MSO/E&W Ops

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

MSO/E&W Ops

Unread post by MQT1223 »

I've been searching the site for any information regarding the days that the Pioneer operations on the Michigan Southern and the Elkhart and Western operate. A post on an old thread from two years ago states that the crews for both lines alternate and that the Michigan Southern is operated Mon-Wed-Friday and the E&W Tues-Thurs. Can anyone verify if that is still the case? Does the MSO function in a similar fashion to the GRE/MMRR where trains go from one end to the other to serve customers? Just trying to understand how these two railroads function and what a day is like for both of them.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Re: MSO/E&W Ops

Unread post by NS3322 »

MQT1223 wrote:I've been searching the site for any information regarding the days that the Pioneer operations on the Michigan Southern and the Elkhart and Western operate. A post on an old thread from two years ago states that the crews for both lines alternate and that the Michigan Southern is operated Mon-Wed-Friday and the E&W Tues-Thurs. Can anyone verify if that is still the case? Does the MSO function in a similar fashion to the GRE/MMRR where trains go from one end to the other to serve customers? Just trying to understand how these two railroads function and what a day is like for both of them.
I caught the MSO running late on a Friday in Sturgis last fall.
They tied down south of Sturgis at Frank Miller and Sons.
I also think I saw E&W operating in Elkhart on a Friday in June 2016. But alas, I had an Amtrak train to catch so I did not investigate.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

NS3322 wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:I've been searching the site for any information regarding the days that the Pioneer operations on the Michigan Southern and the Elkhart and Western operate. A post on an old thread from two years ago states that the crews for both lines alternate and that the Michigan Southern is operated Mon-Wed-Friday and the E&W Tues-Thurs. Can anyone verify if that is still the case? Does the MSO function in a similar fashion to the GRE/MMRR where trains go from one end to the other to serve customers? Just trying to understand how these two railroads function and what a day is like for both of them.
I caught the MSO running late on a Friday in Sturgis last fall.
They tied down south of Sturgis at Frank Miller and Sons.
I also think I saw E&W operating in Elkhart on a Friday in June 2016. But alas, I had an Amtrak train to catch so I did not investigate.
I was able to catch them in the morning with a different unit, but it was still a fun railroad to explore.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

MQT1223 wrote:I was able to catch them in the morning with a different unit, but it was still a fun railroad to explore.
Would that be #1616?

I also updated the MSO Wiki page on this site. It would be a fun railroad to model.
http://railroadfan.com/wiki/index.php/Michigan_Southern

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

NS3322 wrote:
MQT1223 wrote:I was able to catch them in the morning with a different unit, but it was still a fun railroad to explore.
Would that be #1616?

I also updated the MSO Wiki page on this site. It would be a fun railroad to model.
http://railroadfan.com/wiki/index.php/Michigan_Southern
Yup that was 1616. Didn’t see this engine anywhere.

Yeah the MSO would be fun to model.