Amtrak Mich. Line.

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
GTW
Railroadfan...fan

Amtrak Mich. Line.

Unread post by GTW »

For those that are interested Amtrak is fencing off the right of way thru Lawton. They are starting from the west going east thru town on the south side for now.

DetNative
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Amtrak Mich. Line.

Unread post by DetNative »

I wonder if they're going to be doing this through some of the smaller towns, or even just increase the barriers along the line in general. I feel like we hear a lot of crossing accidents or suicides...

Maybe they're trying to push the speeds higher? ;-)

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

DetNative wrote:I wonder if they're going to be doing this through some of the smaller towns, or even just increase the barriers along the line in general. I feel like we hear a lot of crossing accidents or suicides...

Maybe they're trying to push the speeds higher? ;-)
Can't go over 110mph without eliminating the grade crossings.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

MiddleMI
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiddleMI »

Just a head's up since it was pushed to the second page:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35325&start=20

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

I'll speculate a fence is just best practice with the higher speeds. At 110MPH the horn is not nearly effective as it is at 40-50 MPH. They start blowing far enough out it's not very loud until they are there. Add in a person simply not paying attention, the speed they are passing and the stage is set. You can buy a fair bit of fence for the cost of defending one wrongful death suit.

Buster Manning
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Buster Manning »

They have been working their way east doing this for a while now....

It would be nice if they did this in the AA area....too many idiots crossing/walking the r.o.w. like THEY own it

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

Buster Manning wrote:They have been working their way east doing this for a while now....

It would be nice if they did this in the AA area....too many idiots crossing/walking the r.o.w. like THEY own it
Don't you know Ann Arbor thinks the laws don't apply to them (including the laws of common sense).

Ann Arbor isn't a terrible place to visit, but I'd hate to live there (again).

Chip
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Chip »

chapmaja wrote:
Buster Manning wrote:They have been working their way east doing this for a while now....

Don't you know Ann Arbor thinks the laws don't apply to them (including the laws of common sense).

Ann Arbor isn't a terrible place to visit, but I'd hate to live there (again).
I hate even visiting Ann Arbor. I will avoid it at all costs unless there is absolutely no way I can.

Tom49801
Bangor Webcam Master

Unread post by Tom49801 »

Is there an updated Michigan Line Time Table to be found on-line to see where the 110mph mile posts are? Any Michigan Line Time Table would be nice. I have a friend in the Amtrak Signals Dept based in Jackson, Mi who could probably update me. When I was hired on the NEC in Maryland back in 1979, our max track speed was 110mph. Amtrak worked with state's on the NEC to eliminate the railroad crossings & had built over-passes. New fencing was recently installed. 125mph is the max speed on my territory & it increases to 135mph in northern Maryland (north of Perryville, Md).

Tom49801
Bangor Webcam Master

Re: Amtrak Mich. Grand Rapids Sub

Unread post by Tom49801 »

Does anyone have any new Time Table info for the latest Amtrak speeds along the Grand Rapids subdiv? Thank you :)