CSX / MIGN / Marquette / Grand Elk - GR Northside

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CSX / MIGN / Marquette / Grand Elk - GR Northside

Unread post by Standard Railfan »

J T wrote:really cool
Thank you for posting the bridge photo. A very fine bridge indeed.
:D

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

J T wrote:There's a really cool double arch stone bridge just east of Wilson Ave.
Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 8.44.42 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 8.40.28 AM.jpg
Me and Trevor were just talking about this bridge the other day and couldn't tell what was there. This is way more then what I expected... gorgeous little bridge.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

J T wrote:
chapmaja wrote:When was the PRR line removed? Did the PRR line to Muskegon run on the south side of Indian Mill CreeK? It looks like at one time there may have been a ROW here.
It crossed Alpine just south of the creek (as mentioned already). Back in the mid 00's when Alpine was being resurfaced, there were tracks still embedded in the old pavement. Prior to tearing the road up, you could see cracks in the pavement from the rail heads. So when they finally demoed the road surface, there were the rails. I wish I had been able to take a picture of that!
Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 8.08.53 AM.jpg
The house just to the south of the ROW must have had some really great views of the trains passing.
If you look at the road on either side approaching the crossing you can tell how it rises up to meet the grade.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

kd_1014
Mike

Unread post by kd_1014 »

How accessible is that bridge?

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

kd_1014 wrote:How accessible is that bridge?
Looks like its close to the road probably just have to hike back there.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

kd_1014 wrote:How accessible is that bridge?
Easy access. Park on Wilson (recommended on a weekend morning when there is little to no traffic), and then it's a short walk down the ROW.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.