WMI Reconstruction?

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
RailfanVBC
Railroadfan...fan

WMI Reconstruction?

Unread post by RailfanVBC »

This is my first post to this forum and I want to find out some more information on the current status of WMI. The other thread about the abandonment of this line has been very helpful with some recent information and history of this line. I live in Van Buren County very close to WMI and have seen it go from regular use to near total abandonment and now apparent reconstruction. I have noticed work being done clearing brush and fixing crossings on 59 1/2 Street and County Road 681 in Hartford and Butcher Road and 56th Street in Lawrence. I know that in Hartford the railroad is to begin serving an Amish metal shop on Red Arrow Highway but have not heard about anything else that would warrant the reconstruction of the line. Is service going back to Lawrence or Paw Paw? I did notice that the crossing on County Road 681 was paved over recently which I presume is going to be made into the new crossing on that road? If anyone knows anymore about the status of the line please leave a comment as I would love to know more about this interesting operation!

Also I have heard from people and seen video of this railroad giving rides. If someone on this forum works for WMI or if someone has the email of the owners I would love to know how I could get a ride sometime!

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Re: WMI Reconstruction?

Unread post by Super Chief »

Welcome aboard VBC, I worked the wine country dinner train when it was in operation and the weekend passenger excursions. The line is from what I know part of GLLX in Saugatuck. They store their engines on it plus run the limited freight on it. The story is they would like to get more customers and return to Paw Paw sometime in the future. It is very scenic and has a lot of history.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

RailfanVBC wrote:Also I have heard from people and seen video of this railroad giving rides. If someone on this forum works for WMI or if someone has the email of the owners I would love to know how I could get a ride sometime!
This the video?

Video by Mark Parren

Update: I reached out to the gentleman who posted the videos of the ride, and he told me he is friends with the owner(s).

RailfanVBC
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by RailfanVBC »

NS3322 wrote:
RailfanVBC wrote:Also I have heard from people and seen video of this railroad giving rides. If someone on this forum works for WMI or if someone has the email of the owners I would love to know how I could get a ride sometime!
This the video?

Video by Mark Parren

Update: I reached out to the gentleman who posted the videos of the ride, and he told me he is friends with the owner(s).
Yes, that is the video I saw.

jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

Cool. I was fortunate to catch a cab ride in the GP7 on the KLS&C from Paw Paw to Lawrence and return, back in the day. In Lawrence I got off for a few minutes and my then girlfriend took a picture of me standing next to a former MIGN Geep that was stored on a siding. The engineer was a nice guy and joked along the way concerning the condition of the ballast (none) and that at one point he was able to open the Geep up all the way to run four. The stretch that ran alongside Lake Cora was really neat.

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Super Chief »

Went over Sunday to see the make over. The ROW does look better, the crossings are still paved over though. There still is 5 engines in Hartford and the business getting the high-sided coke cars had 6, 3 loads and 3 empties. Also 3 covered hoppers on the other siding next to the CSX tracks. As a bonus went thru Decatur and a unit grain train was in town with 4 units, NS 7145 and 7149 bracketing a UP 5704 and CSX 7640 sub lettered GELX.

Farmboybello
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Farmboybello »

According to multiple documents from the Surface Transportation Board the DNR keeps getting 6 month renewals to try to make the abandoned portion of this line into a rail trail. The documents also show that there is about a half mile (the area right in front of the houses on Lake Cora) of the ROW that is not included in their rail trail plan. I assume that Pioneer sold the half mile of ROW near Lake Cora before selling the rest of the line to Hamilton Hartford Group. Even though the ROW around Lake Cora is sold I do believe that HHG has retained the right to get an easement to put rail back through the sold portion of the ROW. I figured that this line would cost about $10 million to be put in all the way back to Paw Paw which is a very large amount but this railroad seems to be eligible for multiple grants to rebuild the line. There are also multiple potential customers along the line and a new industrial park in Paw Paw which is located very close to the ROW and having a railroad there could be a major factor in attracting new business to Paw Paw.
Railroad right of ways are for railroads, not bikes.