Ferry Yard

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Ferry Yard

Unread post by chapmaja »

I had to drive by Ferry Yard the other day on my way to work. Noticed a cut of tank cars on the passing siding. This is the first time I've witnessed anything in the yard.

They had a "hot" placard on them with the code number 3257. My records indicate this is a hot asphalt placard. Does the AA or GLC have any customers that would be getting hot asphalt or would these be cars, possibly in short term storage? The string of cars was cut so that the walkway between parts of the UM athletic campus was accessible.

Two car numbers are NATX 252452 and UTLX 645254.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Re: Ferry Yard

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Looks like storage. Came empty from western New York via CSX. Spotted at River Rouge / Melvindale (Marathon most likely). Pulled empty by NS and sent to the AA empty

renf
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by renf »

What routing was used to get those tank cars from Melvindale to Ferry yard in Tree City? Thanks.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

renf wrote:What routing was used to get those tank cars from Melvindale to Ferry yard in Tree City? Thanks.
I would assume interchange may have been accomplished at Milan.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Something is being transloaded into tank cars in Dundee on the spur lead to the engine plant. They might be for that service.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

AARR wrote:Something is being transloaded into tank cars in Dundee on the spur lead to the engine plant. They might be for that service.
I don't think so. Those are placarded as crude oil cars in Dundee. These are showing as asphalt cars. I know a placard can be changed but I don't see them needing that many cars for Dundee unless they found a real rich well in the area and are shipping multiple unit trains from a 7 car loading area.