Holland Ottawa Beach Spur question

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
C&O6088
Railroadfan...fan

Holland Ottawa Beach Spur question

Unread post by C&O6088 »

Over past several months, I have not seen any box cars going to the end of this spur. It was TLC Storage, but now says Michigan Natural Storage (MNS) at the facility. I researched the property and ownership is still the same (since 2016), so maybe just leasing to a new storage facility or did MNS merge/buy TLC? Since this change to MNS, I haven't any boxcars at the end of the line. In fact, this summer they were working on the exterior of the building and had some construction scaffolding/parts that were on the track, so I knew they were not using the spur (but I thought it was short term while they worked on the building). Anyone know about MNS and if they intend to use rail in the future? C&O https://gis.miottawa.org/ottawa/wab/pro ... 4%2C102100

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: Holland Ottawa Beach Spur question

Unread post by SD80MAC »

They have not received many cars since they took over the warehouse. They can be hit and miss at their Wyoming location, too. Sometimes they’ll get several reefers a month, and other times they will go months without any cars.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Warehouse was TLC until 2011 when Ryder bought the entire company. 2016, Ryder sold that one warehouse to Michigan Natural Storage. I'll email my contacts there, ask about railroad plans, and reply later.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Mike H
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mike H »

~Z~ wrote:Warehouse was TLC until 2011 when Ryder bought the entire company. 2016, Ryder sold that one warehouse to Michigan Natural Storage. I'll email my contacts there, ask about railroad plans, and reply later.
MNS also just bought the Ryder cold storage facility at Teapot Dome just west of Paw Paw. Seems like MNS is in expansion mode right now considering they have bought multiple cold storage buildings throughout Michigan recently. Too bad Pioneer pulled up the tracks to Paw Paw, I still think it was a massive mistake!

Mike H

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Mike H wrote:
~Z~ wrote:Warehouse was TLC until 2011 when Ryder bought the entire company. 2016, Ryder sold that one warehouse to Michigan Natural Storage. I'll email my contacts there, ask about railroad plans, and reply later.
MNS also just bought the Ryder cold storage facility at Teapot Dome just west of Paw Paw. Seems like MNS is in expansion mode right now considering they have bought multiple cold storage buildings throughout Michigan recently. Too bad Pioneer pulled up the tracks to Paw Paw, I still think it was a massive mistake!

Mike H
Ah, so that's who bought the Paw Paw facility; heard it got resold. Ryder actually sold it to Lineage Logistics a few months ago, and they then very quickly sold it to MNS by your statement. Ryder sold their Rochelle IL and Milwaukee WI public warehouses to Lineage as well, keeping just the Zeeland warehouse.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Mike H
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Mike H »

~Z~ wrote:
Mike H wrote:

Mike H
Ah, so that's who bought the Paw Paw facility; heard it got resold. Ryder actually sold it to Lineage Logistics a few months ago, and they then very quickly sold it to MNS by your statement. Ryder sold their Rochelle IL and Milwaukee WI public warehouses to Lineage as well, keeping just the Zeeland warehouse.
Well that is extremely interesting! I was working on a deal a year or so ago to ship a bunch of reefers out west & one of the potential destinations was to a Lineage Logistics cold storage facility. It would have been nice to have them on both ends of the move, that definitely makes things significantly easier. Oh well, hopefully MNS wants to grow their business so we can get some additional variety of railcars rolling through Grand Rapids.

Mike H