HESR vs LSRC...Battle for customers and traffic

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
arty flowers
Railroadfan...fan

HESR vs LSRC...Battle for customers and traffic

Unread post by arty flowers »

Yesterday I saw Dons comments on how Lake States connection with CN in Flint could hurt and take away some of HESR traffic. Since they get the main cash cow in DowDupont at Midland and other traffic from the thumb, does HESR have anything to worry about since they have their own connection at Durand, but they also connect with GLC at Durand and have a customer they switch there also.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: HESR vs LSRC...Battle for customers and traffic

Unread post by SD80MAC »

I think Don was referring to some CN bound LSRC traffic that has historically gone via the HESR to CN at Durand. Now that LSRC has their own connection to CN I doubt they will be moving that traffic via HESR anymore.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

You are correct, SD80. Although this will allow LSRC to compete with HESR for Dow traffic destined for CN.
SD80MAC wrote:I think Don was referring to some CN bound LSRC traffic that has historically gone via the HESR to CN at Durand. Now that LSRC has their own connection to CN I doubt they will be moving that traffic via HESR anymore.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

BOHICA
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by BOHICA »

They have everything to worry about, the GW charges an arm and leg for their "safe premier" rail service and it has cost them a lot of lost revenue. If it's cheaper to get the cars in flint why would anybody stay with the HESR.

RailroadingFan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by RailroadingFan »

It’s cheaper to get the Dow cars in Durand than flint because you would be paying Canadian National less to take Dow cars to Durand than paying Canadian National to take the Dow cars to flint and Grain it’s cheaper to do grain with HESR because CN or GLC will take it and go south and the Coal is the same.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

What's to stop LSRC from under cutting HESR's price?
RailroadingFan wrote:It’s cheaper to get the Dow cars in Durand than flint because you would be paying Canadian National less to take Dow cars to Durand than paying Canadian National to take the Dow cars to flint and Grain it’s cheaper to do grain with HESR because CN or GLC will take it and go south and the Coal is the same.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...