Conrail Sterling Heights / Shelby Township line

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Conrail Sterling Heights / Shelby Township line

Unread post by chapmaja »

I'm not sure what the official name is now.

What is the farthest the line is actually serviced northward now. I know that Google Maps shows it in place to north of 22 mile, but the spur that went to Visteon's site (now Amazon), is cut removed back to the road. Other than that I don't see any customers farther north than the Ford Transmission plant. Do they still use rail, or have they ceased rail as well?

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Conrail Sterling Heights / Shelby Township line

Another question related to this line.

In Detroit, there is a section going Northwest off this line, which runs along the south side of the Ryan Correctional Facility, and then services Alpha Resins and maybe Metro Corporation (per Google Maps). The line ends at Gallagher St, but the ROW clearly extended well beyond that. It would have crossed the double track CN mainline just west of I-75, then continues to Cloverdale, where a section of the tracks (disconnected) is still in place. West of Wyoming St, the line is in place and curves south before continuing, as an actively served line to the CSX main into Rougemere.

Did this line also curve south and connect with the line that extends from the CSX main (near Miller), to Kenwai Steel?

GTWrailfan91
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by GTWrailfan91 »

Hi there,

To answer your first question, the line currently ends at Dobry and Shuert Indsutries gets service with the swapping of covered hoppers. I have seen it lately working mornings and does lunchtime moves as well. Don’t know how often that the moves occur, but they do

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

GTWrailfan91 wrote:Hi there,

To answer your first question, the line currently ends at Dobry and Shuert Indsutries gets service with the swapping of covered hoppers. I have seen it lately working mornings and does lunchtime moves as well. Don’t know how often that the moves occur, but they do

Completely missed seeing Shuert on the map. They have a string of covered hoppers on the spur in the Google Map image. Thanks.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

They usually have 4-6 cars on their spur. Probably switched once or twice a week with a couple cars each time.
chapmaja wrote:
GTWrailfan91 wrote:Hi there,

Completely missed seeing Shuert on the map. They have a string of covered hoppers on the spur in the Google Map image. Thanks.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

Two different Conrail lines on the westside of Detroit and Dearborn. Both are served by locals based from Livernois Yard and access CSX trackage at CP-Lou.

The first local uses CSX up to P Company then continues northward into Detroit and eventually across the CSX at Fullerton Avenue. It curves eastward and ends just before Wyoming Avenue. There is a small runaround track between Wyoming and Meyers.

The second local uses the connection at Michigan Avenue to access the customers off Wyoming Avenue near the drive-in and Kenwal Steel, which is located on Lonyo Avenue. This was part of the Detroit Terminal, which continued north across Warren Avenue toward Highland Park.

Manistique
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Manistique »

chapmaja wrote:Another question related to this line.

In Detroit, there is a section going Northwest off this line, which runs along the south side of the Ryan Correctional Facility, and then services Alpha Resins and maybe Metro Corporation (per Google Maps). The line ends at Gallagher St, but the ROW clearly extended well beyond that. It would have crossed the double track CN mainline just west of I-75, then continues to Cloverdale, where a section of the tracks (disconnected) is still in place. West of Wyoming St, the line is in place and curves south before continuing, as an actively served line to the CSX main into Rougemere.

Did this line also curve south and connect with the line that extends from the CSX main (near Miller), to Kenwai Steel?
This is the old Detroit Terminal Railroad. Conrail Shared Assets (NS) still operates the eastern part of the old DTRR from what used to be North Tower at the north end of North Yard to the Jeep Plant on Jefferson. The prison you mention is located on the former main freight yard of DTRR, Davison Yard, and the DTRR continued west from there all the way to the Ford Rouge Plant in Dearborn where it interchanged with C&O and DT&I. As mentioned above, a small part of this western end of DT&I is still switched. There is a book about the DTRR's, Chronicles of a Detroit Railfan Book Three, that covers its last year of operations in 1981 or so.