Musekgon Questions (Michigan Shore)

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Musekgon Questions (Michigan Shore)

Unread post by NS3322 »

Haven't heard much on the Michigan Shore in a while.
Do they still use the GTW shops on Henry Street? Or are operations now centralized at the old C&O yard on Western Ave.?
Are locomotives #2019 and #2057 still stationed in Muskegon?

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Re: Musekgon Questions (Michigan Shore)

Unread post by SD80MAC »

AFAIK they still do repairs at Henry St. Power seems to park there or at North Yard at night. MMRR 2057 was transferred to MQT last fall, MMRR 2019 was the only locomotive on the property until recently when HESR 2025 was sent over from the Huron & Eastern to help with increased sand traffic. They seem to be running down to Holland 3 days a week pretty reliably again.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

EWRice
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by EWRice »

I'm not sure they could even pull a locomotive in the building at the north yard. Last time I was in there a good portion of the tracks were covered with dirt/gravel and they were using the building for storage of equipment, trucks and other stuff. After the break in a year or so ago at Henry st, they put some money into that building. Updated some things on the inside and made it "a safer working environment".

I noticed that last winter they had many broken rails between GH and port sheldon. In the last month or so I have noticed alot of rail being replaced down there as well.

As far as a schedule I haven't seen anything consistant. We were held up at the swing bridge last week while we were on our way out for a sea trial by 2025 southbound with no cars. That is the first time in about 2 weeks I have seen or heard any trains in the area. They can be sneaky though.

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

Henry Street shops is where the locomotives are stored when they aren't used or for work. The old C&O Shops are predominantly MOW equipment and other equipment.

Got a pretty thorough tour on the MS about 2 years ago and I was able to go in both shops on a Saturday. Quite interesting to see what was left behind by the previous railroads.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)