Amtrak Michigan Services: Schedule Effective 07/16/18

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Amtrak Michigan Services: Schedule Effective 07/16/18

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

A new timetable went into effect today for the Michigan Services. The changes are listed by train, in order:
352:

352 will depart CHI 45 minutes later, moving the departure time from 12:40 PM CT to 1:25 PM CT. The train will arrive in NBU at 3:41 PM, NLS at 4:02, KAL at 4:36, BTL at 5:02, JXN at 5:55, ARB at 6:34, DER at 7:08, DET at 7:33, ROY at 7:57, TRM at 8:04, and PNT at 8:32.

353:
353 will depart PNT 45 minutes earlier, moving the departure time from 10:45 AM ET to 10:00 AM ET. The train will arrive in TRM at 10:14 AM, ROY at 10:22, DET at 10:42 (Departing 10:45), DER at 11:03, ARB at 11:32, JXN at 12:13, BTL at 1:07, KAL at 1:31, NLS at 2:04, NBU at 2:24, and HMI at 2:18 PM CT. Arrival time into Chicago is still listed at 3:05 PM CT, despite the changes to earlier stations.

355:
355 will depart PNT 15 minutes later, pushing the departure time back to 5:35 PM ET. The train will arrive in TRM at 5:48 PM, ROY at 5:55, DET at 6:15 (Departing 6:18), DER at 6:36, ARB at 7:06, JXN at 7:42, BTL at 8:36, KAL at 9:00, DOA at 9:29, NLS at 9:42, NBU at 10:02, MCI at 9:12 CT, and HMI at 9:52 CT, arriving in CHI at 10:40 CT, 15 minutes later.

No changes to 350, 351, 364, 365, 370, 371.

354 will depart ARB and JXN 2 minutes later.

These changes were made to improve connectivity to the rest of the Midwest network.

https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/proj ... 071618.pdf
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

GP30M4216
Saver of all History

Re: Amtrak Michigan Services: Schedule Effective 07/16/18

Unread post by GP30M4216 »

Seems like good adjustments for making connections with the rest of the system. When I was in college at WMU 10+ years ago, they moved 352's departure time earlier, which made it more difficult to catch that train if you had an early afternoon class on a Friday.....and nobody wanted to hang around waiting for 354's late night run east. Moving it back to ~4:30pm KAL dpt will improve this.

Also, it seems that 352 and 355 will make good use of the new doubletrack between DER and YPSI for their meet, since they are no longer scheduled to pass at the Dearborn Station as they have been for the past few years.

I still think that if 371 departed Grand Rapids a half hour later than it does, ridership would increase on the Pere Marquette significantly from both GR and Holland.

Thanks for sharing this schedule update.
Last edited by GP30M4216 on Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

Agreed, Nathan. The PM leaves just too ungodly early for a city the size of GR. If it was some po-dunk town in the middle of no where, and was an intermittent stop, I could maybe see it. But not being a large originating city.
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

SD80MAC wrote:Agreed, Nathan. The PM leaves just too ungodly early for a city the size of GR. If it was some po-dunk town in the middle of no where, and was an intermittent stop, I could maybe see it. But not being a large originating city.
I agree 100% with your thoughts.
In a perfect world, we would have a train connecting Kalamazoo and GR via the Grand Elk. :lol:

Ypsi
The Bestest Railroadfan... fan

Unread post by Ypsi »

NS3322 wrote:
SD80MAC wrote:Agreed, Nathan. The PM leaves just too ungodly early for a city the size of GR. If it was some po-dunk town in the middle of no where, and was an intermittent stop, I could maybe see it. But not being a large originating city.
In a perfect world, we would have a train connecting Kalamazoo and GR via the Grand Elk. :lol:
The AmBus from GRR to KAL isn't good enough for you :lol:
"Ann Arbor 2373 Calling... Milkshake. Over"

All Aboard Amtrak: Northbound, Southbound, and My Hometown

Jim_c
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Jim_c »

NS3322 wrote:
There is a group in Grand Rapids that was promoting this, not sure if they're still around. The rationale was a much shorter ride time to Chicago.
Trails to Rails. Put the track back.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Jim_c wrote:
NS3322 wrote:
There is a group in Grand Rapids that was promoting this, not sure if they're still around. The rationale was a much shorter ride time to Chicago.
Wouldn’t be shorter unless they made the GDLK a 110-mph speedway - and that’d require a heck of a lot of route realignments - like Harriman scale.

Dumb idea. An idea that needs to die.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Saturnalia wrote: Wouldn’t be shorter unless they made the GDLK a 110-mph speedway - and that’d require a heck of a lot of route realignments - like Harriman scale.

I wouldn't call it dumb, maybe unrealistic or a pipe dream.
But the way GR is growing (and somewhat Kalamazoo/Portage), a commuter train service (at the very least) may be something to consider.

SD80MAC
Ingersoll's Mr. Michigan

Unread post by SD80MAC »

NS3322 wrote:
Saturnalia wrote: Wouldn’t be shorter unless they made the GDLK a 110-mph speedway - and that’d require a heck of a lot of route realignments - like Harriman scale.

But the way GR is growing (and somewhat Kalamazoo/Portage), a commuter train service (at the very least) may be something to consider.
If they can't Ann Arbor-Detroit commuter service to work, I wouldn't hold my breath on GR-Kzoo!
"Remember, 4 mph is a couple, 5's a collision!"
http://flickriver.com/photos/conrail680 ... teresting/

MQT1223
O Scale Railfanner

Unread post by MQT1223 »

SD80MAC wrote:
NS3322 wrote:

If they can't Ann Arbor-Detroit commuter service to work, I wouldn't hold my breath on GR-Kzoo!
Compared to GR, Kalamazoo is a dump.

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but will there really enough commuters between GR and Kzoo to warrant a commuter service in 30 years or so? I feel like if your less then halfway from GR or vise versa to Kzoo driving just makes more sense.
1223 OUT! President and Founder of the Buck Creek Central, the Rolling River Route! (2012-2017) President and Founder of the Lamberton Valley Railroad, The Tin Plate Road! Proudly railfanning with Asperger's since 1996. :)

TSS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TSS »

SD80MAC wrote:Agreed, Nathan. The PM leaves just too ungodly early for a city the size of GR.
Hey, those of us who only ride St. Joe-Chicago find the current schedule quite pleasant! :D

That said, for the long-term success of the train, a schedule adjustment would probably be a good thing. But my selfish self interest hopes it doesn’t happen.

NS3322
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NS3322 »

Why aren't there two round trips of the PM? Not enough in the budget? Or is it CSX or NS?

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

NS3322 wrote:Why aren't there two round trips of the PM? Not enough in the budget? Or is it CSX or NS?
Currently it’s the lack of equipment impeding the additional trains

NSSD70ACe
The Conrail Guru

Unread post by NSSD70ACe »

O Scale Railfanner wrote:
Kalamazoo was listed by Reader's Digest as one of the nicest places to live in America. GR was nominated but didn't make the list. That's all I'm gonna say.

As for the PM, I figure that once we begin to see the new coaches arriving, there will probably be enough equipment to add a second round trip of the PM using the old equipment (refurbished Amfleet I's) until the Amfleet replacements begin to arrive. There might even be enough to add a GRR-DET PM, if the demand is there and CSX is willing to play ball.
:roll:

the contents of the above post are my opinion and mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

TSS
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by TSS »

NSSD70ACe wrote: As for the PM, I figure that once we begin to see the new coaches arriving, there will probably be enough equipment to add a second round trip of the PM using the old equipment (refurbished Amfleet I's) until the Amfleet replacements begin to arrive. There might even be enough to add a GRR-DET PM, if the demand is there and CSX is willing to play ball.
The PM is a good train—ridership seems solid and it’s reasonably dependable in terms of timekeeping, in contrast to the somewhat similar Hoosier State. But with only one run a day and no state-owned trackage to provide a sunk-cost justification, I have always thought of it as the weakest of the Michigan trains and more likely to go should political or budgetary winds blow the wrong way.

But you seem to have a far more optimistic assessment. I hope you are right—I would enjoy the flexibility of two round trips.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

NSSD70ACe wrote:
O Scale Railfanner wrote:
Kalamazoo was listed by Reader's Digest as one of the nicest places to live in America. GR was nominated but didn't make the list. That's all I'm gonna say.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's hilarious. Reader's Digest. Quite the authority.
TSS wrote:The PM is a good train—ridership seems solid and it’s reasonably dependable in terms of timekeeping, in contrast to the somewhat similar Hoosier State. But with only one run a day and no state-owned trackage to provide a sunk-cost justification, I have always thought of it as the weakest of the Michigan trains and more likely to go should political or budgetary winds blow the wrong way.
Amtrak in Michigan has only seen improvement under the last 8 years of solid Republican control of the State. If it was going to be sunk for political reasons it would have a long time ago. Michigan has had for the last while a very good sense of infrastructure - and a bipartisan will to keep the ball rolling on the issue.

Add to that the fact that is only costs a few million per year to fund the operational deficit of 370/371. Even if they wanted to cut the trains, it'd barely be worth it, as that's barely enough to repave a few miles of highway.

DaveO
Read more, think more, post less

Unread post by DaveO »

Which train is NS going to remove for that second PM?

And going way back when, the proposed reroute of the PM to Kzoo was to get off of CSX and onto the Amtrak owned and upgraded Kzoo to Porter line. History has recorded the result of that idea.

Why the CSS&SB has never been the answer to NS congestion seems puzzling. Politics? CSS&SB not wanting to give up control? NS not wanting to give up the tax dollars improving its own line for Amtrak and coincidentally its own freight?

justin_gram
Authority on Rabbit

Unread post by justin_gram »

I wish I still had it, but a few years ago there was an article in the Herald-Palladium talking about making a connection from the CSX to AML in New Buffalo. That way the PM could stop in New Buffalo, and get to Porter a bit faster. Haven’t heard anything about it since.

Edit- Lol, I see we’ve already had a conversation on that... viewtopic.php?f=3&t=28252

Steve B
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Steve B »

Saturnalia wrote:
Amtrak in Michigan has only seen improvement under the last 8 years of solid Republican control of the State.
Wow. That neatly ignores the $161 million for Amtrak in Michigan that the Obama's FRA awarded in Oct. 2010, and that Granholm applied for, but I guess that doesn't fit your narrative.

PerRock
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by PerRock »

DaveO wrote:Why the CSS&SB has never been the answer to NS congestion seems puzzling. Politics? CSS&SB not wanting to give up control? NS not wanting to give up the tax dollars improving its own line for Amtrak and coincidentally its own freight?
There's not really any good spots to get back over to Union Station once you're on the CSS... maybe over by Kensington Marsh. You'd pretty much have to have the Michigan Services operate out or Randolph Street, which gives you a Boston situation & makes it difficult for transfers. And doing so would mean loosing the Hammond stop (although you could add an existing CSS stop, maybe Gary airport).

peter
Given the choice; I fly Amtrak.
American Trainz Group