Freight trains to be rolling between Ypsi and Jackson

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
blueheron13
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Freight trains to be rolling between Ypsi and Jackson

Unread post by blueheron13 »

Conrail Detroit or someone else will correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 29G a NB train that terminates at Sterling, dropping off intermodal at Warner Yard in Monroe on the way?

Edit to add: 332 is a NB train to Detroit (Oakwood).
Amateur railfan trying to become a real railfan since 2017.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Why would intermodal be dropped off in Monroe? Did you mean Rouge or Livernois?
blueheron13 wrote:...dropping off intermodal at Warner Yard in Monroe on the way?
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

GTW6401
how bout no

Unread post by GTW6401 »

SD80MAC wrote:Coils for RSDC have historically come from both NS (via Jackson) and CSX (via Lansing). I'm not sure if the JAIL interchange with CN in Lansing is active or not, or if it still even exists for that matter.
I was in Lansing on July 30th and caught the JAIL working. They had a cut of boxcars and worked at Padnos, crossed 496 and left there entire train west of M.L. King Blvd. Based on them running back light id say the CN interchange is still active.

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

chapmaja wrote:What train is B25? Is this the new train running from Jackson - Wayne and back?

Why would they be adding another train instead of just increasing B22 from 4 mile Lake (Chelsea Milling Company) east to Wayne?
B25 is a new local from wayne to Jackson. It's supposed to be steel cars form AK steel in delta Ohio. The routing would be B41 form delta to Toledo. 38E Toledo to Wayne (or another combination of trains). B25 Wayne to Jackson. B44 currently switches the lake siding as needed. There would be no use in extending the train from Jackson as the cars are coming drone Wayne. Making it a local helps save pay since 38e and 39e were two "separate" train starts. As for the wiki, probably not updated yet. B25 is still new and because of the late night running it is hard to figure out.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by chapmaja »

So when was the last time NS ran B16 the Jackson to Inkster local?

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

chapmaja wrote:So when was the last time NS ran B16 the Jackson to Inkster local?
There hasn't been a train that made this run in years. 38E and 39E used to run Wayne to Jackson and back. B44 works Jackson to Chelsea as needed. B17 works wayne to cp25. That's it currently. Plus now the new B25 which will be Wayne to Jackson.

ConrailDetr​oit
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by ConrailDetr​oit »

AARR wrote:Why would intermodal be dropped off in Monroe? Did you mean Rouge or Livernois?
blueheron13 wrote:...dropping off intermodal at Warner Yard in Monroe on the way?
29J is an empty autorack train with intermodal that comes west on the Chicago Line and turns north at Toledo onto the Detroit Line.The intermodal is dropped at Warner Yard in Monroe for 20N to pick up on their way to Livernois. 29J then continues to Sterling. Looking south while driving on SB I-75 over the Detroit Line just north of Monroe, intermodal can be seen when waiting for pick up by 20N.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

Thanks CRD
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

Ypsi wrote:
chapmaja wrote:So when was the last time NS ran B16 the Jackson to Inkster local?
There hasn't been a train that made this run in years. 38E and 39E used to run Wayne to Jackson and back. B44 works Jackson to Chelsea as needed. B17 works wayne to cp25. That's it currently. Plus now the new B25 which will be Wayne to Jackson.
So which train is the regular train that serves Chelsea's grain elevator and Jiffy Mixes? Is that B22 or B44?

Which of these are regular trains and who do they serve?

What I see looking at the list from NS Railfanwiki that I posted above is (Michigan Line trains only)

B01 - not talking about this west end train right now.

B16 - Nobody seems to know when this train last ran.

B17 and / or B18 runs Wayne to Inkster. Appears to serve Ferrolux Metals, Boise Building Materials, Wayne Industries and/ or Autolum processing just east of the diamond in Wayne. Moving east Cul-Mac industries with covered hoppers. Do these trains also work the Ford Plant in Wayne? Are there two symbols because they work two different shirts and either train can go east as needed to work the other industries? Also, does these trains run west to Worthington Steel Processing and Contractors Steel?

B19 traffic between Wayne Yard and Oakwood Yard. Does this work any industries along the way or is it simply a transfer between the two yards?

B22 and B44. These trains both appear to head as far east as Chelsea coming from Jackson. Do they also work the local industries in and around Jackson, including but not limited to : Aunt Millie's Bakery, Certain Teed, Omni Source, Dawn Food Products, Worthington Specialty Processing (Jackson location), General Materials (switch in and siding in but looks unused on Google maps), plus the steel facility off South St. The only other industries I know of east of Jackson are Jiffy and Chelsea grain, Is this situation similar to what I asked about B17 and B18 where one is one shift and the other is a second shift?

B33 does this train simply run from Jackson to Kalamazoo and back as the "road" train bringing in cars for Jackson that are routed up the Grand Elk? Does it do any industry switching along the way? Does it set out cars in Battle Creek?

B34 and B57 is this a similar situation to what I wondered about above. The wikipage lists B34 as Battle Creek to Kalamazoo, but the notes indicate is comes to Jackson, which isn't between those cities? Would these trains be the ones serving Albion?

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

B33 is JXN-KAL, arriving real early in the morning, somewhere in the neighborhood of 1-2 AM.

B34 is BTL-KAL and comes in during the day, ‘round noon or so, or they did the last time I saw them.

I believe B33 is also used as a power shuttle, dropping dead-in-tow engines for Grand Elk to take south to Elkhart.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Fred »

29J sets out the cars at Monroe because it is easier & faster (less conjestion) than trying to do it in the Detroit Terminal area and likewise easier for 20N to pick them up.

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

chapmaja wrote:
Ypsi wrote:
So which train is the regular train that serves Chelsea's grain elevator and Jiffy Mixes? Is that B22 or B44?

Which of these are regular trains and who do they serve?

What I see looking at the list from NS Railfanwiki that I posted above is (Michigan Line trains only)
As I already said, B44 goes to lake/ Chelsea as needed. The tailfan wiki is not always the most updated source for NS locals.

Current list-

B17: Wayne local, switches local industries east and west of Wayne. Wayne industries, pro coil, contractors, etc
B16: Jackson local switchs Cincinnati northern
B18: Wayne-Oakwood local
B22: Jackson-Albion local
B25: Wayne-Jackson local
B33: Jackson-Kalamazoo local
B44: Jackson local night time (switches Chelsea as needed)

And that's basically it for NS jobs on the AML as of summer of 2018.

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

B25 took a short train of steel coil cars west at 1am clear 30W. Probably back in a couple hours.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

So does B33 or B34 switch Koppen Milling in Augusta? Ypsi's list omitted 34 but they run thru Galesburg about 11am last 2 times I've caught them.

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

Is B34 the Batte creek job? I think I got everything out of Wayne and Jackson but forgot about BTL.

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

Ypsi wrote:Is B34 the Batte creek job? I think I got everything out of Wayne and Jackson but forgot about BTL.
Yes.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

bctrainfan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by bctrainfan »

NSSD70ACe wrote:
Ypsi wrote:Is B34 the Batte creek job? I think I got everything out of Wayne and Jackson but forgot about BTL.
Yes.
The B57 works Battle Creek (Hinman yard) to Augusta overnight and appears to do all or most of the switching of everything in between, including Knappen. I don't think they ever go all the way to K'zoo. Not sure if B34 also switches anything local during the day, but it used to be the BC to Jackson turn, and is now strictly (I think) BC to K'zoo (GDLK Gearheart Yard, formerly NS Botsford Yard.)

chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan

So one more question then about the work in Jackson.

Which crews are responsible for making up the outbound trains from Jackson.

From my current understanding, there are several trains that work Jackson.

Currently the inbound traffic all appears to be coming in on B33 which brings the cars from Kalamazoo or on B25 bringing cars from Wayne. Does B33 split the cars up for B16, B22, B44, and the JAIL interchange? What do those locals do with their outbound cars when they return to Jackson. Does B33 make up their train to run out bound or do the locals help make up the outbound train?

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiRailProductions »

chapmaja wrote:So one more question then about the work in Jackson.

Which crews are responsible for making up the outbound trains from Jackson.

From my current understanding, there are several trains that work Jackson.

Currently the inbound traffic all appears to be coming in on B33 which brings the cars from Kalamazoo or on B25 bringing cars from Wayne. Does B33 split the cars up for B16, B22, B44, and the JAIL interchange? What do those locals do with their outbound cars when they return to Jackson. Does B33 make up their train to run out bound or do the locals help make up the outbound train?
I can't completely answer this question, but from what I've observed, B33 does little to no switching before Leaving Jackson in the evening. Their train is usually fully built when the crew becomes on duty. I would assume that the other Jackson-based locals make up B33's train.
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon
YouTube - Michigan Rail Productions
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPPgdn ... wZHDIyfk_Q

Ypsi

Unread post by Ypsi »

B25 seems to be a weird local. Last night they cleared 30W at 12:42 am with an SD40-2, two coil cars, and another SD40-2. They returned at 8:30am clear 30E lite power.