Amtrak ITCS P42's

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
kd_1014
Mike

Amtrak ITCS P42's

Unread post by kd_1014 »

Does anyone have a list of all of the Amtrak P42s that are equipped with ITCS?

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Amtrak ITCS P42's

Unread post by NS3322 »

kd_1014 wrote:Does anyone have a list of all of the Amtrak P42s that are equipped with ITCS?
From "The Diesel Shop":

Locos #26-38 and #126 and #127 have ITCS equipment.

(#128 was equipped with ITCS, but was wrecked in Leoni, Michigan in 2012).

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

The Illinoise ITCS units were were numbered in the 50's and 60s'IIRC_---which Michigan will supposedly get at some point(if the mech. dept. can get some of the regular pool service P42s back in service and then these get released for Mich service)...maybe even before the illustrious Chargers show up :roll: :roll:

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Buster Manning wrote:The Illinoise ITCS units were were numbered in the 50's and 60s'IIRC_---which Michigan will supposedly get at some point(if the mech. dept. can get some of the regular pool service P42s back in service and then these get released for Mich service)...maybe even before the illustrious Chargers show up :roll: :roll:
Speaking of the Chargers, I’ve got it on decent authority that they are going to begin testing within the month in Michigan and will likely be in service by the summer.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

NSSD70ACe wrote:
Buster Manning wrote:The Illinoise ITCS units were were numbered in the 50's and 60s'IIRC_---which Michigan will supposedly get at some point(if the mech. dept. can get some of the regular pool service P42s back in service and then these get released for Mich service)...maybe even before the illustrious Chargers show up :roll: :roll:
Speaking of the Chargers, I’ve got it on decent authority that they are going to begin testing within the month in Michigan and will likely be in service by the summer.
I will believe it when I see it. I keep hearing this every few months or so.

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

"Decent authority" really doesn't mean much on a rayrhode on which the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing....besides, if they are having issues with the ITCS/PTC with a hi-rail truck, what are the odds that it will work with an locomotive/test train either??

PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PerRock »

The latest AASHTO High Speed Rail meeting notes state that:
• 5 MI units will be moving from Pueblo to Chicago in the next few weeks.*
• The Michigan corridor requires ITCS version of PTC and all others require I-ETMS. The new locomotives have both systems on-board and the testing needs to include both.
• I-ETMS commissioned on all locos in Chicago
• Twelve Chargers ready for ITCS commissioning, pending software updates
• For the new locomotives, the implementation of the PTC tests have been scheduled secondary to Amtrak’s current fleet.
• Michigan Line 110 mph operations to begin in Spring 2019
You can read the pdf these quotes are from here: http://www.highspeed-rail.org/Documents ... Update.pdf

* This meeting was held on 2/22/19. Presumably they should be moving to Chicago within days, if they're not already there.

peter
Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.
American Trainz Group

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

NS3322 wrote:
NSSD70ACe wrote:
I will believe it when I see it. I keep hearing this every few months or so.
Buster Manning wrote:"Decent authority" really doesn't mean much on a rayrhode on which the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing....besides, if they are having issues with the ITCS/PTC with a hi-rail truck, what are the odds that it will work with an locomotive/test train either??
Peter hit it right on the head. There were a string of Chargers on the power tracks in Chicago on Friday (3/15) but I couldn’t tell if they were already in service on the Illinois trains or if they’d just arrived. But get your P42 shots while you can.

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

Are 518 and 519 still ITCS equipped?
Anyone know why the following order was issued 2 years ago?
It followed them being used on ITCS test trains.

"Unless otherwise restricted, ITCS equipped P32-BWH locomotives in the lead position
of a train consist must not exceed 79 MPH between MP 240.5 and MP 143.16."

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

DaveO wrote:Are 518 and 519 still ITCS equipped?
Anyone know why the following order was issued 2 years ago?
It followed them being used on ITCS test trains.

"Unless otherwise restricted, ITCS equipped P32-BWH locomotives in the lead position
of a train consist must not exceed 79 MPH between MP 240.5 and MP 143.16."
I believe they are as a pair of BWH's ran a rail train up here a few months ago.

As for the restriction, I couldn't tell you. All I can say is that those mileposts encompass the entirety of the 110 MPH section between Porter and Kalamazoo (roughly Willard Street up here). Wikipedia shows the top speed for the BWH is 103 MPH.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Are the B32-8WH's also equipped with the ITCS in order to run MOW trains on the Michigan Line as well?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PerRock »

There are two or 3 that are.

peter

Edit: 518 & 519, there may be another.
Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.
American Trainz Group

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

NSSD70ACe wrote: I believe they are as a pair of BWH's ran a rail train up here a few months ago.
I have photographic evidence:
(This was taken in Battle Creek back in November 2018).

kd_1014
Mike

Unread post by kd_1014 »

NS3322 wrote:
NSSD70ACe wrote: I believe they are as a pair of BWH's ran a rail train up here a few months ago.
I'm guessing that was the CWR train with the boxcar?
The CWR train was parked in the GDLK Kalamazoo Gearhart Yard for a while a few months ago.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

kd_1014 wrote:
NS3322 wrote:
I'm guessing that was the CWR train with the boxcar?
The CWR train was parked in the GDLK Kalamazoo Gearhart Yard for a while a few months ago.
I believe you are correct. The boxcars had NS reporting marks.