Train Hits Parked Car in Grand Haven

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Train Hits Parked Car in Grand Haven

Unread post by Doktor No »

https://www.woodtv.com/news/ottawa-coun ... 1621799765 They have contacted CSX about it...bwahahahaha. "They didn't know the tracks were in use"...well they weren't until the train came by to use them....
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

RailfanVBC
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Train Hits Parked Car in Grand Haven

Unread post by RailfanVBC »

The "Resist" sticker on the back of their car is also quite indicative of their intelligence.

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

And a video of the carnage:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

Why would CSX need to be contacted? It appears to be a matter with Michigan Shore / Genessee & Wyoming. Or, is this on CSX trackage?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

ConrailDetr​oit wrote:Why would CSX need to be contacted? It appears to be a matter with Michigan Shore / Genessee & Wyoming. Or, is this on CSX trackage?
The news media got it wrong. Shocking, I know! :lol:

It is an MS train on MS tracks...no worries for CSX.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Nice video JT. So they hit the parked car, shoved it to the side, didn't stop and just continued on.... Weird
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

~Z~ wrote:Nice video JT. So they hit the parked car, shoved it to the side, didn't stop and just continued on.... Weird
The problem with the car being parked on the track was corrected :D

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

RailfanVBC wrote:The "Resist" sticker on the back of their car is also quite indicative of their intelligence.
The GP38 could not "resist" hitting the car. :lol: :lol:

hoborich
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by hoborich »

Looked like about $20,000 damage to the front of the locomotive. Yeah, I'm sure the loco had some heavy damage. Should be contacting the dope for a lawsuit. :lol:
"Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV commercial is right for you".

J T
Hates Supper

Unread post by J T »

~Z~ wrote:Nice video JT. So they hit the parked car, shoved it to the side, didn't stop and just continued on.... Weird
That's what I thought too. Wouldn't that technically be leaving the scene of an accident?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimthias/
GRHC - you know every night I can imagine he is in front of his computer screen sitting in his underwear swearing profusely and drinking Blatz beer combing the RailRoadFan website for grammatical errors.

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Should have paid attention in drivers education. It's illegal to park within 50' of the nearest rail at a railroad crossing.

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

+Train was going slow enough that they should have stopped short of the obstruction, called police and had automobile towed. After hitting automobile train should have stopped, called police to make a report, had car towed. While the driver was wrong if he gets some lawyer he can sue and probley win lots of money for being stupid but railroad was wrong in leaving the scene of an accident thereby re-enforcing his case to sue the railroad.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

KenB wrote:+Train was going slow enough that they should have stopped short of the obstruction, called police and had automobile towed. After hitting automobile train should have stopped, called police to make a report, had car towed. While the driver was wrong if he gets some lawyer he can sue and probley win lots of money for being stupid but railroad was wrong in leaving the scene of an accident thereby re-enforcing his case to sue the railroad.
Perhaps they could not stop immediately, as they may have been blocking crossings?

Can someone confirm that they left the scene?

Stinger4me
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Stinger4me »

I suggest the driver(or parker) of the vehicle be given THE SIGN. The crew may not have even felt the collision. My question is: Will railroads be required to post signs, TRAINS MAY PASS THROUGH THIS AREA. The dumbing of America has advanced faster than I expected.

Doktor No
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Doktor No »

Engineer only, engineer sits on OTHER SIDE. Probably didn't even know it happened.
As for the bumper sticker...I expected something...and I got it. I like resisters so there.
Curb Your Enthusiasm.

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

Cops "pulled the train over" south of GH. I imagine it is hard to feel it when you hit a bunch of plastic at those speeds. Especially when you are rocking and rolling across all those low and wide joints in GH.

KenB
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KenB »

Even with one man in cab( never good) when he was coming up to the crossing he should have noticed automobile was a litte close to track and eather slowed down or stopped. Engineer must have control of train to be able to stop withing half the sight distance to an object fowling the tracks. What if it was a "banner test"? Have to stop.
Yes, Americans are in the dumb down mode more so than ever before.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

KenB wrote:Even with one man in cab( never good) when he was coming up to the crossing he should have noticed automobile was a litte close to track and eather slowed down or stopped. Engineer must have control of train to be able to stop withing half the sight distance to an object fowling the tracks. What if it was a "banner test"? Have to stop.
Yes, Americans are in the dumb down mode more so than ever before.
Half the range of vision only applies as part of restricted speed. In this case the train had track authority, granting permission to proceed in accordance with timetable and bulletin posted speeds.

Banner tests only work where restricted speed applies or as a test of the engineer’s reaction time when traveling above restricted speed. In signal areas they shunt the track to drop signals to make it happen.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Saturnalia is correct. "Being able to stop within half the range of vision" only applies when operating under restricted speed rules, such as operating past a restricting signal, being talked by a red signal, or moving in yard limits. In this case, the train had authority to occupy the main and proceed at timetable speed.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

I also was a bit surprised they did not stop after hitting it, but watching it again, I don't know if the engineer would have felt the contact with the car either since it was not a significant amount of contact that is normally witnessed with car incursions onto the tracks.

With that said, I am a bit shocked that the train did not stop prior to hitting the car and absolutely lay on the horn to get someone's attention to move the car. Also, it would have allowed them to radio in to dispatch to contact the GHPD to have it removed from the crossing. You would have to think the engineer, even if he couldn't feel the contact would have been able to see the car was within the width of the trains hangover outside the tracks.

I am not shocked that someone would park on the tracks and "not think they are still in use". I've called AAPD to have them come down to the area west of the Amtrak station a couple times because of people parked on the tracks when the park has been busy. This is the Michigan Line, not a rarely used line and people still park on it.