CSXT Plymouth Subdivision Never Seen Before Video Footage

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
ChessieForever
Railroadfan...fan

Re: CSXT Plymouth Subdivision Never Seen Before Video Footag

Unread post by ChessieForever »

I have just uploaded two classic videos filmed in March of 1991. In these videos we give you a tour of various CSXT yards and the locomotives seen in them at the time. Featured are Toledo, Willard, Columbus, and Chillicothe, Ohio, Russell, Martin, Hazard, and Corbin, Kentucky, Huntington, West Virginia, and Nashville, Tennessee. See an incredible amount of predecessor paint schemes here as well as older model locomotives that no longer exist.

Hope you enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2wOiZ ... PukFVJlqug

BL2-1843
Howell Yardmaster

Unread post by BL2-1843 »

There are now FOUR MORE uploaded videos posted. These are four of a five part October 1992 yard trip taking you from Toledo Ohio to Central Florida and back to Toledo. Part Four begins at the Huntington shop complex, just as NPK 765 steam engine with a 33 car passenger special heads east and finished after dark at Corbin Ky. Another part of this trip which includes Jacksonville, Waycross and other locations will hopefully get uploaded at a later date. These are the places on the four parts currently shown where the action is located.

Oct. 17: Toledo Terminal, Ore Docks & Walbridge Yards, Garrett.
Oct. 18: Chicago Barr & Clearing Yards, NRE Dixmoor, Danville, Trains between Danville & Evansville, Evansville Ind. after Dark.
Oct. 19: Louisville Osborn Yd. Madisonville, Guthrie Ky. Nashville Kayne Ave. & Radnor Yards, Chattanooga after dark.
Oct. 20: Chattanooga, Albertville Ala. Scrap Yard, Gadsden Holding Yd., Birmingham Boyles Yd. Atlanta, Cordelle Ga. At Night.
Oct. 21: Cordelle Ga. Early AM/ Fitzgerald, Wildwood Fla., Uceta Yd. Tampa,
Oct. 23: Florence S.C., Hamlet, Rocky Mt. North Caroline, Richmond Va. After dark.
Oct. 24: Richmond Day, Clifton Forge, Covington, South Charleston W.Va. Danville after dark.
Oct. 25: Huntington, Ashland, Russell, Paintsville, Pikeville, Hazard, Corbin after dark.

ChessieForever
Railroadfan...fan

I have just uploaded another three part trip video from July of 1992 which has a lot of old Conrail footage from Cresson, Horseshoe Curve and Altoona on part one, and winds up at Porter and Burns Harbor after a GTW Battle Creek Shop tour on part 3. Also footage between Toledo and Cumberland and into Kentucky on CSX.

Check it out!

ChessieForever
Railroadfan...fan

Two more videos have just been uploaded. One documents the July 1992 C&O Historical Society Convention in Russell Kentucky and Huntington West Virginia showing rare video footage from inside the CSX Russell locomotive facility, the Raceland car shop, and Huntington’s heavy repair diesel shop. Courtesy of CSX Transportation, we were able to freely walk the grounds documenting the various locomotives that were on site during the convention. The first part of the video takes place in Burnsville and South Charleston West Virginia.

The other is called “Lakeland Florida to Waycross Georgia”, which was actually part of the October 1992 trip but never got uploaded. This one starts at Winston yard in Lakeland Fla., at night in Orlando before moving on to Moncrief yard in Jacksonville and on to Waycross. There, you get an up close personal view of the CSX Rice yard running repair facility which also shows and documents many retired and soon to be retired locomotives that would never run again. Enjoy.

1TrackMind
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by 1TrackMind »

Not a video, but i figured some might enjoy it.
http://gllx3001facts.com/pere_marquette/maps.php

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KVERBERK »

those track maps are really cool. Wish there was one of the detroit sub.
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

ChessieForever
Railroadfan...fan

While there has been quite a number of new trip videos posted since the last time there was any mention of them here on railroadfan, we have been able to tell by the large amount of views that many have been seeing them. That said, it is most note worthy to mention the last two trips to be posted here. The previous one, of a four part December 1987 trip, was the first system wide trip made using a video camera, purchased less than a month before the trip. Being overly excited about this, the camera was able to do a lot of wipe effects which were used by experimentation, yet were not used all that often in later trips.

The most current video just posted is a four part trip video of a December 1996 and early January 1997 trip which turned out to be the last system wide trip ever made. It does not seem possible that this was 23 years ago already. This trip was also the largest one covering 3,711 miles and 12 states in ten days. This trip turned out to be a very emotional one due to the fact it almost did not occur, because the other guys going with me intending to make the trip all cancelled out at the last minute for various reasons. Because my 81 year old grandmother knew of this major disappointment, she offered to make the trip, if it could be carried out. Trying to let her know upfront that these were very grueling trips with long miles driven each day visiting as many yards as we could, she still insisted on going. So off we went just the two of us with she being the note taker of writing down locomotive numbers while the video was being made. We even met up with Dean Heacock who many of you may know from the CSX Photo Archive site on January 2nd at the B&O Transportation Museum in Baltimore.

What turned out be ironic is that seven months later on July 2, 1997 my grandmother went to heaven to be with other members of our family that passed before her. And no, the long trip had nothing to do with the reason. She had known long in advance that she had something wrong with her and would not go to the Doctors about it. Only when my aunt came for a visit in May did she notice something was amiss, things that others who saw her everyday did not notice. We finally got her to the doctors for tests only to find out she was full of bone and brain cancer and two months later she was gone.

It is hard to sometimes watch this trip knowing all of this, yet so thankful that she came along and, wanted to share this with everyone and the story behind it.

Once again, thank-you all for watching these classic CSX videos we have posted from the 40 part Plymouth Subdivision series videoed from 1987-2003 to the 8 system-wide trips videoed from 1987-1996. We have now posted everything from the vault that we have to post. So keep on enjoying these classic videos bringing back to life what CSX Transportation once looked like long before this 21st Century world ever started that we now live in!

KVERBERK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KVERBERK »

Thanks again for sharing these! I have been enjoying them. Especially the ones with commentary.
Up North TSBY/GLC Fan

Boxcar54
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Boxcar54 »

Thank you for posting the Plymouth Sub videos. I used to live in Plymouth until 1967 and was a train buff. Back then we walked to Middle and High School and would cut across or along the tracks on our way. I'm also old enough to vaguely remember steam. My model railroading is C&O mid to late 50's in N scale, although I did use modelers license and throw in a tunnel or two:D