Open House at Michigan Central Station June 22-24

Anything pertaining to railfanning in Michigan.
blueheron13
Railroadfan...fan

Open House at Michigan Central Station June 22-24

Unread post by blueheron13 »

Just had this emailed to me, wasn't sure whether to post here or in the Crain's thread:

ONE WEEKEND ONLY

MICHIGAN CENTRAL STATION
OPEN HOUSE
2001 15th St.
Detroit, MI

This weekend, Michigan Central Station will open its doors for a look at its iconic past, while offering a glimpse into an exciting future.

Ford Motor Company invites you to tour the station's grand architecture, explore its rich history and share your hopes for the city of Detroit. This free event features an exhibit, produced in collaboration with the Detroit Historical Society plus a variety of interactive activities, including a Ford STEAM Lab and live mural making by local graffiti artists Fel3000ft and Shades.

Details and registration here:
https://fordmcsopenhouse.splashthat.com/
Amateur railfan trying to become a real railfan since 2017.

Fred
Railroadfan...fan

Re: Open House at Michigan Central Station June 22-24

Unread post by Fred »

"Tickets" all gone already, you can be placed on a waiting list.

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Unread post by Raildudes dad »

Got tickets for Saturday afternoon. My civil engineer daughter and and my new son-in-law electrical engineer (all 3 of us are Tech grads :D ) are going to check it out.

NYCMan
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by NYCMan »

I was fortunate enough, as were several friends who also worked at NYC/PC/Conrail, to receive an invitation to visit the Michigan Central Station on Saturday. I have not walked in the building in over 30 years. Very sad to see the shape that she is in. Very happy that Ford is going to rejuvenate her. Wish I could have gotten up to the fourth floor (Floor 1) to see the old office where I used to work, but that was not possible. 43 years of my life were spent here. I only hope to walk through her again after she has been rejuvenated before I leave this Earth. She will outlive us all!

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

It was a big disappointment and a pr nightmare for Ford. We were supposed to get a 2nd email with details on Friday. No email. My daughter kept checking their fb page for additional info / updates, nothing. We got there at 3 to find out the line had been cut off about 2:30. The staff was saying it was a 3-3.5 hour wait for those already in line. The doors were closing at 5 and the staff said if you hadn't made it inside, too bad. They said several things that lead me to believe they were disorganized, like come back about 4:30 and if the line is short you might get in. Go sign up for the Sunday wait list and be there at 9AM to see if you could get in. We were there for about a half hour admiring the building details and there was a steady stream of folks arriving with their confirmation emails in hand.
So we took a tour downriver along Jefferson Ave, Zug Island Great Lakes Steel etc. It used to be you could drive to Nicklesons in River Rouge, no more, big "Private Road - No Trespassing" sign. Cruised past the station about 4:30, a lot of people were still standing line and were not going to get in. Checked out the Q-line and Woodward Ave. The new development along and near Woodward and the number of folks on the street were amazing.
Took a road cruise around Belle Isle, stopped for Buddy's Pizza in Novi and Culvers ice cream in Howell. Overall, we had a nice trip to Detroit but Ford really dropped the ball on the open house.

Atkinson_Railroad
Railroadfan...fan

Unread post by Atkinson_Railroad »

Ford Motor Company did not drop the ball on your visit to the Michigan Central Station.

Blame Mr. Ford all 'ya want.

Your personal planning and preconceived expectations failed You.

John

Saturnalia
Authority on Cat

Unread post by Saturnalia »

Ford was overwhelmed by the response...who knew so many people would want to tour an old decrepit building? Clearly the structure means a lot more to people than probably anybody truly realized.
Thornapple River Rail Series - YouTube
Safety today is your investment for tomorrow

~Z~
Sofa King Admin

Unread post by ~Z~ »

Before BC Cobb power plant in Muskegon closed, they offered free tours one day. Said the ticket office opened at 9am. I arrived with TheVariance at 8:15am.. line was already 300+ people long. Said only first 200 were likely to get the tour, and said everyone else to depart after they opened at 9. People love free stuff... I feel your pain RRD.
Webmaster
Railroad photos on Railroadfan.com

Raildudes dad
Roadmaster

Atkinson_Railroad wrote: Your personal planning and preconceived expectations failed You.
John
Not really, we planned the best we could given the limited information that Ford gave us. It did not surprise me that we didn't get in. I did see a number of people that when were told the "ticket" in their hand didn't mean anything that got angry thus bad pr for Ford. There was no reason they couldn't have posted updated info on their fb page.
We were disappointed we didn't get inside but made lemonade out of the lemon. It was refreshing to see the life on Woodward Ave. and the on-going refurbishing of Belle Isle. The CSL Laurentien was down-bound at speed at Belle Isle - pretty neat to see. We are engineers so we like seeing Zug Island, the bridges over the Rouge, the rebuild of I-75 and the prep work for the Gordy Howe.
So yes, we were really disappointed to not get in but considered it a good day trip to Detroit.

Jetlink
Not a Railfan

Unread post by Jetlink »

Atkinson_Railroad wrote:Ford Motor Company did not drop the ball on your visit to the Michigan Central Station.

Blame Mr. Ford all 'ya want.

Your personal planning and preconceived expectations failed You.

John
Hi John,

I hope you have a pleasant day today. Seems like you could use a little cheering up. If we ever happen to meet up or cross paths anywhere lunch, dinner, drinks or whatever is on me. Just mention this post. Cheers and smiles. :D

Randy
interested in trains

Patiently waiting for LansingRailfan to antagonize me in his tagline