Future of Grand Blanc and Wixom yards

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.

Future of Grand Blanc and Wixom yards

Unread postby arty flowers » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:48 pm

Once a busy place to find industry and heavy switching is now a thing of the past for CSX, What does Lake States see in these two properties. What about the sidings between Novi and Flint? What does the future hold for them?
arty flowers
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:43 am

Re: Future of Grand Blanc and Wixom yards

Unread postby trainjunkie47 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:01 am

I'm certain that just about every bit of spare track us going to be utilized for car storage, if it hasn't already. It's not like there is any real hope of a traffic surge on that line developing from massive amounts of new business.
User avatar
trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 1643
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:38 pm
Location: Royal Oak, Michigan

Re: Future of Grand Blanc and Wixom yards

Unread postby ConrailDetr​oit » Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:16 am

Lots of covered hoppers stored in Wixom.
ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 4663
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:04 pm
Location: Detroit

Re: Future of Grand Blanc and Wixom yards

Unread postby rdenman62 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:49 am

Lots of cars stored on the Newark siding north of Holly
rdenman62
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:12 pm
Location: Grand Blanc,MI

Re: Future of Grand Blanc and Wixom yards

Unread postby atrainguy60 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:59 am

Is even the long siding in Clyde/Highland full of storage, or are they leaving that one open?
atrainguy60
Saginaw Sub Foamer
 
Posts: 3803
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:54 pm
Location: None of your business......

Re: Future of Grand Blanc and Wixom yards

Unread postby C&O Dispatcher » Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:53 pm

Back when things were humming, we used ALL of the sidings several times a day to meet trains. The only siding we ever blocked with storage cars (auto racks) was Blackmar. After the siding at Clyde was extended down to Highland, there was a hand-throw electric lock crossover near Wardlow Road near the middle of the siding. (Is it still there??) We had one officer insist that we were going to store some cars on the siding south of the crossover. We did our best to show this would be a disaster, but to no avail. So, a southbound would have to stop at the north end, engineer walk to the phone to get authority to pass the stop indication (no dispatcher radios yet), and then pull down to Wardlow to wait. Then they had to get the unlock on the crossovers, which we discovered would not unlock until the northbound had completely cleared the north end, throw the switches, pull out and line everything back. After a few days of tying up the railroad and trains dying, the cars where moved to one of the branch-line sidings (PH or Elmdale Sub) where they belonged in the first place!
C&O Dispatcher
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:02 pm

Re: Future of Grand Blanc and Wixom yards

Unread postby chapmaja » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:22 am

C&O Dispatcher wrote:Back when things were humming, we used ALL of the sidings several times a day to meet trains. The only siding we ever blocked with storage cars (auto racks) was Blackmar. After the siding at Clyde was extended down to Highland, there was a hand-throw electric lock crossover near Wardlow Road near the middle of the siding. (Is it still there??) We had one officer insist that we were going to store some cars on the siding south of the crossover. We did our best to show this would be a disaster, but to no avail. So, a southbound would have to stop at the north end, engineer walk to the phone to get authority to pass the stop indication (no dispatcher radios yet), and then pull down to Wardlow to wait. Then they had to get the unlock on the crossovers, which we discovered would not unlock until the northbound had completely cleared the north end, throw the switches, pull out and line everything back. After a few days of tying up the railroad and trains dying, the cars where moved to one of the branch-line sidings (PH or Elmdale Sub) where they belonged in the first place!



Per Google Maps, no crossover on the Clyde siding.
chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 699
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:02 pm

Re: Future of Grand Blanc and Wixom yards

Unread postby Saturnalia » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:27 am

chapmaja wrote:Per Google Maps, no crossover on the Clyde siding.

No crossover at Clyde shown on the 1995 company-sanctioned Beavers Maps either
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Copper Country '19-'20 Snowfall Total: 57.5"
User avatar
Saturnalia
Authority on Cat
 
Posts: 13712
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:54 pm
Location: Michigan's Copper Country

Re: Future of Grand Blanc and Wixom yards

Unread postby conrailmike » Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:02 pm

atrainguy60 wrote:Is even the long siding in Clyde/Highland full of storage, or are they leaving that one open?


Nothing sitting in Clyde siding as of yet and the last time I was by Grand Blanc yard, most if not all of it had been ripped out.
User avatar
conrailmike
Signal Maintainer
 
Posts: 2798
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:59 pm
Location: Less than 100' from CSX Saginaw Sub. MP 61.4 in Highland, MI

Re: Future of Grand Blanc and Wixom yards

Unread postby MQT1223 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:35 am

Weren't these yards primarily set up for use in the automotive industry when things were good? If they were primarily used for one function then besides storage what wouldn't keep Lake State from removing any of the track?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)
User avatar
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:46 pm
Location: Grandville, Michigan

Re: Future of Grand Blanc and Wixom yards

Unread postby rdenman62 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:13 am

I was just by there (Grand Blanc) yard the other day and as far as i can see the track is still there. You can see the yard from Reid rd.
rdenman62
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:12 pm
Location: Grand Blanc,MI

Re: Future of Grand Blanc and Wixom yards

Unread postby DaveO » Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:28 pm

MQT1223 wrote:Weren't these yards primarily set up for use in the automotive industry when things were good? If they were primarily used for one function then besides storage what wouldn't keep Lake State from removing any of the track?


The lease may preclude such a move.
DaveO
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 391
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:57 pm
Location: Between here and there

Re: Future of Grand Blanc and Wixom yards

Unread postby MQT1223 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:21 am

DaveO wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:Weren't these yards primarily set up for use in the automotive industry when things were good? If they were primarily used for one function then besides storage what wouldn't keep Lake State from removing any of the track?


The lease may preclude such a move.


That was my other thought. If such a thing is included in the lease would Lake State have to consult CSX to remove track?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)
User avatar
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner
 
Posts: 2751
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:46 pm
Location: Grandville, Michigan


Return to Michigan Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], MSN [Bot], Sean N and 4 guests

x