GLC Ballast train on 24 Sept 2019

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
KC
Railroadfan...fan

GLC Ballast train on 24 Sept 2019

Unread post by KC »

Great Lakes Central ran a ballast work train along the Traverse City district on Tuesday, 24 Sept 2019.
GP38-2's 399 and 396 spread 15 hoppers along the mainline starting at MP 15 and working towards Traverse City.

Early in the day, speading stone.

As the day progress's, about 10 cars through the 15 cars.

Loads spread and the hopper doors secure, 399-396 roll towards Traverse City along Keystone Rd.

With orders to run to Amerhart to pick up two empty cars delivered on the 23rd. 396-399 drop the ballast cars along with two other lumber
empty centerbeam cars at the depot track and head towards Bates. Note the earthwork being done along the tracks.

Train would tie up in Traverse City for the night and return to Cadillac next day.

Here's a shot from the 23 Sept 2019 train taking the two loads to Amerhart, crossing Holiday Rd.

Kelly
"I feel like an old railroad man
...and I know I can walk along the tracks,
It may take a little longer but I'll know
how to find my way back"

AANscaleRunner
Railroadfan...fan

Re: GLC Ballast train on 24 Sept 2019

Unread post by AANscaleRunner »

Thank you for the photos KC.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

As always great pictures and story, KC.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

We used to use a railroad tie in front of the wheels and come alongs to secure the hopper doors to unload ballast. Unlatch the doors and then release SLOWLY the come alongs and let the stone come out in a nice even flow. The tie made a fantastic spreader....until you hit a switch frog guard rail and the hopper ran over the tie and derailed...been there done that! WHOOPSIE! Well MofW did it, they were in control...no harm no foul.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.