City of Ann Arbor considering Quiet Zones

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

City of Ann Arbor considering Quiet Zones

Unread post by PerRock »

There's been a new & renewed push to have the city implement a quiet zone for the Ann Arbor Railroad.
If Ann Arbor wants to establish a federally approved "quiet zone" to get freight trains to reduce their horn noise while passing through the city, it may cost city taxpayers several million dollars.

There are costly gate systems and other safety upgrades that would be required by the Federal Railroad Administration at as many 19 different crossings along the Ann Arbor Railroad before quieting train horns would be allowed, the city's staff and hired consultants told residents during a meeting Wednesday night, Oct. 3.
https://www.mlive.com/news/ann-arbor/in ... _cost.html

peter
Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.
American Trainz Group

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Re: City of Ann Arbor considering Quiet Zones

Unread post by Ypsi »

They will bit*h at the horn and bit*h at the price.. no way to "win" this one lol. Justify the cost by starting commuter trains? :mrgreen: :lol:
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

johnnycat
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by johnnycat »

Didn't they try this a couple decades ago?

PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PerRock »

Every couple years a handful of new residents who've moved in next to the tracks complain to the city & the city does another survey... they then balk at the cost & it goes nowhere.

Here is the flyer they're using this time: https://imgur.com/a/XfaCzky

Got a bunch of incorrect information in there; such as they're claiming that the Feds will pay for most of it (they won't... QZ's have to be paid for by the local government), of the fact that they' claim there are only 11 crossings in Ann Arbor, when in fact there is about 25, etc.

peter
American Trainz Group

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

PerRock wrote:

peter
That poster uses a still from one of my videos, can't say I am too happy about that. They pulled a still frame found likely via google search and used that image.. why they found a shot of the GLC at Osmer to represent the AA in AA is beyond me, considering there are hundreds if not thousands of actual photos of trains in AA. But I will be sending an email if I can find the poster to let them know I'm not pleased.. That is not fair use of my image as it is advertising and not for research/ news etc. I don't intend on doing anything about it, but my content does not support quiet zones.

The original still is attached viewed from my YouTube dashboard
Attachments
glc quiet zone still.png

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Ypsi wrote:
PerRock wrote:

peter
That poster uses a still from one of my videos, can't say I am too happy about that. They pulled a still frame found likely via google search and used that image.. why they found a shot of the GLC at Osmer to represent the AA in AA is beyond me, considering there are hundreds if not thousands of actual photos of trains in AA. But I will be sending an email if I can find the poster to let them know I'm not pleased.. That is not fair use of my image as it is advertising and not for research/ news etc. I don't intend on doing anything about it, but my content does not support quiet zones.

I had a bad feeling they stole that image...
You would think that if the trains wake them up so often, that they could go and get a photo for themselves.

Read the comments section in the MLive article there is a lot of good material in there.
One comment by "Papa" was especially humorous, "I hope they do it, keep the taxes going up. I just love all the great ideas that come out of AA... whats next neutering pigeons?"

Is "Formercoach1202" a member of this board?
Last edited by NS3322 on Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PerRock »

Ypsi wrote:
PerRock wrote:

peter

You can try contacting the OP in this Reddit thread, it's where I found the image/poster: https://www.reddit.com/r/AnnArbor/comme ... uiet_zone/

could also send a DMCA Takedown to Reddit & Imgur...

peter
American Trainz Group

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Ypsi wrote:The original still is attached viewed from my YouTube dashboard
Come on man, you're stuck in the past! #StudioBeta
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

Ypsi wrote:They pulled a still frame found likely via google search and used that image.
I had a government study steal images from one of my websites for an official document. They credited "Bing". They later updated the study and removed my images for ones not credited (I assume someone had actually visited the locations by then).

The images they stole could have been taken by someone else ... but they were not. It is a bad feeling when you see an image online and think "that looks familiar" then realize it is your photo. And it has a chilling effect. Some of my best photos will never be shared online because of thieves.

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

NS3322 wrote:
That depends on if you agree or disagree with what Formercoach1202 posted.

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

Well it seems my request went through and the image was either removed by the website or the OP (less likely the OP takes it down). Either way link takes you to a this page doesn't exist message now. I didn't expect that to work, but I'm glad it did. Image still shows on Reddit so maybe it's just my LTE but I can't get the image to load.. maybe maybe not I won't lose any sleep over it.
Attachments
IMG_0983.PNG

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

chapmaja wrote:
NS3322 wrote:
Of course I agree!

NYCMan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NYCMan »

Just what Ann Arbor needs. They must have more money than brains. They can do this at the same time they build their new $85 Million Amtrak Depot. too. Better yet, why don't they just elevate all of the tracks? It might be cheaper!

And, cannot wait until their next study comes out that the vibrations from the trains are upsetting the nesting grounds of the endangered red-chested Pyranes squirrel. Then, Amtrak will want to build sound barrier walls around the railroad tracks!

justalurker66
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by justalurker66 »

Ypsi wrote:Well it seems my request went through and the image was either removed by the website or the OP (less likely the OP takes it down). Either way link takes you to a this page doesn't exist message now. I didn't expect that to work, but I'm glad it did. Image still shows on Reddit so maybe it's just my LTE but I can't get the image to load.. maybe maybe not I won't lose any sleep over it.
I am not seeing it on either site ... it may be cached on your device.

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

justalurker66 wrote:
Ypsi wrote:Well it seems my request went through and the image was either removed by the website or the OP (less likely the OP takes it down). Either way link takes you to a this page doesn't exist message now. I didn't expect that to work, but I'm glad it did. Image still shows on Reddit so maybe it's just my LTE but I can't get the image to load.. maybe maybe not I won't lose any sleep over it.
I am not seeing it on either site ... it may be cached on your device.
I still see it on the reddit page and I never opened the original link

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

NS3322 wrote:
chapmaja wrote:
NS3322 wrote:
Of course I agree!
Then yes, I am Formercoach1202

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

NYCMan wrote:Just what Ann Arbor needs. They must have more money than brains. They can do this at the same time they build their new $85 Million Amtrak Depot. too. Better yet, why don't they just elevate all of the tracks? It might be cheaper!

And, cannot wait until their next study comes out that the vibrations from the trains are upsetting the nesting grounds of the endangered red-chested Pyranes squirrel. Then, Amtrak will want to build sound barrier walls around the railroad tracks!
They must have more money than brains. Pretty much sums Ann Arbor up in a sentence.

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

Unless you actually live in Ann Arbor, there's no point in getting so upset. It's interesting how Durand is a quiet zone yet people on this board don't trash them about it.

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

Steve B wrote:Unless you actually live in Ann Arbor, there's no point in getting so upset. It's interesting how Durand is a quiet zone yet people on this board don't trash them about it.
It's because Durant isn't the single most pretentious city in the state of Michigan.

dave989
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by dave989 »

Next they will put a quiet zone on the big house!