Pere Marquette Date Nails

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.

Pere Marquette Date Nails

Unread postby kd_1014 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:27 am

Did the Pere Marquette place date nails in the ties? I have been looking for ages but I have come up with ZERO. Did they just not place them or are they just rare?
Why are all the fun things illegal?
kd_1014
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:29 pm
Location: Creston, Grand Rapids

Re: Pere Marquette Date Nails

Unread postby SD80MAC » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:12 am

You're not going to find any ties on any remaining Pere Marquette trackage that date from the Pere Marquette era anymore. Unless it was some obscure siding or branch line that hasn't seen any maintenance in the last 70 years. It sounds like you're railfanning mostly around Fuller Jct and Grand Rapids. There have been several massive tie replacement projects in the last 20 years that would've removed any that were still around, if there were even any left at that point to begin with.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail6809/popular-interesting/
Image
User avatar
SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan
 
Posts: 7951
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:59 pm
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: Pere Marquette Date Nails

Unread postby fredstev » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:57 am

Your guess is as good as mine if these are genuine, but FWIW, check this Ebay link:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CHOICE-OF-ONE-1936-THRU-1952-DATED-PERE-MARQUETTE-MICHIGAN-RAILROAD-NAIL-/133014396788
Pere Marquette guy
fredstev
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:20 am
Location: St. Charles, MI

Re: Pere Marquette Date Nails

Unread postby Standard Railfan » Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:24 pm

kd_1014 wrote:Did the Pere Marquette place date nails in the ties? I have been looking for ages but I have come up with ZERO. Did they just not place them or are they just rare?


Best bet is to find an old pile of removed ties lying along the ROW. There are not many left as the environmental regulators have pushing the railroads to remove such piles.
User avatar
Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 1422
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:25 pm
Location: Marquette, MI

Re: Pere Marquette Date Nails

Unread postby Steve B » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:47 pm

Railroads often get rid of unusable ties by selling them to powerplants. I don't recall hearing anything about regulators harassing railroads about piles of ties on the R/W. Can you provide a source?
Steve B
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 339
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:03 pm
Location: East Lansing

Re: Pere Marquette Date Nails

Unread postby Trainman2223 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:21 am

https://www.masslive.com/news/2018/10/p ... 00_fo.html

https://www.masslive.com/news/2017/01/s ... il_ti.html

Most are "forced" to remove piles of ties due to fire hazard.

There are a few story's about environmental issues ( creosote & Chromated copper arsenate) and increased risk to the health and safety of the public or first responders.

Ect, Ect.
Semper Fi
User avatar
Trainman2223
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 191
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:45 am
Location: Michigan

Re: Pere Marquette Date Nails

Unread postby Standard Railfan » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:39 pm

Steve B wrote:Railroads often get rid of unusable ties by selling them to powerplants. I don't recall hearing anything about regulators harassing railroads about piles of ties on the R/W. Can you provide a source?


Used railroad ties, like most other things, are regulated as solid waste once they have been removed. Most states have very similar rules driven by federal mandates. Most states limit the amount of time that “regulated” solid waste can be stored prior to disposal. I found a useful article from the Missouri DNR discussing the subject. [url]https://dnr.mo.gov/pubs/pub196.htm
[/url]

I recall as recently as 10 years ago ties were left on the ROW to rot or piled in back corners of yards. I have not seen anything like that on an operating railroad for some time. The reason for the change? Regulations changed.
User avatar
Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 1422
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:25 pm
Location: Marquette, MI

Re: Pere Marquette Date Nails

Unread postby MQT1223 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:18 pm

If you want date nails, the last mile of track on the old GT between Grand River Ave and the County Line by Lowell has them still. Some ties have nails in them going from the 30's all the way up to the 60's.

Trainman2223 wrote:https://www.masslive.com/news/2018/10/pan_am_railways_fined_90000_fo.html

https://www.masslive.com/news/2017/01/s ... il_ti.html

Most are "forced" to remove piles of ties due to fire hazard.

There are a few story's about environmental issues ( creosote & Chromated copper arsenate) and increased risk to the health and safety of the public or first responders.

Ect, Ect.


Tell those inspectors to go down to the Michigan Southern, massive piles of them laying around in Sturgis. :lol:
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)
User avatar
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner
 
Posts: 2716
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:46 pm
Location: Grandville, Michigan

Re: Pere Marquette Date Nails

Unread postby Standard Railfan » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:29 pm

MQT1223 wrote:Tell those inspectors to go down to the Michigan Southern, massive piles of them laying around in Sturgis. :lol:


I am not sure that meets my definition of an operating railroad. :lol:
User avatar
Standard Railfan
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 1422
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:25 pm
Location: Marquette, MI

Re: Pere Marquette Date Nails

Unread postby EWRice » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:52 pm

The closest you may be able to find is near Michigan Shore's ROW.

The line to the old papermill in Lakeside
The ties still laying in position for the old siding at Pontaluna Rd. (NE corner of crossing between tracks and driveway)
Siding into Verplanks in Ferrysburg.
Siding in front of Grand Haven depot.
Siding from OCRC to Heybor excavating at Hayes St.

The landscape ties I picked up from North yard years back didn't have date nails in them, but one had a small stamped sign nailed to it that said "Re check your lineup". Too short for a switch tie. Always wondered where that would have been used.
EWRice
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 370
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 7:07 pm
Location: Muskegon, MI

Re: Pere Marquette Date Nails

Unread postby kd_1014 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:00 pm

EWRice wrote:The closest you may be able to find is near Michigan Shore's ROW.

The line to the old papermill in Lakeside
The ties still laying in position for the old siding at Pontaluna Rd. (NE corner of crossing between tracks and driveway)
Siding into Verplanks in Ferrysburg.
Siding in front of Grand Haven depot.
Siding from OCRC to Heybor excavating at Hayes St.

The landscape ties I picked up from North yard years back didn't have date nails in them, but one had a small stamped sign nailed to it that said "Re check your lineup". Too short for a switch tie. Always wondered where that would have been used.


Sounds good, thanks. Is the Verplanks in Ferrysburg the old track that's still in place at the boiler factory near Spring Lake or is it another place?
Why are all the fun things illegal?
kd_1014
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:29 pm
Location: Creston, Grand Rapids

Re: Pere Marquette Date Nails

Unread postby EWRice » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:24 pm

The remaining track at the boiler shop is off the old GTW, as is the track under US31 and to the west of the Spring Lake off ramp. Verplanks track is between the swing bridge and 3rd st west of the main. I believe this used to be for Construction Aggregates back in the day.
EWRice
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 370
Joined: Fri May 10, 2013 7:07 pm
Location: Muskegon, MI

Re: Pere Marquette Date Nails

Unread postby kd_1014 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:43 am

EWRice wrote:The remaining track at the boiler shop is off the old GTW, as is the track under US31 and to the west of the Spring Lake off ramp. Verplanks track is between the swing bridge and 3rd st west of the main. I believe this used to be for Construction Aggregates back in the day.


Rodger, did the GTW use date nails or no?
Why are all the fun things illegal?
kd_1014
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:29 pm
Location: Creston, Grand Rapids

Re: Pere Marquette Date Nails

Unread postby Doktor No » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:14 pm

kd_1014 wrote:
EWRice wrote:The remaining track at the boiler shop is off the old GTW, as is the track under US31 and to the west of the Spring Lake off ramp. Verplanks track is between the swing bridge and 3rd st west of the main. I believe this used to be for Construction Aggregates back in the day.


Rodger, did the GTW use date nails or no?

Yes they did per the note above about the Ex GTW from Lowell Grand River eastward to the county line. There were, at one time, a lot of date nails going up the hill on the now MQT line...Lameroux on up northward...but I assume they were replaced by CSX when we did a large tie replacement a few years back..well 10 plus maybe anyway.
Enjoy Every Sandwich.
User avatar
Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 736
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2015 5:49 pm

Re: Pere Marquette Date Nails

Unread postby kd_1014 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:16 pm

Doktor No wrote:
kd_1014 wrote:
EWRice wrote:The remaining track at the boiler shop is off the old GTW, as is the track under US31 and to the west of the Spring Lake off ramp. Verplanks track is between the swing bridge and 3rd st west of the main. I believe this used to be for Construction Aggregates back in the day.


Rodger, did the GTW use date nails or no?

Yes they did per the note above about the Ex GTW from Lowell Grand River eastward to the county line. There were, at one time, a lot of date nails going up the hill on the now MQT line...Lameroux on up northward...but I assume they were replaced by CSX when we did a large tie replacement a few years back..well 10 plus maybe anyway.


Thanks for the info.
Why are all the fun things illegal?
kd_1014
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:29 pm
Location: Creston, Grand Rapids

Re: Pere Marquette Date Nails

Unread postby Saturnalia » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:34 pm

Picked quite a few date nails off the UP Montana and Aberdeen Subs last summer while working out there. Still plenty of "Mormon Ties" still in service on those lower-tonnage lines. These ties are over twice the cross-section of a standard timber today - and that's helped them stick around so long. Mostly installed in the 1930s.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Dah Yooper Snowfall Total: 317"
User avatar
Saturnalia
Authority on Cat
 
Posts: 13654
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:54 pm
Location: Michigan's Copper Country

Re: Pere Marquette Date Nails

Unread postby kd_1014 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:49 pm

Thanks for all of the information! I found a 1949 nail in one of the old tie piles near the Alpine Approach signal on the GRE.
Why are all the fun things illegal?
kd_1014
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:29 pm
Location: Creston, Grand Rapids

Re: Pere Marquette Date Nails

Unread postby Raildudes dad » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:17 pm

There still might be a few on the GR / CPMY. My son got a lot of them over the years
Raildudes dad
Roadmaster
 
Posts: 4502
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2005 10:12 am
Location: Grand Rapids, MI


Return to Michigan Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

x