CN on the ground in Detroit.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
MRC_Andrew
Railroadfan...fan

CN on the ground in Detroit.

Unread post by MRC_Andrew »

Local media reporting CN on the ground in Detroit. Near Clark and Scotten Streets.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news/loc ... n-detroit/

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/ ... 408128002/

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: CN on the ground in Detroit.

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Wish the overhead helicopter view would have shown where the locomotives were in relation to the derailment. On first hunch, probably too much weight behind the empty cars near the front of the train and they string-lined going around the curve.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Amtrak service is terminating in Dearborn with busses being provided between Dearborn and Pontiac, per MDOT.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

The locomotives were about a mile away. They ended up just shy of Livernois Avenue. The tail end of 383 was between I-96 and Lawton Street.

cbtrower
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by cbtrower »

Anybody have a rough guess on how long cleanup will take?

Man o' War
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Man o' War »

cbtrower wrote:Anybody have a rough guess on how long cleanup will take?
Probably not long. Looks like there is room enough to move most of the cars over to the side and deal with them later - standard railroad m.o. As long as there isn't a haz-mat problem, my guess is that track will be open around mid-night or shortly thereafter, in the wee hours. Seem to be conflicting reports, however, regarding the haz-mat situation...

Man o' War

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

According to title on the live footage from Fox 2, a "Trail Detrails In Detroit". More empirical evidence of how Fox 2 is so unprofessional that it will race to get a story out without verifying facts, nor check spelling on story titles.

ImageFox 2 Cant Spell by tcamp7837, on Flickr

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I'm surprised there aren't more derailments at that location. Seems like a tight radius.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

STRINGLINED...Opps. Run monster trains and this is what you get. A few hundred thousand $k per auto rack in insurance charges...or just paid by CN out of pocket.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

twropr
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by twropr »

What was the symbol of the derailed train? Were the Wolverines turned on a wye at West Detroit?
Thanks
Andy

Man o' War
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Man o' War »

twropr wrote:What was the symbol of the derailed train? Were the Wolverines turned on a wye at West Detroit?
Thanks
Andy

I believe the derailed train was M383 (Toronto - Toledo).

Man o' War

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

Parted air hose. 151 cars. Rear of train goes into emergency. Head end keeps pulling, pulling the longs cars off the rail. Low speed also (less than 10 mph.) Watched the derailment video, slow cascade of cars tipping over. (neat , sort of ) Tank cars were empty asphalt cars. No danger. Hulcher and R.J. Corman working side by side, even Cranemasters showed up but never unloaded their equipment. DTE was kept busy too. due to the recent closing of a near by sub station. The wires involved were now the only ones providing power to the area. They had to call in for permission to cut any wires. Took forever. End.......

LansingRailFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by LansingRailFan »

M.D.Bentley wrote:Parted air hose. 151 cars. Rear of train goes into emergency. Head end keeps pulling, pulling the longs cars off the rail. Low speed also (less than 10 mph.) Watched the derailment video, slow cascade of cars tipping over. (neat , sort of ) Tank cars were empty asphalt cars. No danger. Hulcher and R.J. Corman working side by side, even Cranemasters showed up but never unloaded their equipment. DTE was kept busy too. due to the recent closing of a near by sub station. The wires involved were now the only ones providing power to the area. They had to call in for permission to cut any wires. Took forever. End.......
Do you have a link for the video?

C&O Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C&O Dispatcher »

Shouldn't the parting of air hoses put the whole train into emergency, not just a portion of it??

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

C&O Dispatcher wrote:Shouldn't the parting of air hoses put the whole train into emergency, not just a portion of it??
Yes, but if t goes off on the rear, it’s going to be a moment before it gets to the headend, allowing time for the rear to be in emergency while the headend is still pulling.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

C&O Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by C&O Dispatcher »

OK--thanks. Didn't realize there was that much lag time. I recall watching a southbound DT&I going by Carleton tower one night when all of a sudden there was a gap of several car lengths, and then here comes the rest of the train! Only time I was actually in a position to see a train parting in real time. Luckily, the rear portion did not crash into the head portion and there was no derailment. Of course they had the interlocking tied up for awhile to get coupled back together and head south.

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

Video was on a Conrail security camera at West Detroit that faces Bay City jct. I've seen air hoses part and fold over and get caught behind the angle cock bottling the air completely :shock: