Transload at CN Battle Creek

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.

Transload at CN Battle Creek

Unread postby bctrainfan » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:47 am

I noticed a cut of 12 flats carrying what appear to be truck frames sitting in the the CN Battle Creek yard near the Car Shop (RIP Track?) for a couple days. It appears they are now offloading the frames onto semis. Have not seen this before, seems like an odd place for this as there are no truck factories nearby. Any other info on this?
bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Transload at CN Battle Creek

Unread postby GTW6401 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:29 am

Its likely due to CN crews being on strike in Canada, and those products are being trucked over the border.
GTW6401
how bout no

Unread postby dave989 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:39 am

GTW6401 wrote:Its likely due to CN crews being on strike in Canada, and those products are being trucked over the border.
Would like more info on this CN strike situation. I will be in Battle Creek area for Thanksgiving weekend and wondering if this will reduce train activity on CN around there?
dave989
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby SD80MAC » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:03 am

dave989 wrote:
GTW6401 wrote:Its likely due to CN crews being on strike in Canada, and those products are being trucked over the border.
Would like more info on this CN strike situation. I will be in Battle Creek area for Thanksgiving weekend and wondering if this will reduce train activity on CN around there?

Oh no, it has greatly increased traffic across Michigan on CN. Only the Canadian crews are striking, not the US crews. Consequently, many trains that would normally run the north edge of Lake Superior are being rerouted through Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, etc. The GTW has been hopping all week.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail6809/popular-interesting/
SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread postby conrailmike » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:54 am

bctrainfan wrote:I noticed a cut of 12 flats carrying what appear to be truck frames sitting in the the CN Battle Creek yard near the Car Shop (RIP Track?) for a couple days. It appears they are now offloading the frames onto semis. Have not seen this before, seems like an odd place for this as there are no truck factories nearby. Any other info on this?

I would guess they are frames for Flint Truck. Our frames come from Canada and since the strike they've been coming over on flatbeds. Last I heard it wasn't gonna affect our production through the weekend but come Monday we might have an issue.
conrailmike
Signal Maintainer

Location: Less than 100' from CSX Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Unread postby AARR » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:17 am

If the frames are already in MI why transload them in Battle Creek? Why not just have an American crew take them to Flint and unload them there like they usually do?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread postby conrailmike » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:30 pm

AARR wrote:If the frames are already in MI why transload them in Battle Creek? Why not just have an American crew take them to Flint and unload them there like they usually do?

It's anyone's guess as to why GM does what they do. I've heard there were two locations they were loading frames from so who knows. If I take a shot in the dark, it might have something to do with the amount of frames that are coming vs. the amount that they need? Or maybe how many times CN will switch the plant? If I recall correctly, I believe they (CN) delivers 320-350 at a time but I'm not 100% sure. I'm not certain on how many frames equals a "full frame yard", it's gotta be quite a number as we're running 6 days x 3 shifts with one shift on Sundays right now.
conrailmike
Signal Maintainer

Unread postby CR900945 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:49 pm

The frames being unloaded at BC and trucked MIGHT be for Oshawa, Ontario. I have seen truck frames going both ways on the main line. The ones for Flint have a heavier side member for 3/4 and 1 ton models. Oshawa builds 1/2 ton versions.
CR900945
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby MP73point4 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:48 am

I believe the Oshawa truck plant closed some years ago.
RR Pass Collector
MP73point4
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby conrailmike » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:06 pm

MP73point4 wrote:I believe the Oshawa truck plant closed some years ago.

Oshawa truck did close some years ago, Oshawa Assembly however has been doing final assembly ( everything was being shipped up there and then put together) of light duty trucks for about a year. It was just temporary and the plant is scheduled to be done at the end of this year.
conrailmike
Signal Maintainer

Unread postby AARR » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:22 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys.

So you guys know I'm a railfan and not a railroader. However, the efficiency engineer in me asks if the frames are for Oshawa why not unload them in Port Huron or Detroit which is closer?

conrailmike wrote:
MP73point4 wrote:I believe the Oshawa truck plant closed some years ago.

Oshawa truck did close some years ago, Oshawa Assembly however has been doing final assembly ( everything was being shipped up there and then put together) of light duty trucks for about a year. It was just temporary and the plant is scheduled to be done at the end of this year.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread postby PatAzo » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:19 pm

Does Spartan Motors receive frames?
PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Return to Michigan Talk