Camp Grayling

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
kwh
Railroadfan...fan

Camp Grayling

Unread post by kwh »

Camp Grayling will be hosting Joint Live Fire exercises in August. I know at least one Train of equipment is on its way from New Hampshire and one from Rhode Island are headed to Northern MI

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Re: Camp Grayling

Unread post by AARR »

I read on another board one of trains was in Saginaw as of yesterday
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

James Sofonia
Grand Traverse Dinner Train 1996

Unread post by James Sofonia »

Sounds interesting, hope someone can grab a picture or two.

AARR
Ann Arbor RR Nerd

Unread post by AARR »

If they take the trains to Grayling it will be fun to watch them use the balloon track to position the cars at the ramp for unloading.

If they go to Midland I don't know how they unload them there.
PatC created a monster, 'cause nobody wants to see Don Simon no more they want AARR I'm chopped liver, well if you want AARR this is what I'll give ya, bad humor mixed with irrelevant info that'll make you roll your eyes quicker than a ~Z~ banhammer...

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Did Camp Grayling ever have their own power at the base?

PatAzo
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PatAzo »

Off topic but when was a kid a round landed off base during live fire exercises. My dad reminisced about being on an artillery crew that went to Grayling back in the 50's. They got to the range and set up the gun, an M1 left over from WW2 I think. They lined up with the aiming stakes and called the forward observer. "Fire one round for effect" the FO says and BOOM they let one go. A moment later the FO comes on the phone. "Fire one round for effect" BOOM they let another go. A chorus of frantic cease fire calls came over the phones. The surveyors had set the aiming stakes out of position and both rounds landed in Lake Margrethe. He said the fisherman were pissed.

M.D.Bentley
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by M.D.Bentley »

And one is in Dearborn.

KC8RBK
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by KC8RBK »

One whole track of the new yard in grayling north of 4 mile is all empty dodx flats today 1405