New FCA Mack Avenue Assembly in Detroit

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

New FCA Mack Avenue Assembly in Detroit

Unread post by MiddleMI »

FCA announced today that it transform Mack Avenue Engine Plants 1 & 2 into a new assembly plant on Detroit's east side, and also retool the Jefferson North immediately nearby for continued production of the Durango and Jeep Cherokee. They will combined Engine Plants 1 & 2 and build an expansion within the existing footprint.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/busin ... 988890002/

Will this likely mean increased traffic on the Detroit Terminal East Industrial Track? Or is it more likely they ship increased product out by truck? Wasn't the old Budd Co. plant next to Mack Yard demolished at least in part to make additional room for the intermodal terminal? I wonder if the new assembly plant will be given a yard of use the existing Mack Yard?

FCA is Conrail Shared Assets largest Detroit customer; I wonder if they are about to be an even bigger customer?

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: New FCA Mack Avenue Assembly in Detroit

Unread post by AARR »

A few years ago I was told they ship up to 130 auto racks per day
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...