Holton's LP Gas - Petoskey

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Holton's LP Gas - Petoskey

Unread post by MiRailProductions »

I was looking around on Google Maps in Petoskey and noticed a siding for Holton's LP Gas. The siding still seems to be in fair condition. When was the last time they used rail? My guess would be sometime in the last 10-15 years, due to the siding not being cut-off or overgrown. Does anyone know how many carloads they produced? Thanks for anyone who has information!
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon
YouTube - Michigan Rail Productions
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPPgdn ... wZHDIyfk_Q

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Holton's LP Gas - Petoskey

Unread post by AARR »

This location started out as Petoskey Gas located on C&O's line in Petoskey. After the wash out and line embargo they moved to their present location and continued receiving rail service. At some point they were bought by Petrolane and later Amerigas. Amerigas discontinued rail service (seems like in the early 1990's) and AFAIK haven't received it since.

I've seen a few picture with 10 tank cars on the spur being shuffled around the three unloading docks. They must have been a busy place when gas was in demand.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

MiRailProductions
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by MiRailProductions »

AARR wrote:This location started out as Petoskey Gas located on C&O's line in Petoskey. After the wash out and line embargo they moved to their present location and continued receiving rail service. At some point they were bought by Petrolane and later Amerigas. Amerigas discontinued rail service (seems like in the early 1990's) and AFAIK haven't received it since.

I've seen a few picture with 10 tank cars on the spur being shuffled around the three unloading docks. They must have been a busy place when gas was in demand.
Thanks for the info! Seems like they were a decent customer. Hopefully one day they decide to re-establish rail service, as it looks like even the loading docks are still there.
"If you are ever chasing trains, you're bound to end up on a 2-lane, double-striped road with a slow poke in front of you." -Danny Harmon
YouTube - Michigan Rail Productions
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPPgdn ... wZHDIyfk_Q

Tom Train
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tom Train »

As far as I know all is in place. A nice siding with switches at both ends and adjacent to the "yard" where the cars for Petoskey Plastics are stages.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

I believe you're right Tom. All the switches and track are in place. However, I think the track is in rough shape and would require some tightening up before it could be used again.
Tom Train wrote:As far as I know all is in place. A nice siding with switches at both ends and adjacent to the "yard" where the cars for Petoskey Plastics are stages.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

There was another gas dealer whose track is still visable across from the Salvation Army thrift store. The switch is still in place and when we did the fall color trains you could see the cement tank supports thru the vegetation. GLC doesn't go pass the Bear river bridge now since the city pulled the rail to downtown for the defunct trolley operation. Far as I know they haven't sold the Stillwater Mn. rail trolley and use a rubber tire one now. With Amtraks stance on private varnish there won't be any more Bluewater or charter moves anyway.
Last edited by Super Chief on Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

I was the conductor on a Lake Central Railtours trip out of Petoskey. Last runaround of the day when the engineer and I heard a strange noise creeping south thru the siding. I climbed down, walked around the front and got to tell him "we're on the ground". The lead axle widened the gauge :cry:. Some passengers chose to walk back to downtown, most waited for the buses.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

What year was that Raildudes Dad?

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Lake Central Rail-tours shut down in March of 2008. I figure it was 2005-6ish