Huron Central Railway

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Huron Central Railway

Unread post by AARR »

This is from MichiganRailroads.com where after upgrading to Windows 10 it wouldn't accept my password and its Moderator hasn't responded to my several requests over a years time for assistance. I happen to like this topic so I'm posting it here for discussion.

HCRY has several large customers between SSM and Sudbury. One is a Domtar paper mill and another a large lumber mill. I seem to recall a few others.

Does anyone know anything else about this railroad and why it seems every few years they threaten to shut down?
Posted by jim on 10/18/2019, 12:34 pm

It appears that G&W Canada will cease operating the Huron Central by next year. The culprit is money, or lack of same.

Any idea how that might impact CN's operations across the UP, if at all?

https://www.railwayage.com/freight/shor ... aign=10097
Posted by Elba Steve on 10/18/2019, 4:41 pm, in reply to "Huron Central"

Looking a little gloomy for that line for sure...biggest problem is, no on line business between the Soo and Sudbury...CN could in effect take over the few industries in the Soo that the HC switches...other than that, I wouldn't hold my breath any more for the rest of the line...sad, sad.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

trainjunkie47
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Huron Eastern Railway

Unread post by trainjunkie47 »

Don't think it would impact the operations of CN very much. Clearly going straight from Sudbury to the Soo would be a far shorter distance, but would it justify keeping the line open for the few cars that would venture across there? Even if CN bought the line and refurbished it, you're not going to have trains bypassing Port Huron to get to Chicago from Toronto without upgrading or rebuilding the bridge across the locks, and without substantial upgrades to the tracks all the way to Appleton, Wisconsin. As it stands now, the Algoma line suits CN's needs in the area.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Huron Central Railway

Unread post by chapmaja »

I think a big problem with the line was that it was subject to deferred maintenance for years and years under CP ownership. Technically the line is still owned by CP, but under the terms of the lease it is the responsibility of the lessee (GW) to maintain the property.

The question is what will happen to the line in the period after the operations stop. I expect it to end up in court. I also expect that if something isn't worked out, CP will resume control over the eastern portion of the property near Sudbury, while the western end of the line will be leased to CN to operate around SSM.

NYCMan
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Huron Central Railway

Unread post by NYCMan »

Frankly, I smell a "cash grab" or an attempt to re-negotiate their present deal. They knew the condition of the railroad prior to entering into the lease. In Canada, just like the US, one does not simply shut down a railroad; the STB (in US) would not allow it, and neither will the Canadian Government. This will be fun to watch.