm still getting paid.
Here's the latest pricing including trucking to GR MI from either Ludington 32 & 38% or St Louis MI 26%
Liquid Calcium Chloride 32% $0.44 Manufactured Ludington
Liquid Calcium Chloride 38% $0.50 Manufactured Ludington
Liquid Calcium Chloride 26% $0.16 - Mineral well brine St Louis
Liquid Sodium Chloride 26% $0.70 Manufactured Rittman
The liquid sodium is used for anti icing, the white streaks on the bridge decks in Kent County. The sodium dries up. If we used liquid calcium, it looks wet and never really dries up. This has virtually eliminated black ice in Kent County.
Another location that gets the anti icing every 2-3 days depending on weather is I-96 over the Grand River in Portland. That location used to get hit by black ice quite often but not any more. There's quite a science to how black ice occurs and can be prevented but that's an explanation for another day.