Spur in Fillmore, Hamilton Branch Q&A

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.

Re: Spur in Fillmore, Hamilton Branch Q&A

Unread postby MQT1223 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:25 pm

Not to jump ship too much, but when did the Co-op last get liquid fertilizer and why did they stop receiving it? Some older photos showed tank cars in Hamilton and I haven't seen any go down the line in a few years.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread postby AARR » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:11 pm

The tank cars may have been for Tallow. IIRC they loaded tallow in Hamilton at one time.
MQT1223 wrote:Not to jump ship too much, but when did the Co-op last get liquid fertilizer and why did they stop receiving it? Some older photos showed tank cars in Hamilton and I haven't seen any go down the line in a few years.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread postby J T » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:14 am

AARR wrote:The tank cars may have been for Tallow. IIRC they loaded tallow in Hamilton at one time.
MQT1223 wrote:Not to jump ship too much, but when did the Co-op last get liquid fertilizer and why did they stop receiving it? Some older photos showed tank cars in Hamilton and I haven't seen any go down the line in a few years.

Don, here is one of the pics that Max is referring to. From 2008.

Last edited by J T on Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
J T
Hates Supper

Unread postby AARR » Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:18 am

Sweet picture J_T :!:
J T wrote:Don, here is one of the pics that Max is referring to.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread postby SD80MAC » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:42 pm

AARR wrote:The tank cars may have been for Tallow. IIRC they loaded tallow in Hamilton at one time.

The tallow cars were never loaded in Hamilton. I don’t know if they were ever loaded anywhere else before their current spot in Waverly yard in Holland, but it definitely wasn’t Hamilton.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail6809/popular-interesting/
SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread postby Doktor No » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:08 pm

SD80MAC wrote:

The tallow cars were never loaded in Hamilton. I don’t know if they were ever loaded anywhere else before their current spot in Waverly yard in Holland, but it definitely wasn’t Hamilton.

I concur with that observation Jon. Hamilton was served once a week. The cars at Waverly Yard were loaded at the rate of two or three a day. We pulled and placed from there 5 days a week to the spot behind the old 'roundhouse.'
Enjoy Every Sandwich.
Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby rob » Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:23 pm

The only thing in Hamilton is stuff to do with feed. All other things that were down there have moved to other locations. Most went to wayland, where the tanks are now unloaded

I was told that the siding on the way to Hamilton was used to load blanks to make baseball bats. Not sure if that true but he was an old head railroader.

Rob
rob
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby Doktor No » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:20 pm

I have posted this before but we took a small covered hopper load of oyster shells down there one time. They used to get an occasional propane and perhaps a nitrogen or ammonia or two from time to time...but that's gone over to Waylaid. Used to get an occasional carload of lumber too.
I had made it down there a couple of times. Once was a work train when we unloaded a hopper that rolled down the hill near the I196 bridge into an empty then took it to Hamilton.
Was a neat run but S L O W and rock back and forth is putting it mildly. The tracks were some of the worst I ever ran on. BUT the trestle was rather interesting!
Enjoy Every Sandwich.
Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby J T » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:20 pm

Doktor No wrote: Was a neat run but S L O W and rock back and forth is putting it mildly. The tracks were some of the worst I ever ran on. BUT the trestle was rather interesting!

While I was waiting at the 50th St crossing for a shot, I timed the northbound run from 140th Ave to 50th. 2 minutes, 20 seconds from crossing to crossing. Roughly a quarter of a mile.

Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 11.17.43 PM.jpg
J T
Hates Supper

Unread postby MQT1223 » Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:48 pm

Doktor No wrote:I have posted this before but we took a small covered hopper load of oyster shells down there one time. They used to get an occasional propane and perhaps a nitrogen or ammonia or two from time to time...but that's gone over to Waylaid. Used to get an occasional carload of lumber too.
I had made it down there a couple of times. Once was a work train when we unloaded a hopper that rolled down the hill near the I196 bridge into an empty then took it to Hamilton.
Was a neat run but S L O W and rock back and forth is putting it mildly. The tracks were some of the worst I ever ran on. BUT the trestle was rather interesting!

Its definitely a slow run to Hamilton. The worst stretch of track I seemed to notice in my recent chases is between 50th St. and 140th Ave. They took it slower then the rest of the line through there.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread postby SD80MAC » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:08 pm

It's all 10 mph, and its no worse than some of the shortline track in the area. Made plenty of trips to Hamilton and back during my time at CSX, it was a nice ride.
SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread postby Doktor No » Sun Apr 19, 2020 2:52 pm

Worse track? Quantified by either, are we still on the rail or nope we're on the ground.
The covered hopper we were sent to unload rocked off the rail. Crew was going 12MPH. "But that's only 2 over the limit!" No its 20% over the limit. IIRC it was an orange IC hopper. The unloader/vacuum came from a new company on Clyde Park, brand new unit. They were a manufacturer across the street from Spartan Stores warehouse. I would think they are still producing equipment.
Enjoy Every Sandwich.
Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby barnstormer » Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:03 am

Doktor No wrote:Worse track? Quantified by either, are we still on the rail or nope we're on the ground.
The covered hopper we were sent to unload rocked off the rail. Crew was going 12MPH......

I remember once going down there, and it had been awhile since I was last there....mistakenly got to 11 mph, and I thought, with the way they were rockin',
we were gonna derail in the next heartbeat!. I took 20 lbs of air, as I only had a few cars....whew! that got 'em back under control, and I NEVER let them get over 9 the rest of the way....SIGH!!

SD80MAC wrote:It's all 10 mph, and its no worse than some of the shortline track in the area. Made plenty of trips to Hamilton and back during my time at CSX, it was a nice ride.

NICE RIDE?......you gotta be kidding me, right?! :lol:

-barny
barnstormer
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby SD80MAC » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:11 am

No, not at all. Many of you guys have apparently never seen bad track.
SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread postby DaveO » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:25 am

SD80MAC wrote:No, not at all. Many of you guys have apparently never seen bad track.

The Maumee and Western fit that image. Sections of their track didn't seem suitable for train movements at any speed.
DaveO
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby AARR » Tue Apr 21, 2020 9:29 am

GLCs Middleton Branch still has a few sections that look like a roller coaster even though they've invested impressive resources to improve it. And they operate 90 car unit blocks on this segment periodically :shock: .
DaveO wrote:
SD80MAC wrote:No, not at all. Many of you guys have apparently never seen bad track.

The Maumee and Western fit that image. Sections of their track didn't seem suitable for train movements at any speed.
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread postby C&O Dispatcher » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:20 am

Regarding the Middleton Branch, I spent a lot of time around the GTW Greenville Sub as a kid back in the 1960's -- especially at the Pompeii Farmers Elevator. That line back then never had any tie plates; the rails were spiked directly to the ties! Even so, the GTW operated at 30 MPH on the line back then. We used to farm two fields on either side of US-127 (US-27 back then) on the north side of the tracks there at Ola. When I saw the highway traffic stopping and knew the local was coming, I'd shut off the tractor and watch the train go by! During wheat season, the elevator manager at Pompeii would sometimes use me as a lookout toward Perrinton to alert him when I saw the headlight over the hill so he could flag the crew down for a switch if he needed one! Ashley depot was another hangout for me as well. If this is too off topic, you can beat me with a stick. :)
C&O Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Previous

Return to Michigan Talk