Plymout trains

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Plymout trains

Unread post by chapmaja »

I had a couple interesting observations over the last two days in and around Plymouth.

Yesterday morning, while driving about 7:00 am on M-14 to Livonia, I noticed the signals just east of where the CSX line crosses under M-14 (near Sheldon Rd) . This is the first time I had noticed the signals. The two columns of signals were red with the exception of the top signal on the right side, which was green. What train would be coming towards Plymouth at this time?

Today, the signals were all red but when crossing under the Saginaw Sub I noticed a string of cars on the track over M-14. they were not present when I returned home this evening about 5:30. Would these be the cars from a train from Flint south or would they be a local. I think some of them were tank cars and gondolas IIRC.

The final question regarding Plymouth and Livonia relates to trains running about 5:30 pm. When I left the Rec Center in Livonia where I was working this weekend I heard a train horn both days. I think this was coming from the CSX line south of I-96 going from Plymouth to Detroit. What train would be running about that time of evening on a weekend.

My final question moves out towards Brighton. When travelling on US-23 and crossing under the CSX line I often look to the signal west of Whitmore Lake Rd. Often times this signal is yellow. What is the current purpose of this signal and why is it so commonly displayed yellow? I have never witnessed it green, but do see it as red some of the time.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Re: Plymout trains

Unread post by Saturnalia »

chapmaja wrote: My final question moves out towards Brighton. When travelling on US-23 and crossing under the CSX line I often look to the signal west of Whitmore Lake Rd. Often times this signal is yellow. What is the current purpose of this signal and why is it so commonly displayed yellow? I have never witnessed it green, but do see it as red some of the time.
It defaults to occupancy until a traffic direction is established. So when it shows yellow it's a good bet nothing is lined past the signal in either direction, and the next signal is red (a control point). When it's red, something is probably lined in the opposite direction as the signal governs, and green, a train is lined in the direction that the signal governs.

Basically it sounds like yellow is the "default" indication when nothing is lined in the area.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

blueheron13
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by blueheron13 »

An EB freight train approaching Plymouth in the morning would most likely be Q328, heading from Grand Rapids to Detroit.
Amateur railfan trying to become a real railfan since 2017.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Saturnalia wrote:
chapmaja wrote: My final question moves out toward Brighton. When traveling on US-23 and crossing under the CSX line I often look to the signal west of Whitmore Lake Rd. Often times this signal is yellow. What is the current purpose of this signal and why is it so commonly displayed yellow? I have never witnessed it green, but do see it as red some of the time.
It defaults to occupancy until a traffic direction is established. So when it shows yellow it's a good bet nothing is lined past the signal in either direction, and the next signal is red (a control point). When it's red, something is probably lined in the opposite direction as the signal governs, and green, a train is lined in the direction that the signal governs.

Basically, it sounds like yellow is the "default" indication when nothing is lined in the area.
CN does the same thing. There are three locations that come to mind where "approach" is the default indication: Hagadorn Road, which is the only set of signals between CP Okemos and Trowbridge, downtown Lansing, where I presume it's for the JAIL crossing, and now out in the Climax area, which appears to be the signals immediately prior to CP Max.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

A minor point, but CN doesn't use the term "CP" for its stations, not on the timetable nor on the radio.