CN Wyandotte

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.

CN Wyandotte

Unread postby b17bass » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:02 pm

I don't make it down there much anymore but I recently watched a loaded coal train run North through Wyandotte on the most easterly track. I think this train runs from Lang yard to the DTE plant on River Rouge. I thought these trains were discontinued?
b17bass
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CN Wyandotte

Unread postby AARR » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:42 pm

I heard CN still gets a few trains of coal
b17bass wrote:I don't make it down there much anymore but I recently watched a loaded coal train run North through Wyandotte on the most easterly track. I think this train runs from Lang yard to the DTE plant on River Rouge. I thought these trains were discontinued?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread postby GTW6401 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:54 pm

Ive heard its only been eastern coal off CSX to DTE River Rouge.

The vast majority of coal for DTE is moving on the lakes from Superior, Wisconsin.
GTW6401
how bout no

Unread postby Standard Railfan » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:02 am

Many coal fired power plants use a mixture of low sulfur western coal and higher sulfur eastern coal.

I was part of a discussion about this topic with air permitting consultants and staff from We energies. Apparently the control equipment installed to remove sulfur and other undesirable emissions need a certain concentration of sulfur compounds in the gas stream to function properly.
Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread postby AARR » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:34 pm

Last time I checked DTE was burning 52% western and 48% eastern coal and Consumers 75%/25%. Things may have changed.
Standard Railfan wrote:Many coal fired power plants use a mixture of low sulfur western coal and higher sulfur eastern coal.

I was part of a discussion about this topic with air permitting consultants and staff from We energies. Apparently the control equipment installed to remove sulfur and other undesirable emissions need a certain concentration of sulfur compounds in the gas stream to function properly.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread postby KenB » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:09 am

DTE Electric River Rouge Power Plant only has one unit that burns coal and it has been down in economic reserve since February. The "thermal" coal comes to plat via NS & Conrail. The coal trains on the DT&I-GTW-CN are "meturagical" coal. The plant grinds coal for blast furnace injection for both USS Great Lakes Works and AK Steel Dearborn Works.
KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Return to Michigan Talk