Soliciting information about the C&O/PM Ludington sub

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
johnnycat
Railroadfan...fan

Soliciting information about the C&O/PM Ludington sub

Unread post by johnnycat »

I've often thought about modeling the Ludington sub from Saginaw to Ludington as a regional/shortline that leased the line from the C&O in 1980 (vaguely). In that light, I'd like to ask the board for any information regarding trains and customers (especially customers) on the line in from the 70s through the 80s. If anyone has any info the would like to share, I would be very very grateful. Thanks!

Atkinson_Railroad
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Soliciting information about the C&O/PM Ludington sub

Unread post by Atkinson_Railroad »

The historical museum in Saint Charles, Michigan received a large box dropped at their
doorstep about 3 or 4 years ago full of engineering data, track charts, and "paper" related
to the Chesapeake and Ohio Railroad in the Tri-City area in addition to the line to Ludington.

I don't believe any of it is displayed publicly at the museum because it doesn't coincide
with the New York Central (Michigan Central) line that ran through that village.

Seeing that you are located in Mount Pleasant... it may be worth the effort to travel there
during a time the museum is open and gingerly/politely ask if you could at least view the items.
Many of them are too large to scan using a tabletop scanner so using a camera to capture portions of items of interest could be an option.

One item of interest to me when I looked at the material was signaling circuit diagrams
of the trackage where the C&O crossed NYC in Bay City south of Center Avenue.
These diagrams as I recall even showed the location of the distant semaphore signals leading
up to the crossing which I remember still being in place there when I was a kid in the late 1960s.

Hopefully, the documents are still there and were not tossed if you do decide to pursue this lead.

John

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Soliciting information about the C&O/PM Ludington sub

Unread post by Steve B »

Well, we all certainly hope the papers weren't tossed. I messaged the museum on Facebook and suggested it might consider giving the material to Durand, the C&OHS, the Archives of Michigan, etc. if the stuff doesn't fit its mission. I'll post here any reply.