Lake State to Lease CSX Line from Plymouth to Mt. Morris

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.

Re: Lake State to Lease CSX Line from Plymouth to Mt. Morris

Unread postby DaveO » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:17 pm

Robertrains wrote:OK, I am well aware that the "ALCOS" are gone! They all, except RS2U #469, were scrapped at the Roundhouse in Saginaw by Waymore® Power in 2011!!!! I was really hoping LSRC SD40 #5921 would be coming down the tracks! :cry: WOW, LSRC is getting "BIGGER!!!!" :mrgreen: This is awesome!!!! :mrgreen: I hope they stay "Independent!!!!"


Usually when someone wins, that means someone lost. Pretend you're a CSX employee. Imagine how you would feel about having the choice of moving somewhere else or losing your job.

Given the recent growth of Lake States, I expect the wall street vultures will start circling. Enjoy it while you can.
DaveO
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 287
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:57 pm
Location: Between here and there

Re: Lake State to Lease CSX Line from Plymouth to Mt. Morris

Unread postby Crow T Robot » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:24 pm

I haven't been following the trains in Plymouth for awhile but did all the CSX north/south traffic dry up? I remember a Q train, Grain and a Coal train(I imagine this is gone since everyone is going green these days). If this traffic still exists will CSX still run it or is it going to be handed off in the North yard for Lake State to take?
User avatar
Crow T Robot
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 1250
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:48 pm

Re: Lake State to Lease CSX Line from Plymouth to Mt. Morris

Unread postby Robertrains » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:32 am

Crow T Robot wrote:I haven't been following the trains in Plymouth for awhile but did all the CSX north/south traffic dry up? I remember a Q train, Grain and a Coal train(I imagine this is gone since everyone is going green these days). If this traffic still exists will CSX still run it or is it going to be handed off in the North yard for Lake State to take?

I was wondering this myself!!!! Now, I talked recently to "Railfan Gary" and he said that the current main CSX trains to/from Flint now originate/terminate at Rougemere Yard! They don't do that at Walbridge, Ohio anymore! They turn on the north "Wye" in Plymouth. Now, it sounds like coal and grain still work the line. Those may be the through trains now that still cross the diamond. I wonder if LSRC trains will interchange at Rougemere or Plymouth. I need more "Clarification" on all of this!!!! However, it is very exciting for LSRC and yes I hope the current CSX employees keep their jobs!!!!! :wink:
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/
Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 1207
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:13 pm
Location: Roseville, Michigan!!!!

Re: Lake State to Lease CSX Line from Plymouth to Mt. Morris

Unread postby railrod1949 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:54 am

Robertrains wrote:
Crow T Robot wrote:I haven't been following the trains in Plymouth for awhile but did all the CSX north/south traffic dry up? I remember a Q train, Grain and a Coal train(I imagine this is gone since everyone is going green these days). If this traffic still exists will CSX still run it or is it going to be handed off in the North yard for Lake State to take?

I was wondering this myself!!!! Now, I talked recently to "Railfan Gary" and he said that the current main CSX trains to/from Flint now originate/terminate at Rougemere Yard! They don't do that at Walbridge, Ohio anymore! They turn on the north "Wye" in Plymouth. Now, it sounds like coal and grain still work the line. Those may be the through trains now that still cross the diamond. I wonder if LSRC trains will interchange at Rougemere or Plymouth. I need more "Clarification" on all of this!!!! However, it is very exciting for LSRC and yes I hope the current CSX employees keep their jobs!!!!! :wink:


CSX RR train and engine crews are currently based out of Walbridge, OH which is south of Toledo, and worked to and from Flint and to and from Rougemere Yard, Daerborn. Grand Rapids operating crews worked to and from Rougemere Yard.
railrod1949
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 863
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:19 am
Location: Waterford, MI

Re: Lake State to Lease CSX Line from Plymouth to Mt. Morris

Unread postby SD80MAC » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:58 am

The only trains that use Toledo crews that operate to Flint are the grain and coal trains. All of the freight runs out of Rougemere yard in Detroit via D735 and D736.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail6809/popular-interesting/
Image
User avatar
SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan
 
Posts: 7787
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2005 5:59 pm
Location: Grand Rapids

Re: Lake State to Lease CSX Line from Plymouth to Mt. Morris

Unread postby Robertrains » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:31 pm

Today, Sunday January 27, 2019, I photographed LSRC GP38M #2052 at the CSX Rougemere Yard (Ferney Street), Dearborn! It's easy to get pix of it sitting there.
Looks like it will be "Scrapped" soon and the number boards are gone!!!!
:(
Last edited by Robertrains on Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/
Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 1207
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:13 pm
Location: Roseville, Michigan!!!!

Re: Lake State to Lease CSX Line from Plymouth to Mt. Morris

Unread postby NS3322 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:34 pm

Robertrains wrote:Today, Sunday January 27, 2019, I photographed LSRC GP38M #2052 at the CSX Rougemere Yard (Ferney Street), Dearborn! It's easy to get pix of it sitting there.
Looks like it will be "Scrapped" soon and the number boards are gone!!!!
:(


Can you confirm it is being "Scrapped?"
User avatar
NS3322
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 617
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:08 pm
Location: CP-LEVITT

Re: Lake State to Lease CSX Line from Plymouth to Mt. Morris

Unread postby Robertrains » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:40 pm

NS3322 wrote:
Robertrains wrote:Today, Sunday January 27, 2019, I photographed LSRC GP38M #2052 at the CSX Rougemere Yard (Ferney Street), Dearborn! It's easy to get pix of it sitting there.
Looks like it will be "Scrapped" soon and the number boards are gone!!!!
:(


Can you confirm it is being "Scrapped?"

Yes, I talked to one of the guys at the CSX Rougemere Yard office. He said it is going to be "Scrapped!!!!" If you are nice to them, they can help. :wink:

Here's a picture, © Steven Davey, of LSRC 2052 working in Saginaw, 11/23/2011: Image
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2830833
Robert Jackson (Extreme Railfan/Bluewater and Michigan Transit Museum member)

http://cooltrains.rrpicturearchives.net/
Robertrains
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 1207
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:13 pm
Location: Roseville, Michigan!!!!

Re: Lake State to Lease CSX Line from Plymouth to Mt. Morris

Unread postby penn central » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:41 pm

The 2052 was the last unit of the original units assigned to Saginaw in late October 2005. At SBS-LSRCs startup. The other units on day 1 where the 2003, 975, 3504, 281, 1280, and the 381. All the units from day 1 are now gone. The 2003 is still around but silent and a shell of it's former self as slug #304.
penn central
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 1265
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:07 pm

Re: Lake State to Lease CSX Line from Plymouth to Mt. Morris

Unread postby 1TrackMind » Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:44 am

Wonder whats wrong with it. Hate to see it scrapped if someone could use it.
1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Thu May 24, 2018 5:47 pm

Re: Lake State to Lease CSX Line from Plymouth to Mt. Morris

Unread postby Super Chief » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:36 am

Seems a number of railroads with 4 axle power bought 6 axle for heavier trains that makes me wonder if management might be selling the 4 axles soon. GLC, INER and LSRC all went this route. In Coldwater we had a different 4 axle every weekend cause our 110 steamer is down for its FRA boiler inspection. GP9, GP30, GP10, GP7 all provided by INER as back-up. Made the drive over a guessing game as to which unit would be on the train. I loved the diversity of power as a conductor on each one. It's nice to have a good working relationship with the managment team at Milford Grain.
Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 930
Joined: Sat May 26, 2012 9:53 am
Location: Three Rivers, Mi.--Indian Rocks Beach,Fl.

Re: Lake State to Lease CSX Line from Plymouth to Mt. Morris

Unread postby GTW » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:01 am

Maybe the new power for lake States me to involve the operation of PTC.
GTW
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 351
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:51 am

Re: Lake State to Lease CSX Line from Plymouth to Mt. Morris

Unread postby ssnk79 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:56 pm

SD80MAC wrote:Port Huron is home to 1 or 2 local/yard jobs plus the D711 Flint turn. There has always been locals based in PH but the D job wasn’t based there until they closed Flint as a crew base around 2013.


Just an FYI D710/711 is based out of Flint. at least for now
CSX_CO: 10 minutes, keep hoping the yard blows up and I won't have to go in tonight.

CSX_CO: Hump Hump Hump all night long, hump all night while I sing this song. See those cars, going to make them fly, sure hope the double o' eight is on time
ssnk79
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:43 pm

Re: Lake State to Lease CSX Line from Plymouth to Mt. Morris

Unread postby jrgerber » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:27 am

Is Lakes States maintaining the current signal system on the piece they are
leasing?
jrgerber
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 363
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:03 am

Re: Lake State to Lease CSX Line from Plymouth to Mt. Morris

Unread postby DaveO » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:14 am

jrgerber wrote:Is Lakes States maintaining the current signal system on the piece they are
leasing?

Unless they have received permission from the FRA to remove the signal system, they must maintain it.
I'm not aware that they have filed or will file for that permission.
DaveO
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 287
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:57 pm
Location: Between here and there

Re: Lake State to Lease CSX Line from Plymouth to Mt. Morris

Unread postby Crow T Robot » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:10 pm

Is there any hope that this deal might bring back some lost customers or new ones?
User avatar
Crow T Robot
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 1250
Joined: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:48 pm

Re: Lake State to Lease CSX Line from Plymouth to Mt. Morris

Unread postby AARR » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:36 am

There's not a lot of prospects but LSRC has a good marketing and sales team so whatever is out there I'm sure they'll be knocking on doors. One that comes to mind is the transload yard in Wixom. CSX built and operated it but shut it down.
Crow T Robot wrote:Is there any hope that this deal might bring back some lost customers or new ones?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...
User avatar
AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd
 
Posts: 30081
Joined: Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:39 pm
Location: Washington, MI

Re: Lake State to Lease CSX Line from Plymouth to Mt. Morris

Unread postby ssnk79 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:35 pm

DaveO wrote:
jrgerber wrote:Is Lakes States maintaining the current signal system on the piece they are
leasing?

Unless they have received permission from the FRA to remove the signal system, they must maintain it.
I'm not aware that they have filed or will file for that permission.




LSRC tried shutting off the signals between Mt Morris and Saginaw but the FRA wouldn't approve it. So the Signals will stay lit for a while. Plus Plymouth to Flint see's more Hazmat traffic due to the P.H. connection.
CSX_CO: 10 minutes, keep hoping the yard blows up and I won't have to go in tonight.

CSX_CO: Hump Hump Hump all night long, hump all night while I sing this song. See those cars, going to make them fly, sure hope the double o' eight is on time
ssnk79
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:43 pm

Re: Lake State to Lease CSX Line from Plymouth to Mt. Morris

Unread postby Saturnalia » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:12 pm

The STB filing finally dropped the other day:
https://www.stb.gov/filings/all.nsf/ba7 ... 247140.pdf

Key highlights:
- Property line will be north of Middle River a distance such that CSX will have enough headroom in Plymouth
- Interchange will move from Flint to Plymouth
- LSRC can interchange with the CN at Flint or Holly as they like but will pay a fee to CSX for any cars originating on the segment between Flint and Plymouth which are interchanged that way
- LSRC will haul CSX's Port Huron traffic to Flint and CSX will then use trackage rights on LSRC to get down to the CN
- CSX reserves overhead trackage rights to Flint from Plymouth which they can use to reach their CN connection under certain undisclosed terms - probably in the event they find LSRC's haulage rights unsatisfactory

So in general terms CSX intends to keep the Port Huron status quo, with LSRC hauling traffic up to Flint.

I'm excited to see what the Lake State might be able to do with the Flint area, in terms of regenerating traffic. Whole lotta yard space available, too, for storage cars.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Dah Yooper Snowfall Total: 303"
User avatar
Saturnalia
Authority on Cat
 
Posts: 13598
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:54 pm
Location: Michigan's Copper Country

Re: Lake State to Lease CSX Line from Plymouth to Mt. Morris

Unread postby MQT1223 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:30 pm

Saturnalia wrote:The STB filing finally dropped the other day:
https://www.stb.gov/filings/all.nsf/ba7 ... 247140.pdf

Key highlights:
- Property line will be north of Middle River a distance such that CSX will have enough headroom in Plymouth
- Interchange will move from Flint to Plymouth
- LSRC can interchange with the CN at Flint or Holly as they like but will pay a fee to CSX for any cars originating on the segment between Flint and Plymouth which are interchanged that way
- LSRC will haul CSX's Port Huron traffic to Flint and CSX will then use trackage rights on LSRC to get down to the CN
- CSX reserves overhead trackage rights to Flint from Plymouth which they can use to reach their CN connection under certain undisclosed terms - probably in the event they find LSRC's haulage rights unsatisfactory

So in general terms CSX intends to keep the Port Huron status quo, with LSRC hauling traffic up to Flint.

I'm excited to see what the Lake State might be able to do with the Flint area, in terms of regenerating traffic. Whole lotta yard space available, too, for storage cars.


I remember as a kid when CSX and CN/GT removed what was left of the interchange, the station siding and anything else associated with it around the diamond in Holly. What would ever warrant them putting any of that back in? Not saying that they would want to, I just find it interesting that the option is there when the interchange at Flint seems like the more logical place to go.

Also, what will happen the night before the lease begins? Will CSX run one train through to grab anything that is theirs such as locomotives and leave everything else behind that isn't theirs?
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)
User avatar
MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner
 
Posts: 2652
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:46 pm
Location: Grandville, Michigan

PreviousNext

Return to Michigan Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

x