Michigan Shore Operations

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Michigan Shore Operations

Unread post by Super Chief »

Heard Michigan Shore RR go thru Grand Haven at 11:07am during Coast Guard Festival. After spending the day photographing ships,1223 and other interesting sites left to go to Holland at 4pm. Got to Fillmore Rd. where MS trackage ends and CSTX begins and 2019 & 2025 are sitting there minus crew with 18 sand hoppers. Why wouldn't they just take the train into Waverly yard? Is this a normal thing? Both GP-38s were shut down.

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Re: Michigan Shore Operations

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Was this today(Monday?). If so, csx had their geometry train running on the section between Holland and west Olive most of the afternoon. Perhaps Michigan shore got there, asked the csx dispatcher for their EC1 to go to Holland, and were told to sit for a few hours. Crew maybe then got the ok from corporate to flee for the day and run into Holland tomorrow.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Toppysager
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Toppysager »

How often does MS run, specifically the job operating South of Muskegon? I was thinking of traveling up that way next week
I'll take a hotstot intermodal over a manifest any day

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Yep Z it was yesterday so a lucky catch. Probably easier to catch in Muskegon than at a blueberry farm at West Olive.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

It's my understanding they are running to Holland three times per week. Perhaps one of the local guys knows which three.
Toppysager wrote:How often does MS run, specifically the job operating South of Muskegon? I was thinking of traveling up that way next week
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

They had one Mid- Michigan unit 2019 and one Huron and Eastern 2025. Notice the bells were in different locations. 2025 hung out the side of the long hood and 2019 was under the frame by the fuel tank. If IIRC it's a MWF operation to Holland.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Seem to be running to Holland MWF again. For a while it was just Tuesdays and Thursdays.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

I think it has to do with the work load and crew availability. The GRE is usually MWF but sometimes its T Th.

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

I heard them blowing through Ferrysburg today about 10:30 ish. Not sure what direction (twin 350 chevys were clouding my sound receptors). Maybe it was yesterdays SB heading back north? Their timing has been odd recently.