Ivanrest "Lamar" Signals

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
kd_1014
Mike

Ivanrest "Lamar" Signals

Unread post by kd_1014 »

What type of signals are the Ivanrest signals? I saw it approach lit on track 2 when Q327 was passing but nothing came.

rob
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Ivanrest "Lamar" Signals

Unread post by rob »

kd_1014 wrote:What type of signals are the Ivanrest signals? I saw it approach lit on track 2 when Q327 was passing but nothing came.
what sign are you asking about ?

lamar is the last signal you get before you enter the yard is a adsolute signal. going into the yard the best signal you can get is restricting

ivanrest is the signal next to the street named ivanrest. it's an intermediate signal. it tells the crew what kind of signal
they will be getting at the next signal. if heading east toward the yard the best you will get is an approach. going west you can get everting from clear to restricted procced depending what the track condition ahead and what track your on.

rob

kd_1014
Mike

Unread post by kd_1014 »

rob wrote:
kd_1014 wrote:What type of signals are the Ivanrest signals? I saw it approach lit on track 2 when Q327 was passing but nothing came.
what sign are you asking about ?

lamar is the last signal you get before you enter the yard is a adsolute signal. going into the yard the best signal you can get is restricting

ivanrest is the signal next to the street named ivanrest. it's an intermediate signal. it tells the crew what kind of signal
they will be getting at the next signal. if heading east toward the yard the best you will get is an approach. going west you can get everting from clear to restricted procced depending what the track condition ahead and what track your on.

rob
Thank you, Rob. I was asking about the Ivanrest signals. I get Lamar and Ivanrest confused a lot. Would the Ivanrest signals still show an approach to the Lamar signals even if a train wasn't coming?

trnwatcher
My name ain't Steven

Unread post by trnwatcher »

[quote="kd_1014]
Thank you, Rob. I was asking about the Ivanrest signals. I get Lamar and Ivanrest confused a lot. Would the Ivanrest signals still show an approach to the Lamar signals even if a train wasn't coming?[/quote]
Only if something was lined west at Lamar would the Ivanrest signal be lit. Alot of times it is either yard jobs needing headroom or Q329 yarding their train.
Steven F. Shick
http://www.youtube.com/user/trnwatcher
http://www.trnwatcher.net

I.T. guy/Railfan
"The true railfan has two favorite railroads....the Baltimore & Ohio and another one." - Charles S. Roberts

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

The only time Ivanrest lights up is if a train is in the block on either side of Ivanrest. As Steve mentioned, they’ll be lit up westbound sometimes whenever a yard job is taking headroom at Lamar.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

The intermediate signal standard for CSX, which applies to Ivanrest, is for intermediates to light any heads facing an occupied block, on all tracks present at that location.

So if a train is east of those signals on either track, both of the westbound signals there will light and show whatever is relevant to themselves. Same goes with eastbounds in the opposite direction.

Otherwise absolutes at constant-lit. There are no lit-when-lined signals now like the searchlights in the area used to be.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow