CSX employment

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.

CSX employment

Unread postby rob » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:07 pm

Has anyone hear of any body getting hired for grand Rapids mi. The local managment said there 12 in school now.


Rob
rob
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 12:56 pm
Location: grand Rapids

Re: CSX employment

Unread postby Doktor No » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:45 pm

Havn't heard anything along that line. I would assume the 12 at school could/would be conductors at engineer training school. A lot of guys are retiring this year here in GR. They would thusly move up (or down depending on ones outlook) to being train drivers.
Enjoy Every Sandwich.
User avatar
Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 718
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:49 pm

Re: CSX employment

Unread postby Raildudes dad » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:59 pm

Took 11 days to pick up 4-5 empty center beams from the GR. GDLK come up and grabs the string with their couple in the line and take them all to Hughart. "Duh boss, we brought all of them, yah, but most weren't for us" lol
So the mill logistic company wants to know what happened to their car. Well I tell them it took a tour of the town and it's still here in Grand Rapids
Raildudes dad
Roadmaster
 
Posts: 4482
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:12 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

Re: CSX employment

Unread postby Saturnalia » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:14 pm

Raildudes dad wrote:Well I tell them it took a tour of the town and it's still here in Grand Rapids

Ahh, the good old GR circle tour. Oughta send them up on a round trip to Baldwin, to make sure those cars see all of the GRR railroads!
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Dah Yooper Snowfall Total: 317"
User avatar
Saturnalia
Authority on Cat
 
Posts: 13631
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:54 pm
Location: Michigan's Copper Country

Re: CSX employment

Unread postby Raildudes dad » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:07 am

Better than the time the computer repeatedly played return to sender with a load until Doc finally manually over rode the computer :lol:
Raildudes dad
Roadmaster
 
Posts: 4482
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:12 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

Re: CSX employment

Unread postby Doktor No » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:35 am

Raildudes dad wrote:Better than the time the computer repeatedly played return to sender with a load until Doc finally manually over rode the computer :lol:

Call Clutch at the lumber company on Fruit Ridge..."Is this your car?" "Why yes, yes it is." So just take it up and give it to GRE...easy enough. Who finally got paid? Not my problem. Customer gets their product, that's my problem...and its fun to screw around with J-ville who told me "you can't do that..." Bwahahaha. Glad I am GONE!
Enjoy Every Sandwich.
User avatar
Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 718
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:49 pm

Re: CSX employment

Unread postby barnstormer » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:33 pm

Doktor No wrote: Call Clutch at the lumber company on Fruit Ridge..."Is this your car?" "Why yes, yes it is." So just take it up and give it to GRE...easy enough. Who finally got paid? Not my problem. Customer gets their product, that's my problem...and its fun to screw around with J-ville who told me "you can't do that..." Bwahahaha. Glad I am GONE!


It's sad (and a shame) that a foreman/conductor on a yard/local job has to "override" the carrier's computer system in order to get the customer the car they ordered! sheesh!

-barny
barnstormer
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:33 am

Re: CSX employment

Unread postby Raildudes dad » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:47 pm

I don't remember the details anymore but the GDLK system and the CSX system said it wasn't their car and automatically generated a WO and returned it back to the other. I'm tracing it for the customer watching the ping pong across town. Finally Doc got it to go to the GR
Raildudes dad
Roadmaster
 
Posts: 4482
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:12 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI

Re: CSX employment

Unread postby Eric Berger » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:06 am

Raildudes dad wrote:I don't remember the details anymore but the GDLK system and the CSX system said it wasn't their car and automatically generated a WO and returned it back to the other. I'm tracing it for the customer watching the ping pong across town. Finally Doc got it to go to the GR

Same baloney goes on in the airlines too! Guy I know (Retired airline agent) loves to tell the story of a bag that was tagged for Minneapolis but kept coming back to Detroit; Minneapolis kept saying that the claim check number was invalid or something. Finally after a couple of days of back-and-forth, he did some digging. Come to find out, some idiot skycap had mistagged it -- there was a claim on it from SEATTLE, complete with the "Invalid claim check number!"

So, once he found that out, he just correctly tagged it, sent the new claim check number to Seattle, and put it on the next flight out. Did it make it to Seattle that time? Who knows -- he mentions that that particular flight switched aircraft at Minneapolis. For all we know, it may still be bouncing from airport to airport, all these years later!
"From a really tall tower, in the middle of a really big field..."
User avatar
Eric Berger
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2004 11:17 am
Location: Southeast Michigan

Re: CSX employment

Unread postby NSSD70ACe » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:17 am

Eric Berger wrote:
Raildudes dad wrote:I don't remember the details anymore but the GDLK system and the CSX system said it wasn't their car and automatically generated a WO and returned it back to the other. I'm tracing it for the customer watching the ping pong across town. Finally Doc got it to go to the GR

Same baloney goes on in the airlines too! Guy I know (Retired airline agent) loves to tell the story of a bag that was tagged for Minneapolis but kept coming back to Detroit; Minneapolis kept saying that the claim check number was invalid or something. Finally after a couple of days of back-and-forth, he did some digging. Come to find out, some idiot skycap had mistagged it -- there was a claim on it from SEATTLE, complete with the "Invalid claim check number!"

So, once he found that out, he just correctly tagged it, sent the new claim check number to Seattle, and put it on the next flight out. Did it make it to Seattle that time? Who knows -- he mentions that that particular flight switched aircraft at Minneapolis. For all we know, it may still be bouncing from airport to airport, all these years later!


Always a nightmare, handling bags. We had seven bags going to Manila when they decided to go via Detroit AND Seattle THEN Narita instead of just being routed through DTW and NRT. We were lucky to push on time. Always something new with the airlines.
If the Conductor is in charge of the train, then why is he promoted to Engineer?
NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru
 
Posts: 976
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:34 pm
Location: Somewhere over the Rainbow


Return to Michigan Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Jochs and 1 guest

x