Lake State Coal

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
kd_1014
Mike

Re: Lake State Coal

Unread post by kd_1014 »

J T wrote:
Standard Railfan wrote:
Doktor No wrote:Which one would that be? The other coal trains seem to be just fine with it if you mean St. Joe.
I do mean St. Joe. I am not suggesting that the bridge can’t handle to loads, clearly it can.

It seems to me that a 100 year old swing bridge will be due for some very expensive maintenance in the near future. There is also the chance for damage to the bridge. In either case I believe the railroad would be reluctant to spend the needed money.
Well, there's a 113-year-old swing bridge in New Richmond that is still holding up quite well. :)
True, but that one isn't operational anymore.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Standard Railfan wrote:
Doktor No wrote:Which one would that be? The other coal trains seem to be just fine with it if you mean St. Joe.
I do mean St. Joe. I am not suggesting that the bridge can’t handle to loads, clearly it can.

It seems to me that a 100 year old swing bridge will be due for some very expensive maintenance in the near future. There is also the chance for damage to the bridge. In either case I believe the railroad would be reluctant to spend the needed money.
That bridge has had plenty of recurring work to it over the years. I’m sure it’ll be just fine!

Just in recent memory was a major rewire/new control equipment upgrade and they also recently redecked the span as well.

It’s only real problem is in heat, sometimes it gets stuck open as the span expands too much to close. But that’s not really a maintenance issue. If they painted the span white it would probably solve the problem.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

kd_1014
Mike

Unread post by kd_1014 »

Saturnalia wrote:
Standard Railfan wrote:

That bridge has had plenty of recurring work to it over the years. I’m sure it’ll be just fine!

Just in recent memory was a major rewire/new control equipment upgrade and they also recently redecked the span as well.

It’s only real problem is in heat, sometimes it gets stuck open as the span expands too much to close. But that’s not really a maintenance issue. If they painted the span white it would probably solve the problem.
Crazy how that stuff works like that

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

Saturnalia wrote:If they painted the span white it would probably solve the problem.
Huh. All these years and they've never thought of that. Good thinking! :wink:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

AFLK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AFLK »

So overall, these new CSX/LSRC Coal drags are gonna run Thur Ohio/Indiana?? I’ve had my hopes up all weekend and am looking too close the deal for good if it’s true.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

All the rumors of LSRC buying the Grand Rapids sub and CSX shedding lines unless there done with both seems we got our answer of running them thru Ohio for this short period that Esswxville will still be open.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

AFLK wrote:So overall, these new CSX/LSRC Coal drags are gonna run Thur Ohio/Indiana?? I’ve had my hopes up all weekend and am looking too close the deal for good if it’s true.
Right, they've ran at least a couple loads via Ohio, and at least one empty went the same way.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Typhoon
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Typhoon »

AFLK wrote:So overall, these new CSX/LSRC Coal drags are gonna run Thur Ohio/Indiana?? I’ve had my hopes up all weekend and am looking too close the deal for good if it’s true.
Correct. there is no reason to run them via Grand Rapids.

AFLK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by AFLK »

Typhoon wrote:

Now that is Honestly sad. I lost C764 & C765 for good.

kd_1014
Mike

Unread post by kd_1014 »

Typhoon wrote:
Darn

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

J T wrote:
BL2-1843 wrote:
That is great news. I despised these trains running via GRP/Plymouth on the few times they did because I just can NOT read those BNSF numbers at night, which most of them did.
So you despise the presence of a train because you can't read the locomotive numbers at night? What the...
Correct. Would rather see no train at all than to see a train I could not get the locomotive numbers of as that is all I am interested in, not the train itself. To each his own right? Was even glad to see Typhoon say there is no need to run these trains via GRP. There are enough coal trains running to West Olive without plugging up the west side of the state to run two more to Essexville. I at least have half a chance of seeing a number in the night as long as its not BNSF power.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

BL2-1843 wrote:Correct. Would rather see no train at all than to see a train I could not get the locomotive numbers of as that is all I am interested in, not the train itself. To each his own right? Was even glad to see Typhoon say there is no need to run these trains via GRP. There are enough coal trains running to West Olive without plugging up the west side of the state to run two more to Essexville. I at least have half a chance of seeing a number in the night as long as its not BNSF power.
Have you considered getting a video camera system that you can use to record the locomotive numbers? Have one that works well in low light, zoom in on the engine numbers, and be able to replay the recording if you can't see the engine number when the loco goes by? D708 must not interest you much, using the same locomotive over and over, eh? :)
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

JoJames
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by JoJames »

Does anyone have a rough idea on how many coal trains this would be a week or month?

blueheron13
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by blueheron13 »

JoJames wrote:Does anyone have a rough idea on how many coal trains this would be a week or month?
Think I read somewhere that there four planned for January. Already had at least three.
Amateur railfan trying to become a real railfan since 2017.

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

While it's nice for those who live near the CSX and LSRC, trainwatchers on the CN and HESR miss seeing the coal trains. The long track in Durand yard where the coal trains parked, formerly the AA main, appeared to be full of auto racks recently.

blueheron13
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by blueheron13 »

Steve B wrote:While it's nice for those who live near the CSX and LSRC, trainwatchers on the CN and HESR miss seeing the coal trains. The long track in Durand yard where the coal trains parked, formerly the AA main, appeared to be full of auto racks recently.
I've heard that CN is storing the autoracks there for now.
Amateur railfan trying to become a real railfan since 2017.