Howell History Days Excursion train 5/14/2005

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Howell History Days Excursion train 5/14/2005

Unread post by RailCanon »

Here are a few shots of the Lake Central Rail Tours/TSBY Howell History Days excursion train from Saturday.

First picture: GP35 #385 leaves her train on the main, and proceeds forward in preparation for the run around move on the siding at Byron, Michigan:

Look at this! Lucky kid gets to ride in the engine with dad! :)

Moving forward:

Moving roster shot :) :

Last edited by RailCanon on Mon May 16, 2005 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Pictures continued [Don Simon don't read this]

A view of 385's back end, and Alco trucks! :)

385 slowly enters Byron siding for the run around:

After they completed the run around, we got a head start on the train to Cohoctah.

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Cohoctah

As I said, we got a head start on the train before it left Howell, but unknown to us, they move pretty fast on that line... (I THINK) about 40 MPH. Anyway, to make a long story short, we got to Cohoctah less than two minutes before they got there. The train was in sight when we got to the crossing! The crossing signals are at least 50 years old, and one of them has a Union Switch and Signal "Teardrop" crossing bell. I got some grab shots of the signals before I ran to the side lines to get the train. Where else could you find such old signals but the TSBY?? 8)

385 blows through the crossing heading south:

Going away shots:

Last edited by RailCanon on Mon May 16, 2005 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: Cohoctah

Unread post by ~Z~ »

very nice series here GP40.
enjoyed the trip report.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

RailCanon
BANHAMMERED

Oak Grove

Cohoctah Road meets Oak Grove road on the west side of the crossing in Cohoctah. Oak Grove Road follows the tracks for a few miles south of Cohoctah before the tracks curve away in a cut of trees. Eventually, Oak Grove road makes a very hard left and then crosses the tracks just outside of Oak Grove. We managed to get about two minutes ahead of the train. We stopped at the crossing, and I checked out the signals while I was waiting. While looking at one signal, what should I hear but that M3 on 385. Grabed the camera, and got the attached shots:

Coming around the bend north of the crossing:

Getting closer...:

The train enters the crossing. The train was moving pretty fast at this point. That and the low lighting conditions at the time (combine the two with my crappy camera) made the picture a bit blury. :x I'm starting to hate my camera. :evil:

Right after the crossing, there is a small grade. Right when they hit the grade, 385 opened up and gave me some smoke (and some chugging from the 567 prime movers!) :D

This picture shows how hard she was working:

Picture of one of the signals protecting the crossing. Both the bells and lights shut off the instant after I took this. I like this crossing. The bells sound like they are waring with one another! :D

Final shot: The train crests the hill, and continues it's race for Howell!

I hope that everyone enjoyed my photo essay of this excursion! I was so happy to see GP35 #385 back on the road again! I would like to dedicate this thread to loving and caring shop crews at the Tuscola and Saginaw Bay Railway for a job well done!