South Shore to run Frieght To Jackson???

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: South Shore to run Frieght To Jackson???

Unread post by Saturnalia »

NSSD70ACe wrote: I got lucky at a show last year and picked up the 2017 Amtrak/MDOT timetable for the Michigan Line. No mention of a high-car detector west of Kalamazoo that I've seen. I don't really think it would be needed, as I thought NS rerouted trains via the GDLK and then onto the AML instead of sending them via Porter. This was back before ITCS was extended east of town.
The High Car Detector is on NS rails within the CP 482 controlled point, so it doesn't appear on the Amtrak MI Line TT.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

Saturnalia wrote:
NSSD70ACe wrote: I got lucky at a show last year and picked up the 2017 Amtrak/MDOT timetable for the Michigan Line. No mention of a high-car detector west of Kalamazoo that I've seen. I don't really think it would be needed, as I thought NS rerouted trains via the GDLK and then onto the AML instead of sending them via Porter. This was back before ITCS was extended east of town.
The High Car Detector is on NS rails within the CP 482 controlled point, so it doesn't appear on the Amtrak MI Line TT.
That is the one at Porter mentioned in the last few posts (eastbound from NS to the Michigan Line). What they are looking for is one for westbound traffic. Does one exist? If so, do you know where that one is?

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

justalurker66 wrote:
Saturnalia wrote:
That is the one at Porter mentioned in the last few posts (eastbound from NS to the Michigan Line). What they are looking for is one for westbound traffic. Does one exist? If so, do you know where that one is?
The high car detector was put up at Porter by Conrail circa 1980s. Conrail had emergency detoured at least one, and I think more, double stacks onto the Michigan Line.
The results weren't good :wink:
The various detectors are in the employee timetables. The Conrail one I looked at only showed the HCD at Porter. No westbound counterpart in the timetable.
NSSD70ACe confirms the Amtrak timetable also doesn't show one for westbound traffic on the Michigan Line.

tadman
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by tadman »

justalurker66 wrote:Per Amtrak's filing with the FRA:
The Chicago South Shore and South Bend Railroad operates over a very short distance on the Michigan Line in the Michigan City area (MP 228.0 to MP 228.79. They operate three days per week (Monday, Wednesday and Friday. The President of Chicago South Shore & South Bend Railroad has agreed by letter (Appendix A, p. 52) to operate during a night-time window between 11:45 pm and 5:30 am central time when no Amtrak passenger trains operate thereby providing temporal separation between CSS&SBRR freight trains and Amtrak passenger trains.

Amtrak and the Chicago South Shore and South Bend Railroad are hereby requesting FRA to grant an exception as provided by §236.1006 (b) (4) (ii) with the additional condition that temporal separation will be provided as described above.
Is this a fairly recent filing? I've seen them in daylight switching cars north/east of the swing bridge. Unless they keep some power up there and switch the plant during the day behind a derail, then run back down the main at night. I'm pretty confused now.

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

tadman wrote:Is this a fairly recent filing? I've seen them in daylight switching cars north/east of the swing bridge. Unless they keep some power up there and switch the plant during the day behind a derail, then run back down the main at night. I'm pretty confused now.
It is on page 51 of their PTCIP (PTC Implementation Plan) revised July 21, 2016. I found a reference to an August 31, 2018, version (5.0) but do not see 5.0 in the docket documents.

(The docket is here: https://www.regulations.gov/docket?D=FRA-2010-0029 )