U.P. Flood Damage

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
jimnorthwood
Railroadfan...fan

U.P. Flood Damage

Unread post by jimnorthwood »

According to the https://www.facebook.com/UPTrains/ page the CN line in L'Anse took a hit in the recent flooding. The bulk of the damage seemed to occur in Houghton County, where rail is no longer. But I wonder if the heavy rain in that general area did further damage to other lines, such as the already out of service track to White Pine, etc?

Super Chief
Railroadfan...fan

Re: U.P. Flood Damage

Unread post by Super Chief »

I have always been curious as to where CN bridge and building crews come from to service the UP in times of need on ROWs? Upper Wisconsin or Minnesota since they would seem to be the closest? When the Munising line needs attention does Gladstone or the Sault crews have enough resources? Will these lines even survive? Us trolls are with you Youpers in wondering how this plays out? Equipment, motels, pasties and a host of other necessities come into play in these remote areas.

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Typically the day-to-day maintenance work is done by local section guys, based out of the hubs. I'd imagine they've got MOW folks stationed at Trout Lake and Escanaba, as well as probably Ishpeming and perhaps more. Larger work, like tie replacement projects, are typically extra/system gangs which bring in people from across the larger network, along with their equipment.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

Tom Train
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Tom Train »

Cn has section crews and equipment in Gladstone. Apparently there are several crews as there are ,many maintenance trucks on the road to and from Gladstone.