Chelsea Milling (Jiffy) 1990's

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
ChessieCat
Railroadfan...fan

Chelsea Milling (Jiffy) 1990's

Unread post by ChessieCat »

I grew up in Dexter and we would pass through Chelsea frequently and I can remember being impressed by the Jiffy Mix plant, but I never really photographed it or took much interest in it then. I usually went to the places that had lots of action like Plymouth and Durand. Now that I have lived in California for 15 years I'm realizing I really like some of the Michigan prototypes I grew up with and have been trying to recreate them.

I have been collecting information and considering building Chelsea Milling (Jiffy) as an HO Scale Free-mo module. The actual facility between Main street and Hayes street measures 1740 feet which would actually be 19.5 feet in HO and my plan is to build it with three 60" module sections. I started realizing this was a very doable industry that would be interesting to switch as it has several car spots. Unlike grain elevators which are simpler and only require picking up loads and dropping off empties, that's very little switching. I also considered Post, Lowell (King MIlling) but both lack the personal connection which Chelsea has to me. I have been looking for photos taken prior to 2000 and haven't been able to find many.

I also am very curious what the rail operations looked like in the 1990's. Google Satellite views date back to 1998 and all only show cars on the north side of the facility. When did they cease using the dumping shed on the south side? What "raw materials" did they receive by rail?
Looking at the covered hoppers I'm guessing they receive corn and wheat. Looking at the ingredients of Jiffy Baking Mix the possible incoming commodities could be: wheat, corn, sodium bicarbonate (baking soda), salt, sugar, starch, powdered milk, and vegetable oil. Did they receive cardboard for boxes by rail? What about plastic pellets for the plastic bags? Did they ship any finished goods or by products out by rail?

I would appreciate any information anyone might have that would make figuring this out much easier and also any photos taken prior to 2005 would also be welcomed.

Thanks,
Dan
Roseville, CA

Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Chelsea Milling (Jiffy) 1990's

Unread post by Ben Higdon »

There are some aerials going back to the 1950s on historicaerials.com. Not much detail but you may find them interesting.