Freight trains to be rolling between Ypsi and Jackson

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.

Re: Freight trains to be rolling between Ypsi and Jackson

Unread postby Ypsi » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:33 am

The WB B25 had about 25-30 cars last night, led by an SD40-2. I'm going to try and keep an eye on the starts, but they may have been running from Wayne the last couple times I've heard/ seen them.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown
User avatar
Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan
 
Posts: 5191
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: Freight trains to be rolling between Ypsi and Jackson

Unread postby Steve B » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:31 pm

Maybe this thread should be moved to the Train Location Updates section.
Steve B
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 282
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:03 pm
Location: East Lansing

Re: Freight trains to be rolling between Ypsi and Jackson

Unread postby Ypsi » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:16 am

B25 has been running East by CP 28 between 2am and 2:30am for the last two weeks. Very consistent. Also they have been rating 6 axel power, including wide cabs. Normals 10-20 cars EB with a decent variety. I believe they are running 5 days a week, seems to be Sunday-Thursday starts (10:30pm in JXN). They would be back west around 4 hours after clearing CP28 between 5:30-6:00 am ahead of Amtrak 351.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown
User avatar
Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan
 
Posts: 5191
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: Freight trains to be rolling between Ypsi and Jackson

Unread postby Ben Higdon » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:16 am

Ypsi wrote:B25 has been running East by CP 28 between 2am and 2:30am for the last two weeks. Very consistent. Also they have been rating 6 axel power, including wide cabs. Normals 10-20 cars EB with a decent variety. I believe they are running 5 days a week, seems to be Sunday-Thursday starts (10:30pm in JXN). They would be back west around 4 hours after clearing CP28 between 5:30-6:00 am ahead of Amtrak 351.


Thanks for the update. Still hoping to catch them some morning.
User avatar
Ben Higdon
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 761
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:02 pm

Re: Freight trains to be rolling between Ypsi and Jackson

Unread postby Ypsi » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:20 pm

Back west CP28 at 6:30am this morning. Seems like 4 hours is about the time they spend East of CP28 most days
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown
User avatar
Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan
 
Posts: 5191
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: Freight trains to be rolling between Ypsi and Jackson

Unread postby Ypsi » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:32 am

Power is currently a pair of SD70M's. They have still been consistent 2-2:30 EB by CP28 and then 6:00-6:45 WB by CP 28. Normally more cars going west than coming east. Tonight was lite power EB. Most mornings they have 6-9 cars EB then 12-30 WB. They have hide wide cabs for the last week or so.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown
User avatar
Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan
 
Posts: 5191
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: Freight trains to be rolling between Ypsi and Jackson

Unread postby Ypsi » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:15 am

B25 is still running, and has shifted to a more regular later schedule. On most days they are by CP28 eastbound around 2-3am still, but they come back west after Amtrak 351. That puts them by CP28 again at about 8am or so. During the spring and summer hey should easily always be daylighted westbound. Car counts have been between 8 or so and up to 30 cars. Today's B25 seemed to have around 30 cars westbound, they cleared at 8:05 am last 30W.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown
User avatar
Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan
 
Posts: 5191
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: Freight trains to be rolling between Ypsi and Jackson

Unread postby chapmaja » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:09 am

Ypsi wrote:B25 is still running, and has shifted to a more regular later schedule. On most days they are by CP28 eastbound around 2-3am still, but they come back west after Amtrak 351. That puts them by CP28 again at about 8am or so. During the spring and summer hey should easily always be daylighted westbound. Car counts have been between 8 or so and up to 30 cars. Today's B25 seemed to have around 30 cars westbound, they cleared at 8:05 am last 30W.


Where exactly is CP28?

I know I've heard them near Dexter a couple times, and saw them once, about 8:30 a few weeks ago.
chapmaja
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 573
Joined: Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:02 pm

Re: Freight trains to be rolling between Ypsi and Jackson

Unread postby Steve B » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:19 pm

I gather that CP 28 is where the double track ends, between Ford Blvd (MP 27.77) and Michigan Ave (MP 28.71).
Steve B
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 282
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:03 pm
Location: East Lansing

Re: Freight trains to be rolling between Ypsi and Jackson

Unread postby Ypsi » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:49 pm

CP 28 is the old CP Ypsi.

Accessed at Ypsi ct. and Michigan Ave. Single to Double track.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown
User avatar
Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan
 
Posts: 5191
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: Freight trains to be rolling between Ypsi and Jackson

Unread postby Dan Cluley » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:05 pm

Are they still running Sun-Thurs?
Dan Cluley
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 784
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:58 am
Location: Lansing

Re: Freight trains to be rolling between Ypsi and Jackson

Unread postby Ypsi » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:52 pm

Yes depart Jackson Sunday-Thursday on duty around 22:00, arrive back at Jackson Monday-Friday around 09:00.
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown
User avatar
Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan
 
Posts: 5191
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: Freight trains to be rolling between Ypsi and Jackson

Unread postby Southern Man » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:49 pm

Hello all, I'm new to the area and trying to understand the operations between Amtrak, and Norfolk Southern. Do I understand correctly that the state owns the line? Does NS provide freight service on the line the whole way, or just between Jackson and the Detroit area? Thanks!
Southern Man
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:29 pm

Re: Freight trains to be rolling between Ypsi and Jackson

Unread postby Farmboybello » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:52 pm

Southern Man wrote:Hello all, I'm new to the area and trying to understand the operations between Amtrak, and Norfolk Southern. Do I understand correctly that the state owns the line? Does NS provide freight service on the line the whole way, or just between Jackson and the Detroit area? Thanks!

Amtrak owns the line from Porter, Indiana to Kalamazoo and MDOT owns the line from Kalamazoo to Dearborn. NS provides freight service to all the customers located between Porter and Dearborn.
Railroad right of ways are for railroads, not bikes.
User avatar
Farmboybello
Railroadfan...fan
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon May 28, 2018 10:22 am
Location: Hartford, Michigan

Previous

Return to Michigan Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

x